1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

On 11/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, Fencer-1 said:

Loop Antenna link The fighter loop antenna has 9 inches diameter. "The loop itself is 9 inches diameter, and the unit is 14 inches high, with the base of 10 inches long, and 5.5 inches wide"

"Generally, a 9-inch rotatable loop, such as the MN-20" from this Manual

Wow - thanks Fencer-1, that is a very, very helpful manual - that along with a drawing Christian uploaded on HS gives me absolutely everything I need :)

loop7_zpsjz5gyupe.jpg

4 hours ago, Hacker said:

so the question is are you going to have another go at that Firefly?

Hacker

really not sure about what's next - the same problem stands with the Firefly as it did when I stopped it - no accessible drawings for every component, and I never really was comfortable covering all the metalwork in paint...

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Tigercat is in line first!  :lol:

Hmmm - highly unlikely the F7F will ever get finished - shame as I have 18 months into it, but there are bits now I look at and think look pretty clumsy - especially the fuselage skinning (it was my first one..). I know it's not what you want to hear (you especially ;)) but it's just how I feel and I am just being honest

I have been thinking about what comes after the P51 - but the rules I set myself are pretty limiting... it must be NMF, it must have a prop, should be a single engine and it must have accessible drawings- top of that list right now is this, but I really don't want to do another American bird.. if only a Fw190D could be found in NMF...

WIP1086_zpsqokfcyr1.jpg

I really don't know, but I think I only have a couple of months before this one is finished so better decide soon

Peter

2 hours ago, airscale said:

I have been thinking about what comes after the P51 - but the rules I set myself are pretty limiting... it must be NMF, it must have a prop, should be a single engine and it must have accessible drawings- top of that list right now is this, but I really don't want to do another American bird.. if only a Fw190D could be found in NMF...

I really don't know, but I think I only have a couple of months before this one is finished so better decide soon

How about a NMF Blackburn B2?

vintage-blackburn-b-british-bi-plane-big

I know its a twin, but how bout a NMF RAF Lockheed Loadstar?

np9ykdw2wzf21.jpg?auto=webp&s=c023ec8720

Field Marshal Smuts standing in front of the aircraft in which he made his flying visits. It was an ex-South African Airways Lockheed Lodestar, which retained its natural metal finish when it became No 234 of the South African Air Force. IWM Copyright

1 hour ago, Model_Monkey said:

Steve - I think you nailed it :)

I would love to do a late war 109 - it works on so many levels for me

It's well documented, fits with my sort of theme of doing the main protagonists airframes in a Spitfire, P51 and a now a 109, is the Erla hood which I like (and means no struggling to vac form a blown canopy), and I think HpH do a 1/18 109G - it could be perfect 

I just need to check it is a legit NMF airframe so will need to hunt down that eagle editions JG300 book or find a pic online of red 8

Thanks a bunch, it's really got me thinking :)

Peter

Wow - what great specs for the loop antenna.  Comes from the P-51 SIG guys I see!  I also asked them about the little fairing underneath the antenna, which is probably a NAA designed and manufactured part.  But lacking that info, I believe it would be easy to imitate given the data you already have on the antenna.    

Edited by JayW

13 hours ago, JayW said:

Wow - what great specs for the loop antenna.  Comes from the P-51 SIG guys I see!  I also asked them about the little fairing underneath the antenna, which is probably a NAA designed and manufactured part.  But lacking that info, I believe it would be easy to imitate given the data you already have on the antenna.    

No, it's common part for all manufacturers. "Government furnishing" as marked on Republic drawing for P-47.

49089448158_69bbedb1fd_c.jpg

Here’s my 6 cents/pence worth for contenders:

If Red 8 proves not shiny enough (it was sanded back paint) how about this one? I believe it’s one tested in the US just after war.

i-LLr9XX4-XL.jpg

Then again, there’s always this beauty! Love to see you tackle the contrast of fabric and highly polished metal

i-4CKWpfs-M.jpg

Torben