1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

One more thing Peter - there is a vertically oriented blade of sorts that is situated right on the centerline of the scoop, and right on the nose of the transition fairing you have so skillfully created.  Most know of this feature, but most do not know that it pierces upper skin of the scoop and continues right up into the fuselage.  Provide for it on your scoop.  Drawing number for the blade is 102-31080, and its installation shows up on wing install drawing 102-10001 (see zone A8). 

evening ladies :)

5 hours ago, JayW said:

One more thing Peter - there is a vertically oriented blade of sorts that is situated right on the centerline of the scoop, and right on the nose of the transition fairing you have so skillfully created.  Most know of this feature, but most do not know that it pierces upper skin of the scoop and continues right up into the fuselage.  Provide for it on your scoop.  Drawing number for the blade is 102-31080, and its installation shows up on wing install drawing 102-10001 (see zone A8). 

..exactly why i need you on the team Jay - I saw the little blade in the intake, but had not seen it actually goes right through to the fuselage - what a wierd little structure...

..thanks for pointing it out - will be a devil to fit but will give it a go..

so I have skinned the front fairing of the intake..

first the inner liner was added and rough cut to the edge, this was later sanded & filed flush with the intake lip..

WIP512_zpsaytlkbrf.jpg

..then the outer skin, I thought the best way was to try and wrap it as near as possible and try to get the join out of sight at the bottom...

WIP513_zpswp5ndchw.jpg

..the skin had one good straight edge along the panel line of the first part so this was the reference point from where everything else must follow - this was taped down so as not to move in the beating process..

WIP514_zpsbiick6h4.jpg

..at this point the ali is coaxed to follow the compound curves with a mini ball pein hammer - this is a long process of tapping all the creases into flats...

WIP515_zpsndnsgh4s.jpg

..ultimately the metal gives way and the shape is good enough to stick down. I use contact adhesive and in this case was lucky I could unfurl the metal so as to hinge via the adhesive tape along that top panel line - that way it just folds back perfectly into position. Then more tapping and cutting and the result is a rough leading edge, but good enough to work with...

WIP516_zps8fyuk9c7.jpg

WIP517_zpsxok8xoze.jpg

..this is then rough sanded & filed to get near to a finished surface... the photos show where I still need a few tweaks, and will try and add a sliver at the join line, but overall a tricky part is done..

WIP518_zpse9mw7w70.jpg

WIP519_zps2l8pdcfc.jpg

WIP520_zpsyyb6fk8e.jpg

WIP521_zpsxdraryb1.jpg

WIP522_zpsj8vmzknn.jpg

..until next time..

TTFN
Peter

Peter - good question on the interior paint of the scoop.  It applies to many interior features.  It's my understanding that as the war progressed, less and less use of paint and primer were done at the factories.  That is a simple statement that is probably more complicated than that.  I think though that the inside of this scoop was just natural metal.

I looked for good scoop pics on Upupa Epops, which is in Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, and which is the most accurate restoration I know of, but couldn't find anything.  Also it's a D-model.  

Here is a great walkaround video of Cripes a Mighty 3 (also a D-model), which is purported to be a pretty accurate restoration.  About 15 minutes in, they get all inside that scoop, and it's silver in there.

evening & thanks chaps :)

Been working on the air intake and the exit duct - after wondering if the interior was painted I found this shot of another aircorps P51 and can see where there is closed airframe it's painted and where there is airflow it's natural metal so thats what I went with...

WIP537_zpsxkz1xpmw.jpg

inside the underwing airscoop is an oil cooler (I think) that is oval and sits in the formed fairing seen above - behind that is a big square radiator (I think) - I made the radiator from scored black card and litho framing (from a plan, and oddly the dividing bars are offset like in the pic) and I made a balsa form to vacform the fairing the oil cooler sits in...

WIP524_zps2ejs2frc.jpg

..this was the skinned while still in the form - I left it in and just cut away what I didnt need later on - vacforming over balsa causes the plastic to virtually bond with it as there are so many airholes in it...

..I have started to tap in the indentation with the ball end of my ball pein hammer..

WIP525_zpsvvfvm6j3.jpg

..I forgot to have the oil cooler made in my etch run so I had to make it - I just used pipe screens but had to join two down the middle..

WIP526_zpsv5t1u2gf.jpg

..and the finished assembly - this sits nicely in the airframe...

WIP527_zpsmkjvp8kc.jpg

..the exit duct on the model was out and it was hard to make sense of where the internal skinning is so I just made a pack of parts from the plan so I knew it was right..

WIP529_zps4jvbikcl.jpg

..some ultra violence was then committed...

WIP528_zpsiyh8qrub.jpg

..to make the two interface together...

WIP530_zps5msht1ou.jpg

WIP531_zpshx6pisy3.jpg

..this was then rough filled with P40..

WIP532_zpstbda6hh3.jpg

..another exit duct was needed so this was laid out...

WIP533_zpskoxta7ua.jpg

..and a bit of primer to see what's what...

WIP535_zpslbreeqbh.jpg

WIP536_zpsbacnqnq5.jpg

WIP534_zpsjrsxznnp.jpg

..lots more work to do as the exit duct especially is quite a complex collection of shapes & fillets...

TTFN

Peter