1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

superb - the chromate paint just brings it nicely together. Are you going to weather it? IIRC you are not a big weathering guy, but a lovely wash would make those details pop. Also, as you know, chipping and scratching is easy when you are using real metal.

Sorry, not telling you how to do your job, but I come from an armour modelling background and I can't help myself!

Peter,

I've been doing some much needed catch up on your build. You're really smashing ahead with this! 

I am curious though, how did you glue the styrene strip so straight on your PE strips to make those stringers? Did you have to brace it taught at either end?

In any case, a tremendous result!

Cheers,

Craig

Hi folks :)

11 hours ago, richdlc said:

superb - the chromate paint just brings it nicely together. Are you going to weather it? IIRC you are not a big weathering guy, but a lovely wash would make those details pop. Also, as you know, chipping and scratching is easy when you are using real metal.

Sorry, not telling you how to do your job, but I come from an armour modelling background and I can't help myself!

Hi Rich - yes I will do some mild weathering with washes etc and scratching the paintwork so it should bring it to life a bit :) What are you working on? haven't seen a WIP in a while or have I missed it?

2 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Peter,

I've been doing some much needed catch up on your build. You're really smashing ahead with this! 

I am curious though, how did you glue the styrene strip so straight on your PE strips to make those stringers? Did you have to brace it taught at either end?

In any case, a tremendous result!

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig, thanks for dropping by :)

the stringers were the product of some trial and error, but I ultimately learned that I could clamp the PE strip with the rivets on it in my longest Hold'nFold tool so the central stringer would but against the flat edge and then just went along it wicking thin CA to get a start holding it in place - then once it was sturdy enough, I took it out of the tool and wicked CA along the whole join either side..

in only 2 of 12 stringers did it actually stick to the tool so it worked quite well - here it is with an offcut..

WIP600_zpspe9wjbmy.jpg

HTH

Peter

11 hours ago, airscale said:

Hi folks :)

Hi Rich - yes I will do some mild weathering with washes etc and scratching the paintwork so it should bring it to life a bit :) What are you working on? haven't seen a WIP in a while or have I missed it?

Hi Craig, thanks for dropping by :)

the stringers were the product of some trial and error, but I ultimately learned that I could clamp the PE strip with the rivets on it in my longest Hold'nFold tool so the central stringer would but against the flat edge and then just went along it wicking thin CA to get a start holding it in place - then once it was sturdy enough, I took it out of the tool and wicked CA along the whole join either side..

in only 2 of 12 stringers did it actually stick to the tool so it worked quite well - here it is with an offcut..

WIP600_zpspe9wjbmy.jpg

HTH

Peter

Thanks Peter! Clever use of the tool indeed! 

You still make it look so easy though ;)

Craig

hello again my friends :)

sometimes you get to a bit of a model and get a bit overwhelmed - that is me now in this wheel bay. The Spitfire I did was simplicity itself, a few ribs, a few pipes & done - the P51 is a complex aeroplane with many things going on and crucially differences between the C and D model (for which there are more reference pics about...)

..when this happens, I just try and pick a part as at some point it's got to be made, so why not now... I might not fit it to the airframe yet while I work out all the layers of stuff so things don't clash with each other, but to maintain momentum just pick something & crack on...

..this looked fun, so I started with it - its a condenser of some sort and in a 'C' is the opposite bay to a 'D'..

WIP602_zps3gwvbijb.jpg

..I got my lathe out & dusted it off and started turning the end caps - I only took one pic and it's rubbish so sorry about that..

WIP601_zpsva7jtix0.jpg

..I also made some of the pipe unions on the lathe from hex stock and soon had a kit of parts to make it.. the decal for the word 'CAUTION' was letter by letter stolen from a 1/24 Mosquito decal for something or other - the little one says Fuel when it shouldn't but thats our little secret ...

WIP603_zpshgm2yfwf.jpg

WIP607_zpsl3hkxy0o.jpg

WIP608_zpsbmerxtqs.jpg

..next was the inner gear door retraction jacks - again these are in a different place on a 'C' - right up front in the big hole in the roof of the bay, whereas on a 'D' they are on the rear spar face..

..you can see one of the pair at top left with a label hanging off it..

WIP605_zpsywpmdoxx.jpg

..lathed the piston parts and got the size / angles from drawings..

..the three little lugs on the fronts of the jacks had to be made and added one by one as I had no idea how to do it otherwise..

WIP604_zps5ickqntv.jpg

..and painted & decalled - this time stolen from what may have been a Sea Fury..

WIP606_zpsmvwd0w9z.jpg

..one of the most intimidating parts is a fuel selector valve assembly - the multi-pipe thing seen here on the right with all the pipe stubs..

WIP611_zpsicicxa6a.jpg

..had it been a hexagon it may have been simpler as I have some 6mm Hex brass stock, but it's not, it's a pentagon...

..I started by turning the centre boss on the lathe, then measured & marked out where to file flats on some ali rod and filed faces to start the core part, I also ground 'V's' into some brass tube so I could bend it at 90 degrees and solder it as you can see the unions the real one has are not curved like just bending a pipe would be so this was the only option..

..I made the pipe unions one by one...

WIP612_zpsvyvu0k5f.jpg

..cut the core off and drilled it toaccept the unions, I also added some airscale bezels to get the fittings on the faces...

WIP613_zpsbpjpebah.jpg

..and dry fitted - all these unions are at specific angles so I will work that out & fit them properly tomorrow..

..I will add heat shrink tubing for the rubber pipework later on..

WIP614_zpsp8twpeki.jpg

WIP615_zpsje2ct1ea.jpg

..the last little bit was adding the fuel gauge to the centre rib..

WIP610_zpsygqblfyx.jpg

..and the back of the instrument with it's wiring...

WIP609_zps3ccaiqeb.jpg

..if every day I make a part, one day it will be complete...

TTFN

Peter

lovely detail work as you do Peter, you are going to be entertained  on that wheel bay, so many parts, it will look amazing for sure!  I have seen different color configurations on unrestored  Mustang's wheel bays, most of them have the top cover in bare aluminum showing the Alclad lettering  like the pic you posted, are you replicating that also? 

cheers

Edited by Antonio Argudo

7 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Are you kidding?! This isn't magic Kevin, it's freakin' sorcery, that's what this is! :wacko:

I think we should create a whole new thread category: Peter's works in progress.

Cheers,

Wolf

Totally agree.  It's like Usain Bolt sprinting against the stereotypical modeler- and that visual isn't pretty!

Stereotypical Modeler

Are you going to weather it?

Methinks the weathering will happen all by itself, e.g. when Peter works the wheelbay to install the gazillion gizmos, hydraulic, pneumatic and fuel line stuff, thereby scratching the surface and putting a lot of sweat & grease in there (no need to wear the gloves). This thing is so big, it does need panel accentuation as much as the original: None ;-)

Every little bit is a masterpiece. Can you stop being awesome? Even just for one day? :whistle:

Brilliant work my friend, and inspirational! I think I need to dust off my lathe too, although unfortunately mine doesn't produce magic like yours seems to. ;)

Your pace of completion is staggering, piece by piece!

Craig