1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

'can't believe a month has passed since I last posted an update...'

I've been having the heeby jeebies without an update.

'..once it was all sanded away, I was really happy with the result..'

As are we.  Very nice.  I can't tell you how very inspirational all of this is to me .  I am so hopped up to do a P-51B I can barely contain myself.

Great show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

I've been wondering how to achieve equidistant rivet spacing on an asymmetric Echelon Lightning intake nose ring, and I believe you've shown the way.

Thanks, Peter!

Looking at that Shapeways spinner, it looks to have the texture of a sand casting, which I guess is the laser sintered metallic particles their layering medium deposits as the shape builds up. Are you expected to turn it and buff it to a mirror like surface? If so, I'd expect that would reduce the dimensions of what's meant to be a precision part. And even that's assuming no pitting or defects appear. Still, your skinning has certainly saved the day in producing a more than presentable part.

Edited by Chek

OMG - what an effort on the exhaust stacks and cutout.  Bravo sir, Bravo.  And the spinner is just awesome.

A reminder on the spinner (I learned this when I did the spinner for Miss Velma).  The front end of the spinner is flat.  See drawing 102-44003 (front shell):

EQsz3Otl.jpg

A rubber cover was pushed into the 7/8 dia hole (see drawing 104-44002)

mtnyjoFl.jpg

Is that cool or what? 

I added the flat, and added a little round filed .01 thick piece for the plug, and it turned out very convincing.