1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Oh wow!!!! 

Absolutely love the effect you've made on the tail surfaces. The aluminium tape over the leading edge really sets it off! As for everything else in this build, you just nail it every time.

What do you use to glue the wooden coffee sticks and styrene to the brass for the stabiliser cores? Is it just 5 minute epoxy?

Absolutely stunning Peter!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been following this thread with the huge eyes of a child seeing his first Yule! So, I have a question. I read that you're using litho plate for your models. I'm not familiar with the qualities of litho plate, but have always wanted to do a NMF and noticed that a number of builders use foil instead. Could you tell me why you use litho instead?

On 3/22/2020 at 6:33 PM, airscale said:

WIP1198_zpstdxpvalf.jpg

..a shot of primer show the fabric effect I was after..

WIP1200_zps58py1nha.jpg
Peter

Hi Peter,

once again, I'm sitting here with a smile on my face marvelling at the details and the work you put in. Plus every time I check in, I get to learn something in the way you do things or how they are made on the real birds.

As said before, I'm from the 1/12 car crowd (...) but have bitten the bullet recently and got me some WNW 1/32 WW1 planes (Sopwith Camel F.1 "Le Rhone", Sopwith Triplane Raymond Collishaw and a BMW engined Fokker D.VII F Hermann Göring) - to drop the outcast flag ;) - and my intention was to simulate cloth and real materials before paint for those. However, I am not sure what cloth would match that 1/32 scale. The Solartex texture you have used seems to work perfect for 1/18 but at almost half that scale? I doubt that would be suitable. And it's impressive to see, that the plumber's tape you have used even shows the texture of the Solartex underneath, brilliant!

Now without having had Solartex in hand, does it compare to stockings in terms of tightness of the weave / coarseness of the fabric? "Asking for a friend" ;). Actually no, I'm asking as that is my current plan (as far as plans go anyway) for the moment to replicate the cloth fuselage and all. And that is hoping that the texture won't be drowned out in paint - luckily one of the models came with an extra half of the fuselage for testing...

So if you were to digress and go for say 1/32 what material would you use to achieve a similar cloth effect there? 

That aside, I've just come to realize my last comment here was three years ago - in your Spitfire thread :).

Cheers,
Roman

howdy folks, hope you are all keeping safe and well

thanks also for all the kind comments - very much appreciated :)

On 3/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, brahman104 said:

What do you use to glue the wooden coffee sticks and styrene to the brass for the stabiliser cores? Is it just 5 minute epoxy?

Craig

Hi Craig :) I just use CA - much quicker and does the job really well

On 3/26/2020 at 11:50 PM, shark64 said:

This is my favorite build. i am learning so much from you.

Oliver, I am speechless you should say that as the reverse is the case - I see what you do in styrene and it just beggars belief. I hsve a loooong way to go before I could come anywhere near close :)

19 hours ago, wpierson said:

Hi, I've been following this thread with the huge eyes of a child seeing his first Yule! So, I have a question. I read that you're using litho plate for your models. I'm not familiar with the qualities of litho plate, but have always wanted to do a NMF and noticed that a number of builders use foil instead. Could you tell me why you use litho instead?

Hi there - litho plate is like thin sheet aluminium - a bit like the skin on a coke can. it is very different from foil in that it is stiff and rigid as it is so much thicker. Foil would pickup underlying scribed detail for example, whereas litho is a rigid surface in itself. I did a couple of tutorials (skinning & skinning compound curves) on using it here on LSP. I use it as it fully replicates an aircraft surface, taking rivets and 'oil canning' where subtle fluctuations can be seen in the surface and skin panels - plus there is nothing that looks like natural metal quite like it...

5 hours ago, sky said:

Hi Peter,

my intention was to simulate cloth and real materials before paint for those. However, I am not sure what cloth would match that 1/32 scale. The Solartex texture you have used seems to work perfect for 1/18 but at almost half that scale? I doubt that would be suitable.

Now without having had Solartex in hand, does it compare to stockings in terms of tightness of the weave / coarseness of the fabric?

So if you were to digress and go for say 1/32 what material would you use to achieve a similar cloth effect there? 

Cheers,
Roman

Hi Roman, welcome back! I think Solartex is at the limits of scale at 1/18, the weave is already getting too coarse, so by the time you get down to 1/32 I don't think it would work.. it is also very difficult to apply and is heat activated with a household clothes iron which works on some of the stuff I do, but could be very problematic on kit parts..

possibly another option is the tissue used on RC models - there are some very fine weaves and I remember using it with some success on some 1/32 Beaufighter tail surfaces many moons ago - I applied it with a wash of diluted PVA glue - perhaps try that?

I have run into a few issues on my Fw190 build so while I wait for the Hobbyboss kit and clarifying some stuff with Arthur Bentley, I am looking to finish Lopes Hope and get the drop tanks, aerials and canopy parts fitted

hopefully get an RFI thing up fairly soon once complete too

TTFN
Peter