1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

On 1/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, JayW said:

As for the cowling slots -   

This is part of drawing 102-31001 Cover Installation - Fuselage Complete.  It is a component installation of the top drawing for B/C models - 104-00002.  

Thanks for all the info Jay - I have found the drawings of the panels and copied them to make up PE versions - also caught they are different each side as there is a hatch at the front of one side.. the panels denote the aperture angle so I will go with that - I think they will turn out pretty cool as I can get all the fastners etc as well. I am just about to get a test shot for a new Hobbyboss B24 cockpit set I am doing so have made up a P51 set with a load more bits & external panels I can get run in that test shot :)

On 1/2/2019 at 1:07 AM, Kagemusha said:

Amazing work Peter, I was having a google about something Mustang-related and came across a line drawing of a B/C with dorsal fillet here from this website, hope it helps regards panel line and rivet detail. 

Arthur Bentley has a set.

Thanks Kage - very useful - I am talking to Arthur about getting a 1/18 set but also he has some amazing CAD I want section drawings of too, however he is a bit busy with kit CAD work so will be a while I expect..

On 1/2/2019 at 12:41 PM, Hacker said:

Eventually you will be scribing the gun and ammo bay doors. A question that has plague my mind is the size between the B and the D. Upon visual inspection the bays and the doors seem to be the same size between the two which my luck isn't so. Any clarification on this and is there measurements to go by?

Hacker  

I will get there eventually - there is a difference by the sounds of it - to quote Arthur in recent correspondence: "the wings of the P51B and C were very different structurally from the P51D.  The rib positions in the gun bay area were different, the wing root and undercarriage doors were different and the cut line for the outer wing tips was in a different location"  I assume if the ribs were in different locations, the doors would be different too?

so, Happy New Year folks & onto this P51..

having corrected the fin and added a dorsal fin, the stabilisers were next. I checked the parts and again unfortunately they were not up to my accuracy standards so I set about making new ones. I learned from my Spit not to make and skin the stabilisers before adding them (easy to damage the skins..) so I thought I would just get them built & added now..

..started with the mounts & fillets - first I copied the aerofoil section in brass and used drawings to locate them, after that I added a brass tube to mount them to and started to set out the slight incidence they have...

WIP482_zps7arcwsys.jpg

..once all was set up they were cemented into position and filler added to start to blend them in - this is P40 car filler and is super useful for modelling - I taped up the brass face so as not to have to clean it up later..

WIP483_zpsecifalhn.jpg

..after shaping & priming they were done..

WIP484_zpsab0xhm3o.jpg

..the stabilisers themselves were taken from drawings and set out on 3mm plastic card (with marked rib positions) - as were the spars..

WIP485_zpsmxlqs5qd.jpg

..test fitting..

WIP486_zpsp7relf9b.jpg

..bulked out with more P40 and sanded until I can see the blach sharpie lines along the tops of the ribs..

WIP487_zpsllnpltjh.jpg

..and fixed with JB Weld - I drilled small holes on the mating faces to let the adhesive really get a good hold of the parts..

WIP496_zpsd8vka7tu.jpg

WIP495_zpsf1w40hwo.jpg

..will clean them up later..

..while they were drying, I started to think about the airscoop.. pretty challenging set of curves nad the resin part that came was not quite right, passable, but not perfect..

you can see the features here include a straight, sharp top, curved bottom and 'V' shaped fairing between it and the fuselage... going to be a laugh skinning this in litho thats for sure..

WIP489_zpssb8ke2tc.jpg

..again, all the drawings are in aircorps library so I scaled a set of formers and a keel - the keel has had a bit of the hollow inside removed...

WIP488_zpsoq0zcyz8.jpg

..this is the assembled according to the former positions and a big, hard card lip so get that top edge right..

WIP490_zpsgtnqfjt8.jpg

WIP491_zps8yuznqbv.jpg

..I want to skin the inside in litho so made up paper & tape templates to get the shapes..

WIP492_zpsaoimmfbd.jpg

..cut out the shapes, added rows of rivets and fitted them to the central tunnel.. you can see it is slathered in CA to give the whole thing rigidity as much will be removed from the structure..  also added a dam from card at the top to roughly shape the triangle fillet where it joins the fuselage...

