1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

thank you my friends :)

been away on business a bit so not much done, but I guess enough for an episode..

..ailerons...

lets take a look - see how there are both raised & indented rivets... there is also what looks like an overlapping panel at the forward half of the aileron (forward of teh trim tab) so I thought I would make a folded metal part with the raised rivets, and add the other panel on top with indented rivets..

WIP1014_zpsorhwnhis.jpg

..I started by adding both sides of the drawing together to get what it would be if folded out flat and pinpricked where the raised rivets were - also scored the trim tab...

WIP1015_zpslnij812u.jpg

..then after turning it over and adding the raised rivets, i folded it and folded the leading edges to get the inner (and main) part of the aileron

WIP1016_zpsd86kdlxw.jpg

..then I made and rivetted the overlapping panel, also folding down the leading edges..

WIP1017_zpsscjasuri.jpg

..a thick plastic card spar was then added and once I had made both ailerons, they were filled with Alec Tiranti expanding foam - this stuff goes rock hard and was actually a bit of ballache to clean out of the open end where the aileron meets the flaps..

WIP1018_zpsjh9zd71z.jpg

..with both done, I started removing the trim tabs - these were waste - I made new ones with raised rivets..

WIP1019_zpsim3ebza4.jpg

..soon both were completed..

WIP1021_zpsolrsln2g.jpg

WIP1020_zps86w7p48f.jpg

..the exposed end seen because the flaps are down was detailed according to pictures & drawings..

WIP1022_zpsyhwttwsr.jpg

..and with two fixing rods fixed into the leading edges, they were mounted to the wings - I might live to regret this but the wingtip fairings after profiling to neatly fit the ailerons were getting really fragile and will break so hopefully this will protect them..

WIP1025_zpshwtpbhhz.jpg

WIP1024_zpswvmh0doo.jpg

WIP1023_zpsfqxybfku.jpg

..Flaps next - they are an interesting, if similar structure..

WIP1026_zpsjaejkwfv.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Wonderful Ailerons Peter.  Nothing like Aircorps Library, huh?  That plus some amazing skills on your part result in shrink ray modeling!   Looking forward to seeing the flaps soon.  Will you show them full down?  It is my understanding that a P-51's hydraulic system was such that if left alone for a while, flaps would naturally sink down even if left flaps up initially.    Looks like flaps full down is 47 deg per general arrangement drawing 106-10001.  That is for P-51D, but the flap is the same for B, C, D, K, so I am pretty sure flap travel is the same.  I seem to recall I could not find a B-model general arrangement drawing.  But there may be one.

thanks folks

On 10/12/2019 at 8:09 PM, Radders said:

Amazing work Peter, not looked in here for some time and it's come on so much.. 

Will she be at Telford? I'm only going Sunday so I'll come and find you... assuming you are going. :)

Hi Radders, yes we will be there in our usual spot in Hall 2 - the P51 won't be though as it's too near completion so I want to save it for the comp next year. I will most likely bring the Spit XVI and have it on the LSP stand though :)

17 hours ago, JayW said:

Peter - I did not see any pics of the underside of the aileron.  Did you do the tab control rod and associated bracketry?

e82F0cql.jpg

Control rod is 102-52577, next higher assembly wing install 102-10001. 

Good spot Jay - I haven't done them yet as they are a bit fragile to add when I still have a lot of handling to do - thanks for the drawing though, saves me looking it up on Aircorps :)

TTFN
Peter

hello again :)

so while I can't fit them yet, I wanted to get the flaps built up..

I used the same principle as the ailerons in that an inner core with raised rivets was made and then skinned with panels with normal rivets - you can see the raised rivets on the trailing edge in this shot...

WIP1026_zpsjaejkwfv.jpg

..the first thing was to get the drawings into the overall 'folded out' shape along with the rivet markings - the raised ones are in threes along the trailing edge. there are also cutouts & shapes along the leading edge which curves under the wing trailing edge..

WIP1027_zpshttw62gl.jpg

..I always work in pairs if twothings need doing, so I don't do one and get bored doing the other, so bothe were made and folded..

WIP1028_zpsmsmkmjqy.jpg

..the drawings actually had me confused as they show the lines of lateral rivets in paired rows, but all the pics I have show just one row so that was what I went with - here are an upper & lower pair for the panels with recessed rivets - the bottom one has just been done, the top one already burnished out to get rid of the 'pillowing' effect of the rivetting process..

WIP1029_zpsivyasecz.jpg

..the structures were strengthened with thick card and an inner core made up to define the profile and stop sagging..

WIP1030_zps8pbyd9gc.jpg

..details added and taped up ready to paint YZC where needed..

WIP1031_zpshuydybz3.jpg

..then the rivetted panels were added - here tape acts as a hinge at the top, and is masking where the impact cement goes at the bottom..

WIP1032_zpshhtafwu9.jpg

..after painting the details showed quite well - I also noticed the curved edge that goes under the wing is normally seen quite glossy, I guess it doesn't get as much exposure as the rest of the structure, so I polished this area..

WIP1033_zpsljct7hyg.jpg

WIP1034_zpsuipxdmgq.jpg

..I also worked up and fettled the wing & fuselage so they fit and painted the recess YZC

WIP1035_zpsrv2wbuq2.jpg

WIP1036_zpsud6fklej.jpg

..the aileron detail can still be seen..

WIP1039_zpsjd27v1u9.jpg

..not at the right angle or fixed yet, but you get the idea..

WIP1037_zpslrgs67ts.jpg

WIP1038_zpsrcbwtxpb.jpg

..and that is the flaps nearly done - I will finish the fittings when I fit them ..

..I have the 3D printed wheels & hubs I designed from Tim Perry now, so they are next to take a look at :)

TTFN

Peter

Yahoo!!!  Awesome flaps my friend.  Will you actually make a flap hinge?  I did, and it was more trouble than it was worth IMO.  But it did assure the flap was oriented correctly in the hole.   Also, I am very interested in what you want to do at the fillet fairing.  Flap actuation on the real airplane is accomplished by a hydraulic actuator in the fuselage under the floor (or under the radio racks).  IT drives a torque tube (104-52608) that has an arm on either side which engages the flap drive fitting (which you have created so beautifully) via a push rod (either side).  See 102-52001.  This push rod (73-52622) is visible under the fillet fairing.  I did a lousy job with that push rod on Miss Velma.  But at least it is represented.  Wondering what your plan is. 

Edited by JayW

evening ladies :)

On 10/20/2019 at 5:55 PM, JayW said:

Yahoo!!!  Awesome flaps my friend.  Will you actually make a flap hinge?  I did, and it was more trouble than it was worth IMO.  But it did assure the flap was oriented correctly in the hole.   Also, I am very interested in what you want to do at the fillet fairing.  Flap actuation on the real airplane is accomplished by a hydraulic actuator in the fuselage under the floor (or under the radio racks).  IT drives a torque tube (104-52608) that has an arm on either side which engages the flap drive fitting (which you have created so beautifully) via a push rod (either side).  See 102-52001.  This push rod (73-52622) is visible under the fillet fairing.  I did a lousy job with that push rod on Miss Velma.  But at least it is represented.  Wondering what your plan is. 

Hi Jay - thanks for the tips - I have no real refs for what is going on and have just found page 290 of the manual seems to show some of the workings - I will just have to see what I do when I get there as I can't say I have anything as sophisticated as a plan :)

On 10/20/2019 at 7:11 PM, monthebiff said:

Super nice Peter, bet it's a bit odd getting the paint out here and there rather than the natural metal finish you have going on.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy - yes, it is going to be a bit odd painting all the tailfeathers black, and I will have to also paint the insignia & anti-glare panel... thats what I like about NM airframes - little paint :)

so, it's been raining all day here, so what better excuse that to spend the day at the bench :)

here is the task - something else I have been quietly dreading as it's so distinctive...

WIP1042_zpsdsyzbrbs.jpg

..the B/C doors are very different to the D, so this pic of Lopes Hope is super valuable reference..

I started by getting the PE templates I had made a while back along with lots of other bits & bobs after scaling the drawings - once I had these I made up laminates of sheet stock until I had the thickness right and dremmeled out the wheel disc and started to prepare the indentations...

WIP1043_zpscljylesa.jpg

..further refining the shapes and a quick test to see how the skin responds to the plastic core shapes..  seems ok so we press on...

WIP1044_zpsyicfv53z.jpg

..once the core is finished and has cutouts for the retraction arm etc added, it was lightly CA'd to a perspex sheet to start the skinning process...

WIP1045_zpsjgli8h4n.jpg

..after one try where I split the sheet, I CA'd the core to the PE door template and then CA'd that to the perspex - after working it some details start to be added..

WIP1046_zpsgksn4c5y.jpg

..the sheet was then removed from the core so the raised rivets can be added..

WIP1047_zpsbpy0ohyu.jpg

..the outer skins were made up..

WIP1048_zpsu73t2qvt.jpg

,,and after making the covering strip & painting it, the doors were assembled & detailed with brackets etc..

WIP1049_zpswl9eeucx.jpg

WIP1050_zpsgckoyupd.jpg

..this side has a strut mount in a semi-circualr indent..

WIP1051_zpsajvx6dba.jpg

,,and this side has the retraction strut mount..

WIP1052_zpsfq1kgvni.jpg

,and in place will look something like this..

WIP1053_zps0et2lgul.jpg

WIP1054_zpsa8xr0hh0.jpg

..thats it for now, lets hope it rains again tomorrow :)

TTFN
Peter