1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

19 hours ago, airscale said:

.I have started to tap in the indentation with the ball end of my ball pein hammer..

WIP525_zpsvvfvm6j3.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Ok, I don't see how in the blazes of creation you made this part so perfect. I am dumbfounded even after seeing the steps behind it.

Edited by BiggTim

evening ladies & thank you :)

have been sorting out more of the basic structural elements so ultimately I have the airframe ready to skin in one (long) go, rather then the Spitfire where I did it bits at a time and had trouble protecting finished work as I did some pretty violent things like those I am doing now...

starting with the tailwheel well - I started byu cutting just the doors out, but soon realised I could not detail the inside through the small aperture - I won't go mad in here, but I will replicate most of what I can see - here is the real (current) Lopes Hope..

WIP538_zpse4vtpel3.jpg

..I started by cutting out the section between two fuselage stations in between the whole structure and getting rid of all the solid foam inside - painted it black so none of this is seen...

WIP540_zpsnvfjay57.jpg

..then from many scaled plan parts I assembled the main structure from litho, with brass strengthening where the wheel leg will mount...

WIP539_zpsxrenvuuw.jpg

..added some details and skinned the sides of it so it can drop in as a complete pod...

WIP541_zpsuiawerdy.jpg

..this was then added and CA'd into position ready for the fuselage section to be added back & filling..

WIP542_zpswk6qx4ry.jpg

..and after cleaning up, the basics are in there I can come back to later..

WIP544_zpsnnggaekx.jpg

..I also added the airscoop and got the shapes in this area where I was happy with them..

WIP545_zpsxmaxycee.jpg

WIP543_zpsx4ygzrkj.jpg

..the next bit of surgery was around the wing fillets - they seem quite complex on a P51 with the top edge sitting over the flaps and a lower fairing cut away right back to the fuselage wall..

WIP546_zpsjolvlsft.jpg

..the moulded fillet is a bit ugly and will need quite a bit of work..

WIP547_zpsrjm5meug.jpg

..I made a slit in the fuselage and added a brass template from a scaled plan - I also faked a flap from bent litho so I could get the dimensions right...

WIP548_zps9kbghot9.jpg

..then lots of filling & shaping and trying hard to work around and not damage the skinned part of the airscoop...

WIP549_zpsl5b82pzv.jpg

..and finally after a shot of primer to see whats what, the basics seem to be coming together...

WIP550_zpssr8oeep1.jpg

WIP551_zpsakfksuha.jpg

WIP552_zpsh1vm5mlo.jpg

..the skin panels that have to go over that lot are quite distinctive so looking forward to that when the time comes :)

TTFN

Peter