WIP493_zpsskdacm92.jpg

..then the whole thing is covered in more P40...

WIP494_zpswg4ikefz.jpg

..lost of sanding to do, so thats a job for the garden tomorrow before I go back to work on Wednesday :)

TTFN

Peter

The drawing that defines the distinctive lower intake fairing is 102-310119.  On that drawing you will see that the fillet that takes up the space between this fairing and the fuselage is far from v-shaped.  There is a pretty crazy looking discontinuity in it which is for, if I am not mistaken, cockpit air venting.  My memory might not be right.  But if you want to tackle that odd shape, pull that drawing.  Good Luck (I didn't do it on Miss Velma).

Edited by JayW

evening folks & thanks for stopping by :)

On 1/7/2019 at 3:19 AM, JayW said:

The drawing that defines the distinctive lower intake fairing is 102-310119.  On that drawing you will see that the fillet that takes up the space between this fairing and the fuselage is far from v-shaped.  There is a pretty crazy looking discontinuity in it which is for, if I am not mistaken, cockpit air venting.  My memory might not be right.  But if you want to tackle that odd shape, pull that drawing.  Good Luck (I didn't do it on Miss Velma).

Yep, thanks Jay, I spotted that on the drawing, it was just easier to start with a rough shape and get rid of the form to capture the intake - please keep your notes coming though as I easily miss things!

23 hours ago, KUROK said:

Yes, that lower intake on B/C/D mustangs is offset from the lower wing surface due to boundary layer interactions (I'm an AERO eng).

That weird thing on the drawing is in fact a fresh air intake and I think it might be cockpit fresh air?

I think it might be - it's certainly directing airflow somewhere:)

so, more mustang mayhem...

..after shaping the basic filler construction of the airscoop, next was cutting out the air intake on the roof - I made a template from the drawing..

WIP497_zpstj7jkzmn.jpg

..then with filler & dremal work I got the rounded sections done..

WIP498_zpsbgxo4p0d.jpg

..after this I had toreskin the inside as the skins I put in earlier had a join line down the middle and the real one doesn't. To dothis I lined the interior with tape and drew out the boundaries to when I remove the tape I can unravel it and get a template for one piece of rivetted litho to dress the inside in one go..

WIP499_zpsmgaletwk.jpg

..next I wanted to get the positioning right so I can partly skin the scoop in aluminium and fit it so I can add all the fuselage skinning later on.. This took the entire morning to get right as it is such a critical feature of the airframe (not helped by the plans I was using having it in the wrong position too far back...)

I put tape on the mating faces and added tiny drops of CA to hold it in position so I could add the filler - this process was then reversed to I make the part match the fuselage - the net result is the parts fit together seamlessly...

WIP500_zpsqkyzsqgb.jpg

..it was also braced inside before I started so the filler didn't collapse under load...

WIP502_zpsy67scl97.jpg

..then the fist bit of ali skinning on this model - coincidentally the first on my Spitfire was also an air intake..

..hard to see whats going on here, but on the right hand side is a sheet of soft ali under some masking tape - it is being held, rubbed,, stroked and tapped with a tiny hammer to start to conform to the shape of the roof. the black tape borders can also be seen at the nose - these leave an imprint in the ali so I know where the borders are. Its a  tricky shape as not only the shape of the scoop, but also the flaring at the top where it fairs into the fuselage...

WIP501_zpszjxlku4s.jpg

..I end up with a useable part that has adopted the shaping well.. this was added with contact adhesive...

WIP503_zps8eniicjx.jpg

..then the other side - this time with the added complication of the intake aperture..

WIP504_zpsntuqdtky.jpg

..it proved impossible to do the little intake in one piece so I added another in the inlet,,, then after cementing all the tape is removed and we have the base layer of ali down... you can see it's quite rough and creased in places, but this all sands out...

WIP505_zpsqhxlamet.jpg

after sanding aout all the defects the first sking is done & just needs finessing & rivet details but I will leave that until later

WIP510_zpsfu5cqmju.jpg

WIP511_zpsgbfqt7an.jpg

WIP509_zpssjdwym6h.jpg

..the intentionj is to get all i can done while I have access (so a bit of the wing surface where this sits needs to be done too) and then fix the scoop in place,, the nose intake is next and that is going to be a real challenge :)

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale