1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

evening folks :)

On 11/26/2018 at 9:45 AM, dodgem37 said:

What did you use as a cable tie?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark - I just used white cotton - tied it up, a drop of runny CA and then a quick flick of a lighter flame to scorch away any fluffiness..

so, it was time to move on to the floor..

..it seems there are two layers, one layer is the top of the wings with a zinc chromate jointing strip and the two fuel gauges as seen here...

WIP419_zpset7ngzle.jpg

..above this, sit all the real floor panels - when I did the PE I did each panel and then made one base panel by joining all these together and filling a few gaps to get one full panel as a basis of the floor...

,,seen here is the part - it actually has a slight bend in it as the floor slopes away down to the rudder pedals, you can also see the first folded panel that go on here and drop down to the wing skin..

WIP417_zpspgibx6vr.jpg

..all the folded floor parts were added, the wing skin & strip made from riveted litho and tubes added for where the fuel gauges go & it was all primed..

WIP418_zpsofvgxqro.jpg

..I added the fixing strips at the bottom of each panel where it meets the skin afterwards as separate bits - they were too complicated to try and fold in..

WIP420_zpsvsbqia4q.jpg

..painted and assembled.. you might just be able to see the fuel gauges...

WIP421_zpsuylaxy4l.jpg

..all the floor parts are wood so I stuck them to some marquetry ply -it's very thin & perfect for the job...

WIP422_zpslygiqlin.jpg

..then all the fixing holes were drilled out and lead wire threaded through...

WIP423_zpsfnpmbjtb.jpg

..soon all the panels were finished..

WIP424_zpsxmlacedq.jpg

..painted and with wear added where flying boots rub against the floor pounding the rudder pedals...

WIP425_zpsrt84xzc4.jpg

..also added the two controls by the fuel gauge holes - one says hot air & the other defroster so I assume they direct hot air from the engine (the red knobs need matt varnish yet..)...

WIP426_zpsmnqdlgti.jpg

..and mocked up in place...

WIP427_zpsmusqhfjq.jpg

WIP428_zpscmr3ozrk.jpg

WIP429_zpsnpq7eoou.jpg

..the cockpit pod is coming along and represents a lot of the effort in the model..

WIP430_zpsbckqselh.jpg

..control column next :)

TTFN

Peter

..the cockpit pod is coming along and represents a lot of the effort in the model..

You think so? Wait until you get around to a closer inspection of the Mustangs wheel bay!

:evil_laugh:

To see you tackle this mess will be "grosses Kino" as we say over here ;-)

Cheers,

J.

(Edit: Oops, Mark (dodgem37) already mentioned this. Well then, I second his motion...)

Edited by BlackCanopy
Apologizing for not reading all posts...

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons Greetings folks :)

Happy Christmas to one and all..

Just a final one before it all starts as I got out of the cockpit for a bit of fiddling about and hope to spend the nect 10 luxuriant days I have off work doing some proper P51 time :)

..first on scaling the spinner drawings we have a bit of a big nose - you can see about 1.5mm too big all around..

WIP433_zpsn1mnesxs.jpg

We also have an offset carb air intake under the spinner..

..oddly its a bit uneven..

WIP434_zpsdfmztdrw.jpg

..I made some scale templates so I can at least get an idea of where shape work may be needed - these were taken from NA drawings..

..the btop one is a plan of the nose, the bottom a side profile and a few others around the chin intake..

WIP431_zpsndete6kc.jpg

..also got the layout & spacing of the chin carb intake to correct the offset..  (X 4 as I use them at different times..)

WIP432_zpslzumgrbz.jpg

..getting the chin right...

WIP435_zpsp4qy3pwg.jpg

..and the top profile at the last former - again a plastic templete from the drawing, although to be fair to HpH I probably made it this rounded while reducing the spinner disc size..

..you can see the flat top & 'ears' that need building out with P40 fiuller

WIP436_zpsflsmtha9.jpg

..as I did a lot of reshaping the nose needed strength so I filled it with Alec Tiranti expanding foam - this stuff sets rock hard..

WIP441_zpsmxmqec2h.jpg

,and hopefully some of the profiles start to take shape..

WIP437_zpsq7gacuwa.jpg

WIP438_zpsfrsys0tg.jpg

WIP440_zps9cnzzehw.jpg

WIP439_zpsh8yh5i8m.jpg

Have a great Christmas everyone :)

TTFN

Peter