1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Well done Peter,

I can absolutely understand the complexity of what you're trying to do here. Having all the drawings in the world doesn't make producing a 3 dimensional part any easier!

That little metal box with the wires coming out of it....... how did you make that without seams? Advanced trickery and awesomeness I take it? ;)

Brilliant work as always though.

Craig

Oh yes I got up close and personal with the real deal at Oshkosh. Took plenty of pics for you, but I think you have the situation well and truely in hand!

Fnah, you missed the little paper label hanging from the string on the silver box thingy. 

I look at the photos of the real thing and then look at the parts you make. I think "hmmm, that doesn't look quite right" and I refer back to the photo. Then I realise I missed some little detail that you have added. You must have eyes like an eagle and the patience of a saint.

The windshield looks to be a major challenge.  It was a shortcoming of sorts on my 1/18 P-51D which has an entirely different windshield.  And I overcame it by completely scratch building the wind shield.  It was entirely single curvature (or nearly so) - which allowed me to simply roll form the "glass" from thin gage clear plastic, as opposed to a vac form.  The periphery trim being the biggest challenge - to mate it to the existing shape on the fuselage, and  the posts and frame.  

Also, I took that opportunity to make the posts and aft frame in such a way that they would accept the "glass", and look like the separate parts that they truly are.  This also allowed me to use thick gage clear plastic for the bullet-proof flat screen.  

With the exception of the small upper compound-curved segment (which would require a vac form), you could do the same thing if you wanted.  Oh what a project it would be - but with your mad skills anything is possible!  However I have no doubt you will make it look totally real no  matter what method you choose.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, DonH said:

Fnah, you missed the little paper label hanging from the string on the silver box thingy. 

I look at the photos of the real thing and then look at the parts you make. I think "hmmm, that doesn't look quite right" and I refer back to the photo. Then I realise I missed some little detail that you have added. You must have eyes like an eagle and the patience of a saint.

My Take:

"I look at the photos of the real thing and then look at the parts you make. Then I realize they are both photos of the model."

Insane workmanship...:bow:

:beer:

evening you fine fellows :)

thanks for stopping by & chiming in - makes my day to see people like my model :)

On 8/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

What's the name of the planet you're from again?

Kev

Umm planet Aircorps Kev - I spend so much time buried in drawings on their website trying to understand stuff I might as well live there...

On 8/19/2019 at 4:29 AM, brahman104 said:

Well done Peter,

I can absolutely understand the complexity of what you're trying to do here. Having all the drawings in the world doesn't make producing a 3 dimensional part any easier!

That little metal box with the wires coming out of it....... how did you make that without seams? Advanced trickery and awesomeness I take it? ;)

Brilliant work as always though.

Craig

Oh yes I got up close and personal with the real deal at Oshkosh. Took plenty of pics for you, but I think you have the situation well and truely in hand!

Hi Craig - the metal box is basically a cube of ali cut from a bit of scrap I had lying around - so no seams :) I would love to see any pics you have from Oshkosh, I don't have many of the finished aircraft, mine are mainly the resto shots..

On 8/19/2019 at 5:09 AM, DonH said:

Don't laugh, I nearly did, then thankfully I saw a picture of it wired up - ergo no label :)

On 8/20/2019 at 10:14 PM, JayW said:

The windshield looks to be a major challenge.  It was a shortcoming of sorts on my 1/18 P-51D which has an entirely different windshield.  And I overcame it by completely scratch building the wind shield.  It was entirely single curvature (or nearly so) - which allowed me to simply roll form the "glass" from thin gage clear plastic, as opposed to a vac form.  The periphery trim being the biggest challenge - to mate it to the existing shape on the fuselage, and  the posts and frame.  

Also, I took that opportunity to make the posts and aft frame in such a way that they would accept the "glass", and look like the separate parts that they truly are.  This also allowed me to use thick gage clear plastic for the bullet-proof flat screen.  

