1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

if I need silk then Mrs airscale better watch out and I better have a good excuse for going through her underwear :ph34r:

You could blame it on me. I'm beyond jurisdiction.

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

One of my favourite pieces of Mustang perfectly represented!

How the pilots were supposed to 'read' the information on the placard in the upper right corner from this steep angle is completely unclear, though. If the placard was put there for maintenance crew, (bending into the cockpit from the wing to do what with the landing gear?) the placard should actually be placed upside down!

See where ignorance combined with logic thinking can get you? ...    :redx: ... Experts to the rescue!

On 10/11/2018 at 5:30 PM, airscale said:

WIP363_zps6n07rixf.jpg

Hi Peter

I have some very tight weave material offcuts that I got a few years ago. I used them to make the spent shell collection bags on my B-17. They might be just right for representing the cloth cover shown in the above image. I can bring you a sample to Telford if you like

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 10:32 PM, MikeMaben said:

Not bad Pete !  ( ;) )  How are the decals made ?

Hi Mike - I have them made when I get batches of stock made by Fantasy Printshop for my airscale lines - trouble with that is I end up with 25-50 sets...

So, evening all :)

Its been a while, so now Telford is out of the way I start to get my mojo back. It was great to meet up with everyone and I still can't believe we sold out of our show stock for the new HK Lancaster cockpit set :)

..next up for Lopes Hope is the sidewall completion so I can prime & paint the main structures before fetailing them..

seen here left to right - the low shelf down by the side of the seat holds the signal flares, the star shaped thing sticking into the fuselage ay the mid point is the mounting plate for the signal pistol (I think the pilot shot through it, but don't recall seeing big holes on the outside of the airframe?), and on the far lower right is a sort of triangular curved lever housing which is the bomb control selector... (with a red handle top..)

..these were the next bits up onto the bench..

WIP392_zpsct76tguq.jpg

..the low shelf was created from plan drawings put together in different colours so I knew where the folds were - these were then stuck to litho to be cut out..

WIP393_zpstebe54bw.jpg

..folded, finished & with the metal parts of the holder added..

WIP394_zpsoa2dzfbz.jpg

..same process for the flare gun holder - the part was drawn & scaled - some dents were made around the inner hole with a screwdriver and the part cut out..

WIP395_zpsb2eyvtbw.jpg

..I forgot to take pics of the finished part, but you can see it mounted here on the sidewall along with the shelf..

WIP396_zpsl4yso2vs.jpg

..and test fitted with the completed pedestal...

WIP397_zpsvyja1grg.jpg

..the bomb selector lever housing was made by using a PE template to make a plug I can vacform over..

WIP398_zpsyrbh0nve.jpg

..lots of plastic to get one little part...

WIP399_zpswrtk4b59.jpg

..trimmed & with details added this will be primed & painted before adding metal internals and the lever itself..

WIP400_zpscztzpize.jpg

..I also made the panel the housing sits on - this side is nearly ready for painting..

WIP402_zps3zazxn2r.jpg

WIP401_zpsnung7jkk.jpg

..good to be back at it :)

TTFN

Peter