1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Yeah you just performed some magic on that wing fillet!  Keep it up.  

On a different note - I put a helluva lot of detail into the Miss Velma tail wheel strut and well.  It was fun too.  But I realized as I was doing that work that very likely wartime Mustangs sported the canvas cover in there.  I do not think, with all the mud and stuff, it would be good to subject all that critical equipment exposed in the tail wheel bay (like elevator & rudder cables?) to flinging mud.  I never did find anything definitive on that.  But I did with the P-47 effort I am involved with right now, and P-47's apparently used tail wheel well covers.  Having said that - your skills seem without bound.  I did not make a cover, but I'll bet you could!

Howdy folks :)

just a little update today..

I needed to sort out the landing light - just like this one...

WIP554_zpsfiede5lf.jpg

..started by cutting the section from the wing..

WIP553_zpssqjo2ro2.jpg

..the lamp itself has a rounded rim so I made up a vacform tool and vacformed it from black plastic so I don't need to paint near the glass..

WIP556_zpsq7wchkga.jpg

..made a chrome dome reflector from ali and glazed it, also made up the mounting bracket from plans...

WIP557_zpsfsqoo02k.jpg

..mounted it all and spent some time trying to heat form the leading edge from PETG in boiling water - it's the blue thing at the bottom, still in it's protective wrap

WIP558_zpsmsbmnypj.jpg

..hard to photograph it mounted, but it's all in place - the whole unit had to be virtually airtight so as not to let any dust in while it was faired in - a coat of matt black means the metal won't show when I skin it..

WIP559_zpsr7uiz4py.jpg

..also installed the gun ports by adding ali tube and lining it all up allowing for the vertical offset of the barrel tubes..

WIP560_zps5pcy0fs0.jpg

..not finished, but the grunt work is done..

WIP561_zpsgksbkcqb.jpg

..having done most of the big bits on the airframe, I thought I would move into the wheel bays - I decided to cut the skin back to the mainspar to give some working room and realised the hard foam had crept in and needed cleaning out...

WIP562_zpsitidkkph.jpg

..made up some 'T' stringers from PE and strips of plastic card - I actually made another version to be folded up but it didn't work as I forgot to etch a scoreline into the top fold - these will work just fine though..

WIP563_zpshdoifqvo.jpg

..the best place to start was with the central rib, so I made up a laminate from plastic & ali and scaled the real one's layout - mine is shallower as I have brass sheet in the wheelbay roof to support the leg mounts...

WIP564_zps1t8ohzkc.jpg

..the main details & openings were transposed from the plans and added...

WIP565_zpsfgrpck7g.jpg

..and then the rib itself was detailed - I will only add what is painted Yellow Zinc Chromate (I think - anyone know the right colour?) - so I can spray the complete bay before adding all the gubbins..

WIP566_zpsngvnfs6a.jpg

..and the rib in place with the rear spar faces which are next..

..you can also see I had to cut a hole in the well roof as I found a big opening with loads of bobbins & pipes coming through from the engine bay..

WIP567_zpsxroppmja.jpg

WIP568_zpskuql6k47.jpg

..rear spar wall is next and then the stringers - after that it's all the ribs with cut-outs for the gear legs etc..

..I could be in here for some time...

TTFN

Peter

Fan-dam-tastic.  I love this!

'I had to cut a hole in the well roof . . . '

Yes you did.  I know that well from the 'D' I built.

WIP566_zpsngvnfs6a.jpg

What are the projections to the right?  I don't recognize them from the Parts List I used for my build.  Are they line stand-offs?  I see a bit of clean-up is necessary.

Great show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

Well, like everybody else Peter, I have run out of words to indicate how impressed I am at your modeling skills.  We should force you to build a plastic kit next time, right OOB, to bring you back down to earth with us mortals.  I bet it would kill you to not modify the crap out of it!

Great job on the headlight, but I have a tip that I recently learned from another modeler.  There are some really well made aftermarket headlights made for car models, that would have worked for your application without any fuss.  You couldn’t have said that you built it from scratch, however, so I guess you wouldn’t have used it anyway. ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

evening folks :)

On 1/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, dodgem37 said:

Fan-dam-tastic.  I love this!

'I had to cut a hole in the well roof . . . '

Yes you did.  I know that well from the 'D' I built.

WIP566_zpsngvnfs6a.jpg

What are the projections to the right?  I don't recognize them from the Parts List I used for my build.  Are they line stand-offs?  I see a bit of clean-up is necessary.

Great show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark - yes they are sort of 'T' shaped pipe things where a pipe goes straight  through the little banjo fitting at the tip - the fixing holes are on the plans and I can see them in pics (maybe a bit smaller than these :) ...)

21 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Well, like everybody else Peter, I have run out of words to indicate how impressed I am at your modeling skills.  We should force you to build a plastic kit next time, right OOB, to bring you back down to earth with us mortals.  I bet it would kill you to not modify the crap out of it!

Great job on the headlight, but I have a tip that I recently learned from another modeler.  There are some really well made aftermarket headlights made for car models, that would have worked for your application without any fuss.  You couldn’t have said that you built it from scratch, however, so I guess you wouldn’t have used it anyway. ;)

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck -always value your sage advice :) I actually contacted Marvin at Model Motorcars as they make all sorts of bits for Pocher cars but the ones he had were either too big or too small - I was going to scribe the pattern on it as I have done that before, but then I noticed the lens is just clear glass, I can't see any refractor lines on it so that made it a simple disc :)

18 hours ago, clarkis said:

fantastic metal work, as usual... question: how do you get such clean holes in the litho? punches? Can you describe the technique? Clark 

WIP565_zpsfgrpck7g.jpg

Thanks for dropping in Clark - there is a bit below on that :)

..I had a full day at the bench today so got lots of the groundwork done in the wheelbay...

..started with the face of the main spars - I took details from the drawings for where there was rivet detail..

WIP570_zpsyo18tdke.jpg

..and added flanges where there are ribs to help with placement and vertical orientation (and they are there on the real one...)

WIP571_zpsume7uxyq.jpg

..there is a central bulkhead at the front of the bay below the engine, so again I took the drawings and made a template I can use..

WIP569_zps5qxktqrc.jpg

..this isthen transferred to litho - in thiscase what actually fits in the model and a best fit made so I can use the detail but don't always have to rebuild everything..

I start by drilling pilot holes and then either use a burr in a dremel or a broach (best tools ever you must get some) to widen the hole to the plan diameter - a quick sand or rub with wire wool and the holes are done... for apertures I drill holes and then scribe to join the holes & break out the bit in the middle..

WIP572_zpscnypwtub.jpg

...added the spar walls and all the 'T' stringers in the roof...and also cut out two small square holes for the U/C uplocks..

WIP573_zpswmu2rewr.jpg

WIP574_zpsisbnooqo.jpg

..both sides..

WIP575_zpsyjajijm1.jpg

WIP576_zpsc720wv3a.jpg

..and in a day spent on metalworking added all the forward panels to close the bay off ready for ribs..

found a top tip by accident - using my UMM punch set and I used a 5mm punch in a 5.5mm hole and it flared the edge which is something I have been trying to do for ages & spent hours & lots of fails getting wrong...

WIP577_zps9mhpp7nt.jpg

WIP578_zpszaquj2og.jpg

..ribs next...

TTFN

Peter