1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Guest Peterpools

Looks really complicated and way above my abilities but I pursue my greatest ability: to buy more PE and AM then I actually will ever use

Peter

You've got fronts and backs and tops and bottoms, it seems.  Are you laminating PE?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark

Yes, most parts are a laminate as when the metal is half etched to give relief it goes down to only being half the thickness so is not very stable and can curl...

here you can see the main IP surround - the one on the left is full thickness, no etching other than its outline shape and the holes etc - this is a rigid part and forms the base on which the part on the right is laminated. That part is half etched everywhere except the light grey areas which are left full thickness - that way you build 3 dimensional relief for things like rivets, bezels placard plates etc but on it's own this part is pretty flimsy so needs the solid laminate base to make up one rigid, detailed structure..

WIP149_zpsaph6fbp6.jpg

the actual IP in the middle where the instruments go is one of three - a base, another one carrying bezels, and this one because on the P51the bezels are sort of flush with the panel but distinct in their own right..

WIP150_zpsn3dreqme.jpg

the whole fret is made up of hundreds of components like these, mostly laminate assemblies and will be nickel Silver rather than brass as it has the same properties but chips to a realistic bare metal finish - so actually it looks more like this..

WIP148_zpstld6ghhv.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Ha Pete, gotcha!

I spot a grave divergence in your PE IP from the original, wheras in the second row of instrument holes (from the left) the second hole (from the bottom) has this extension in the lefthand bottom corner, which should not be attached to this hole, but to the other one, namely the first hole from the bottom and vice versa. You got it all wrong, got it?  :fight: 

((to the clattering sound of knitting))

A+

Joerg

Ha Pete, gotcha!

I spot a grave divergence in your PE IP from the original, wheras in the second row of instrument holes (from the left) the second hole (from the bottom) has this extension in the lefthand bottom corner, which should not be attached to this hole, but to the other one, namely the first hole from the bottom and vice versa. You got it all wrong, got it?  :fight:

((to the clattering sound of knitting))

A+

Joerg

That is a fabulous spot Joerg - again you save me from myself.. :)

just goes to show how manufacturer drawings only tell part of the story and the constant edict should be 'check your subject' - in this case the two instruments (Altimeter & Airspeed) have been swapped vs the drawing

..so take 2 - and this time with all the layers and the bespoke instrument decals that will also go with the model..

WIP151_zpsvemiyncc.jpg

thanks again & I welcome anything like this to be pointed out as I can correct it - in this case via a new etch file to PPD :)

TTFN

Peter

thanks again & I welcome anything like this to be pointed out as I can correct it - in this case via a new etch file to PPD :)

What, you seriously gonna change this?!? Apparently I'm the king of them rivet counting nitpickers who like to point out minor "irregularities" in other peoples work! ... :doh:

And I hope it's not too late for the file swap...

Your bird will fly! (If nothing more)

Edited by BlackCanopy

evening folks :)

thanks for stopping by..

What, you seriously gonna change this?!? Apparently I'm the king of them rivet counting nitpickers who like to point out minor "irregularities" in other peoples work! ... :doh:

And I hope it's not too late for the file swap...

Your bird will fly! (If nothing more)

Hell yeah I am going to change it :) - can't have known inaccuracies on my watch and actually I seriously value rivet counters, being one myself. I think anyone and everyone grows with the input they get, some are a bit fragile about how they take it so I guess it comes down to how it is put (and it does need careful thought by the contributor..), but for me I would rather know however the news was delivered than not know at all...

...I need people to be my wingman, thats part of why I am here :)

l am interested in how the structure goes with that framing or structural members behind the pilot

Hacker

well, that will come fairly soon - somewhere on the fret is a big triangular part that is actually an assembly jig to get the angles & sizes of that rollover structure right, so once I get the PE I can make a start on it  :)

..no assembly news today, but I have spent days on recreating all the placards and stuff for the bespoke decal sheet for the model. I will tack it on to an airscale stock order so will end up with lots and lots of copies, but at least I only need one of everything on the sheet and will have lots of spares :)

placards, labels, the front of a Bendix radio in this pic..

WIP152_zpsm4lvcwwx.jpg

..fuel routing diagram, fuel controls, part of the control panel,trim control wheel labels etc in this one...

WIP153_zpsq3xkimbj.jpg

..instruments, throttle quadrant and IP bits & bobs to finish off...

WIP154_zpsis52hlef.jpg

..good to get this done while I wait for the PE and still need to add some external markings (most will be masks...) and see what is what for any decals I need outside the cockpit...

TTFN

Peter

..no assembly news today, but I have spent days on recreating all the placards and stuff for the bespoke decal sheet for the model. I will tack it on to an airscale stock order so will end up with lots and lots of copies, but at least I only need one of everything on the sheet and will have lots of spares  :)

Too bad you can't made them a stock item in 1/24 and 1/32 they look great :hmmm: . The same goes for that PE fret l could use two of those in 1/32 but alas l wish beyond one's horizons. :whistle:  :rolleyes:  On the plus side it is good reference as l could make my own drawings and cut parts out in styrene on my cutter. There are always ways around a problem isn't there  :thumbsup: l also managed to acquire the 2018 Corel draw for myself. I am still trying to find my way around that. There a few things on there that is universal to other programs and a few..well exciting features that l want to explore and use. :punk:

Hacker

Hacker

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Amazing work and your abilities to design and create PE component sets is out of this world.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter