1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

afternoon all :)

On 2/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, jenshb said:

Regarding the decals on the bare metal areas - could you not get dry transfers made up, or would that not work on the bare metal for some reason?

..that is a superb idea - I did look at doing it with my Spitfire and could only find one place in Canada that did small run and it was very expensive. I will look again though and if anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

..bit more done this weekend..

..the First Aid kit and gunsight pad were made from milliput and lead wire, with brass for the straps (as they are held taught and need to loom like it..)

..I am not good at organic things like this..

WIP1151_zpsmj7xlyvo.jpg

..painted up and although not great, I think they will have to do..

WIP1152_zpsksjrouef.jpg

WIP1153_zpselk2xec0.jpg

..then moved on to the side and upper windows - all the catches & latches were prepared and two tiny pins added so I can pin one to the other at the right angle..  it has been a fraught day as I HATE working with transparencies - the knife edge of a terminal ****-up being so easy to do just frays my nerves..

WIP1154_zpszcfp6haa.jpg

WIP1155_zps7bqaukwm.jpg

..I had left the protective film on so it was fairly straightforward to prep them and paint them..

..also weathered a bit by rubbing wire wool and scuffing them a bit..

WIP1156_zpsezpvphtv.jpg

..and with the film removed - there is a flaw in the top canopy where it didn't like bending to shape that has only been seen now the covers are off, but it just looks like a small crack so I am going to have to live with it..

WIP1157_zps5h7c6isv.jpg

..and pinned together..

WIP1158_zpsuotzy9gn.jpg

..a few more bits need adding like hinges and some rubbing pads, but this is pretty much done so a quick dry fit..

..the First Aid kit looks ok I guess..

WIP1159_zpszpxqtiw6.jpg

WIP1160_zpshljsxvbq.jpg

WIP1161_zpsmr4w9mg6.jpg

WIP1162_zpsh4co1jhx.jpg

WIP1163_zps9l7gq4bl.jpg

WIP1164_zps1aoy8sol.jpg

that's it for now..

TTFN

Peter

Never seen anything quite like this build.  Each photo is the classic double take, mistaking it for the real thing.  It is your talents that have done this - but I would submit it is the larger scale that allows that extra level of detail to be attained.

I love this.

'..and with the film removed - there is a flaw in the top canopy where it didn't like bending to shape that has only been seen now the covers are off, but it just looks like a small crack so I am going to have to live with it..'

25 Sheet Pad

Wet media acetate.  Radu uses it for his Bf109K-4 canopy.  I'm using it for the 1/32 Bf109F-4Z Trop I'm working on, found in my signature.  Flexible.  Won't yellow.

DSCN7080_zpscee679e5.jpg

DSCN7081_zps74402e2d.jpg

If you're interested.

Sincerely,

Mark

On 2/28/2020 at 9:23 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Its pretty obvious this is well on its way to another best of show bud...............

I foresee the introduction of a new category there:

'Only Pete can Compete'

Otherwise, the contest will become awfully lopesided (:P) and the competitors brutally 'demoralised'.

I'm off... ;--)

Cheers

Joerg