airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

does anyone know if a factory WW2 CBI Mustang would have the interior of the belly intake painted like this one?

WIP523_zpsepd9mv4u.jpg

..all the scoop images I can find are resto birds in which it is white or silver

I am stuck....

TIA

Peter

Peter - good question on the interior paint of the scoop.  It applies to many interior features.  It's my understanding that as the war progressed, less and less use of paint and primer were done at the factories.  That is a simple statement that is probably more complicated than that.  I think though that the inside of this scoop was just natural metal.

I looked for good scoop pics on Upupa Epops, which is in Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, and which is the most accurate restoration I know of, but couldn't find anything.  Also it's a D-model.  

Here is a great walkaround video of Cripes a Mighty 3 (also a D-model), which is purported to be a pretty accurate restoration.  About 15 minutes in, they get all inside that scoop, and it's silver in there.

evening & thanks chaps :)

Been working on the air intake and the exit duct - after wondering if the interior was painted I found this shot of another aircorps P51 and can see where there is closed airframe it's painted and where there is airflow it's natural metal so thats what I went with...

WIP537_zpsxkz1xpmw.jpg

inside the underwing airscoop is an oil cooler (I think) that is oval and sits in the formed fairing seen above - behind that is a big square radiator (I think) - I made the radiator from scored black card and litho framing (from a plan, and oddly the dividing bars are offset like in the pic) and I made a balsa form to vacform the fairing the oil cooler sits in...

WIP524_zps2ejs2frc.jpg

..this was the skinned while still in the form - I left it in and just cut away what I didnt need later on - vacforming over balsa causes the plastic to virtually bond with it as there are so many airholes in it...

..I have started to tap in the indentation with the ball end of my ball pein hammer..

WIP525_zpsvvfvm6j3.jpg

..I forgot to have the oil cooler made in my etch run so I had to make it - I just used pipe screens but had to join two down the middle..

WIP526_zpsv5t1u2gf.jpg

..and the finished assembly - this sits nicely in the airframe...

WIP527_zpsmkjvp8kc.jpg

..the exit duct on the model was out and it was hard to make sense of where the internal skinning is so I just made a pack of parts from the plan so I knew it was right..

WIP529_zps4jvbikcl.jpg

..some ultra violence was then committed...

WIP528_zpsiyh8qrub.jpg

..to make the two interface together...

WIP530_zps5msht1ou.jpg

WIP531_zpshx6pisy3.jpg

..this was then rough filled with P40..

WIP532_zpstbda6hh3.jpg

..another exit duct was needed so this was laid out...

WIP533_zpskoxta7ua.jpg

..and a bit of primer to see what's what...

WIP535_zpslbreeqbh.jpg

WIP536_zpsbacnqnq5.jpg

WIP534_zpsjrsxznnp.jpg

..lots more work to do as the exit duct especially is quite a complex collection of shapes & fillets...

TTFN

Peter

One of the most complex areas of the P-51.  You are doing some heavy lifting here - so far it looks great Peter.  If you cannot find drawings, let me know.  I can help, since i have been here before.  

19 hours ago, airscale said:

.I have started to tap in the indentation with the ball end of my ball pein hammer..

WIP525_zpsvvfvm6j3.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Ok, I don't see how in the blazes of creation you made this part so perfect. I am dumbfounded even after seeing the steps behind it.

Edited by BiggTim

In general, as the war progressed they began doing less and less interior primer.

They determined the estimated service life to be so short in combat that corrosion was not going to be a concern!

evening ladies & thank you :)

have been sorting out more of the basic structural elements so ultimately I have the airframe ready to skin in one (long) go, rather then the Spitfire where I did it bits at a time and had trouble protecting finished work as I did some pretty violent things like those I am doing now...

starting with the tailwheel well - I started byu cutting just the doors out, but soon realised I could not detail the inside through the small aperture - I won't go mad in here, but I will replicate most of what I can see - here is the real (current) Lopes Hope..

WIP538_zpse4vtpel3.jpg

..I started by cutting out the section between two fuselage stations in between the whole structure and getting rid of all the solid foam inside - painted it black so none of this is seen...

WIP540_zpsnvfjay57.jpg

..then from many scaled plan parts I assembled the main structure from litho, with brass strengthening where the wheel leg will mount...

WIP539_zpsxrenvuuw.jpg

..added some details and skinned the sides of it so it can drop in as a complete pod...

WIP541_zpsuiawerdy.jpg

..this was then added and CA'd into position ready for the fuselage section to be added back & filling..

WIP542_zpswk6qx4ry.jpg

..and after cleaning up, the basics are in there I can come back to later..

WIP544_zpsnnggaekx.jpg

..I also added the airscoop and got the shapes in this area where I was happy with them..

WIP545_zpsxmaxycee.jpg

WIP543_zpsx4ygzrkj.jpg

..the next bit of surgery was around the wing fillets - they seem quite complex on a P51 with the top edge sitting over the flaps and a lower fairing cut away right back to the fuselage wall..

WIP546_zpsjolvlsft.jpg

..the moulded fillet is a bit ugly and will need quite a bit of work..

WIP547_zpsrjm5meug.jpg

..I made a slit in the fuselage and added a brass template from a scaled plan - I also faked a flap from bent litho so I could get the dimensions right...

WIP548_zps9kbghot9.jpg

..then lots of filling & shaping and trying hard to work around and not damage the skinned part of the airscoop...

WIP549_zpsl5b82pzv.jpg

..and finally after a shot of primer to see whats what, the basics seem to be coming together...

WIP550_zpssr8oeep1.jpg

WIP551_zpsakfksuha.jpg

WIP552_zpsh1vm5mlo.jpg

..the skin panels that have to go over that lot are quite distinctive so looking forward to that when the time comes :)

TTFN

Peter

My goodness Peter...…….I don't know what to say except come out to NZ, I have some sheet allu skinning on a real aeroplane I could get you to do!

Amazing and inspiring all at once, thanks for updating us!

Cheers Anthony