1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

17 hours ago, sky said:

As said before, I'm from the 1/12 car crowd (...) but have bitten the bullet recently and got me some WNW 1/32 WW1 planes (Sopwith Camel F.1 "Le Rhone", Sopwith Triplane Raymond Collishaw and a BMW engined Fokker D.VII F Hermann Göring) - to drop the outcast flag ;) - and my intention was to simulate cloth and real materials before paint for those. However, I am not sure what cloth would match that 1/32 scale.

If you want something that looks like it, Aviattic decals produces linen effect decals, that give the look and texture of linen in pretty much every color you can need for WW1 planes.

Matt 

Something that caught my attention. Awhile earlier you were forming the fillets for the leading edge portion and showed where you have split the metal in one area. I was wondering if it had been attached at that point. The reason I ask is that I volunteer at my local community college as a teacher's aid in their jewelry dept. What caught my attention is that all metals will work harden while forming, and that was the possible cause of the split. If you can take the piece of litho off the model and anneal it again before continuing, you might have better results. Especially in forming multi directional bends and compound curves. Annealing won't mess up what you already formed, and you can selectively anneal sections that you need to continue working. Just a hint, but you probably knew this anyway.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks

Eric from Aircorps Aviation who restored the real Lopes Hope 3rd has been in touch asking for some pictures for the current owner – I thought as I had them, I might share them as I haven’t done an RFI post

It’s not actually finished yet as I am waiting for the display case to be built so it can go in there dust free and safe, but there are only a few things to do like aerials, fix the canopy parts properly & detail them, and the drop tanks & mounts

The final pic is with a US aircraft compass to give a sense of scale

poeZsut4j

pm7K7pItj

pnPRSKK9j

poRWP9O3j

pmwgdj94j

pmlOTtyYj

poJnUApgj

poYlXZUSj

pmGVXu2bj

pmDgP3ezj

poUaFgIqj