With the exception of the small upper compound-curved segment (which would require a vac form), you could do the same thing if you wanted.  Oh what a project it would be - but with your mad skills anything is possible!  However I have no doubt you will make it look totally real no  matter what method you choose.

Thanks Jay, it's so nice to have someone who has done all this before as my wingman :) I did start thinking I would vacform it, but after my usual failings I did almost what you said - pane of glass by pane of glass as will be seen in a minute :)

..I made up a new master plug to correct some shortcomings including not leaving overhangs at the back as can be seen sat on the wing - I used one of the pulls to just fill in some of where I have been chopping the fuselage about as I was starting to lose my bearings.. this is simply plumbers ali tape on the cockpit glass and a bit of litho to force the P40 filler into a nice profile of the fuselage..

WIP899_zps9bqdea3h.jpg

..I then used the mould/plug as a basis to just form the windshield panels out of PETG one at a time. The method was to immerse in boiling water and once soft put on a 2 inch thick bit of foam and just press down until it hardened again. Without moving I then scribed the reference of some of the straight parts of the mould so I knew exactly how it sat on the mould..

..these blobs are soon turned into the panels themselves as can be seen at the bottom - i removed a tiny strip of the protective covering around the edges so I can assemble it, but still protect it - the fact there is virtually no aggressive heat in this process means they will be crystal clear :)

WIP900_zpsybxwadpk.jpg

..sides are on the mould and the other parts coming together... the black sharpie edging means when you assemble it there is a visible trick where the thickness of the plastic just disappears..

WIP901_zpsinm4ewom.jpg

..CA was carefully wicked into joints as it was held on the mould and presto, a windshield... I also formed the rear former from brass around the mould and with a bit of brute force & ignorance..

WIP902_zps2kecciaz.jpg

WIP903_zpsnx5qjta2.jpg

..as this bit starts to come together, I need to drop in the instrument panel so I can build up the coaming around it and ultimately the windshield - as such the parts were assembled ....

WIP904_zpsfnt2kkpd.jpg

WIP905_zpswgvuvswk.jpg

dummy instruments & bits were added to the back to keep it three dimensional..

WIP906_zps1pkmdwqk.jpg

..and dry fitted  in place...

WIP907_zpsdyp0aamo.jpg

WIP909_zpst7etorhf.jpg

..I have also started to form the coaming - tricky as it is inside the windshield so needs to almost touch it all the way round, but also be a rigid shape to go around the panel - you might be able to just see it here..

WIP908_zpsmnaufbru.jpg

thats it for now, take care y'all :)

TTFN
Peter

Peter,

Again, like many others, I have no more words to describe your fantastic modeling skills, but I should still say the following:  You are very best, period.  Thank you for your continuing posts of your P-51C journey.

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Only too happy to help Peter! :)

914BnEQ.jpg

She is absolutely spectacular in the flesh!

ymdNlNL.jpg

v98hx4b.jpg

45Vbo7Y.jpg

BKCAODK.jpg

Interesting one here.... note the amount of random anodized rivets included in the mix. I trust yours will show the same!!!!

QpPWsIt.jpg

They didn't have the cockpit open unfortunately, but I tried my best with the light, and people

2isecSY.jpg

qIxmOOw.jpg

0QaYTYC.jpg

hmmmm, it's like I've seen this somewhere else before? ;)

4bv0FB2.jpg

6NCBl5y.jpg

tu9GWWG.jpg

Note the imperfect green and yellow lines on the strut

Dqjn9R6.jpg

B1Ba8jz.jpg

XdXRqlJ.jpg

This is super cool.... the dedication to the individual panel finishes in unbelieveable!

YOaDLbP.jpg

rKyEvvO.jpg

I found this really interesting..... I always assumed the intake was a pressed/formed piece, but this looks like it's cast...... May be a good thing for you.... no skinning!!!! :)

SIaotkM.jpg

Also, amusing to learn he pretty much decided to issue himself the plane! Great read!

Enjoy Peter :)

Craig

Edited by brahman104