1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

So I have a question for you Peter.  When I was in the middle of my 1/18 effort Miss Velma, I like you was faced with scratch building the tail gear.  I went round and round with the P-51 SIG folks and I think we all agreed that war time Mustangs almost invariably used the fabric boot on the tail gear.  However I just could not figure out how to fabricate a convincing looking boot, so I did a major punt and just built up the gear itself leaving off the boot (I believe most of today's warbird P-51's do not sport the boot).     What are your intentions here?

Edited by JayW

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not been around much lately as I have a nasty shoulder injury that means I can't really do much, plus I am off to Thailand in a week so likely not back in the groove until early Feb

..that said, I do want to wish everyone Season's Greetings and thank you all for tuning in and contributing to my build log this year :)

WIP1113_zpsvodrepjr.jpg

all the best everyone & enjoy tonight!

Peter

I say Peter - that picture shows without words why the P-51 was (IMHO) the boss single engine aircraft of its time.  Just dripping with speed and lethality.  "B", "B" with Malcolm hood, or "D" - doesn't matter.  They were the ultimate air superiority aircraft.  It's great that you are recreating one with such skill and accuracy.  Happy New Year!  And mend up soon!

• 5 weeks later...

well good evening everyone :)

it's been a while, but having got Xmas, a vacation in Thailand and a shoulder injury out of the way, I finally got back to the bench...

so where were we...

Tailwheel... for some reason I have been putting this off, but it is finally time to make myself do it. I expect it's because it's a complex bunch of assemblies - predominately this one - this is the main bracket the tailwheel fork goes into - here nicely rendered by someone in 3D (I did try that, but it would have taken less time to make it :) )..

WIP1115_zpsvbjes3ht.jpg

..there are no drawings of the fork actually holding the wheel, but there are these for this assembly so I scaled them and coloured the main features to help me start a replica..

WIP1114_zpsn0rz4bos.jpg

..I started with the two spigot parts from bits of tube and the 'Y' shaped bit in plastic card..

WIP1116_zpsssj70xhe.jpg

..this was then assembled and P40 filler added to block it out a bit..

WIP1117_zpshg0bwtvv.jpg

..some shaping ..

WIP1118_zpsbw1bp07z.jpg

..and a coat of primer - it's a long way from being right, but it's a start...

WIP1120_zpsc1atkydq.jpg

..also Tim Perry kindly prined the 3D wheel design I did..

WIP1119_zpsq0mygglb.jpg

..in other news, the model has a name now - I painted the nose art using a mask Radu Brinzan prepped for me..

WIP1121_zps4ucfy4qr.jpg

.and Don Lopez's name & kill markings added under the windshield..

WIP1122_zpsw3gd58yn.jpg

..and the fuselage stars n bars - this is the second attempt after the first peeled while unmasking..

WIP1123_zps66kd3n7x.jpg

..it is getting harder to work with on my increasingly messy bench...

WIP1124_zpsa5e5dgbx.jpg

..hope everyone is well :)

TTFN

Peter

1 hour ago, airscale said:

..hope everyone is well :)

TTFN

Peter

God bless you are back Peter, missing  the progres on this build ^_^

the lettering came out perfectly, nice 3d resin wheels too!   

seems like the tail wheel had a protection canvas, some nice reference pics from laurent Boulestin, keep the good, cheers

p-51-damaged.jpg

imageproxy-2-h.jpg

imageproxy-2-cdf.jpg

DSCN3800.jpg

imageproxy-2-vg.jpg