1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

20 hours ago, airscale said:

question:

WIP865_zpssh35cuqb.jpg

do you think the cushion is a false lead - as in in the outfit Don is wearing does he look like he would have had a seat parachute, therefore if he got out of the aircraft there would be no cushion?

and note the life preserver / seat back cushion behind him - to me that doesn't look yellow, but is that just a trick of B&W photo's?

Yep , that's an AN7501 cushion , so he's wearing a butt pack chute which means there wouldn't be a cushion underneath him.

(unless maybe he was really short  :shrug:)

• 2 weeks later...

hi folks :)

Thanks so much for all your contributions - it's what keeps threads like this alive - we all learn something new about an airframe, and if that happens, I have achieved a purpose in posting :)

I discarded the cushion on the basis the pilot actually sat on a parachute pack which served the same purpose and in some ways I am glad as then the work on shaping the seat bottom can be seen..

I amanged to put myself out of action for a few weeks as I sliced my finger - not modelling but drying up a vegetable slicer - what a dumbo..

it gave me some time to do some design work that was overdue anyway and as I had been messing about with tiny bits of wire trying to do seat belts, I decided to create a small PE fret of seat belt parts, which ultimately grew as I went through the manual into an A4 fret with all sorts of other useful bits including window framing, gunsight parts, templates for the U/C doors and another set of panels that go around the exhausts as I want to try annealing them to get better curvature...

WIP872_zpsuzp0vllp.jpg

..that was about a weeks work...

also renewed my Rhino 3D trial and finalised the mainwheel..

WIP867_zpsdzrtg6ph.jpg

made the gunsight - its some kind of N3 type but not much reference on the net on this particular variant, but I did have a few good Lopes resto shots to base it on..

WIP871_zpseiyrqiiw.jpg

WIP868_zpsgkmulgqv.jpg

and I love this shot of the signal pistol - I have the mount in the fuselage wall, but not the pistol or the metal part it mounts to.. - I wasn't going to include it at all as the gun would be too hard for me to design, but had a brainwave that enabled it..

WIP870_zpsrsfltk69.jpg

..and here is the mount..

WIP869_zpsctgabrol.jpg

..now for the brainwave - it appears 1/18 is the scale of collector soldiers, and a company on the internet does small arms for them so I bought a couple of .357 Magnums for $0.65c each - bit of modification and we have a flare pistol :)

WIP873_zps2uudum51.jpg

..I only need the handle..

WIP874_zpsgywgxjl8.jpg

..now for some parts that have been bothering me since I started - seat belts...

when I did my Spitfire, they were the parts I was least happy with - made with ribbon, they looked a bit duff if you ask me..

after playing with different tapes & ribbon, I tried rolling some lead wire - it worked a treat, but was too narrow, so I cut some lead strips and rolled them out until they were the right size.. the fittings were all PE and it all seemed to work quite well..

WIP877_zpsh7ic5mi8.jpg

WIP875_zps5jsamg7t.jpg

WIP876_zpslq2xgueu.jpg

..they were primed, painted & washed & the paint scraped off the metal fittings - here before the hooking latch was added..

WIP878_zpsjpo5j4ln.jpg

..in place with the cushion, I am much happier with these than the Spit :)

WIP879_zpsitxemvqj.jpg

..the cockpit is nearly ready to close up..

WIP880_zpspa4f2fj8.jpg

WIP881_zpsktcdwvgh.jpg

TTFN

Peter