1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Hello Peter,

just stumbled upon Your P-51 project a few minutes ago... Still in awe and working my way through all the post's. Look's I just found a useful meaning to spent my Saturday-evening. ;)

Just a small question:

If I understand correctly, You are the man behind "AIRSCALE" ? If so, could You please tell me at what "DPI" You create Your instruments. Working on some stuff myself which looks fine on the screen, but doesn't look all that handy-dandy once printed...

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Bravo on the radios!  One of my favorite sub-projects, but yours are on another level.  It bears repeating - radios on the drawings are not at all necessarily what was used in the field.  They just reflect what was contractually required to be delivered to the customer (USAAF).  The Detrola in the ETO is a good example (it was not used).  I found another one when I was doing my P-38, where a bare unused bracket was all that was left of another radio system (forgot which one).   And another one still on my P-47 where in order to stay accurate I had to settle for a bare section of cockpit wall on the RH side while the radio installation drawing showed the equipment plain as day.  Hope you did your homework on this one!

On 10/7/2018 at 3:35 PM, JayW said:

Bravo on the radios!  One of my favorite sub-projects, but yours are on another level.  It bears repeating - radios on the drawings are not at all necessarily what was used in the field.  They just reflect what was contractually required to be delivered to the customer (USAAF).  The Detrola in the ETO is a good example (it was not used).  I found another one when I was doing my P-38, where a bare unused bracket was all that was left of another radio system (forgot which one).   And another one still on my P-47 where in order to stay accurate I had to settle for a bare section of cockpit wall on the RH side while the radio installation drawing showed the equipment plain as day.  Hope you did your homework on this one!

Hi Jay - thanks for stopping by and great points about the radio fit - I am lucky enough to be being helped by the guys at aircorps and yes this was the local fit for these birds in the CBI - the chap actually restored the ones in the airworthy one :)

On 10/6/2018 at 10:51 AM, Shujaa said:

Hello Peter,

just stumbled upon Your P-51 project a few minutes ago... Still in awe and working my way through all the post's. Look's I just found a useful meaning to spent my Saturday-evening. ;)

Just a small question:

If I understand correctly, You are the man behind "AIRSCALE" ? If so, could You please tell me at what "DPI" You create Your instruments. Working on some stuff myself which looks fine on the screen, but doesn't look all that handy-dandy once printed...

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Hi Rudy, yes, airscale is me - although I can't answer your qustion as the decals are not printed using a printer - it is old school artisan silk screen and the resolution Ray at Fantasy printshop talks about for that process is I think 0.1mm

On 10/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

In the absence of Photobucket being able to do its job properly, I thought I'd post this:

https://vimeo.com/249476220

The link won't embed, unfortunately, but it's a video of Lopes Hope on Vimeo for your entertainment.

Kev

Wow Kev - thanks for that - all the inspiration I need. Actually, thats the first 'live' images I have seen and the perspective is very different to just looking at stills - lots of food for thought - especially how some of the rivet lines look like they have been dressed with something - a bit like Me262 pics I have seen...

gonna be a job making that look real :)

On 10/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Yes, Peter uses Photobucket, unfortunately!

Kev

ahem, yes I do and it wasn't working..

luckily I missed the whole mega-charging thing so still pay about 30 bucks a year for full hosting - I could not go back and relist all my images as it would take forever, so I was one of those with a gun to my head...

so, to what's been going on... actually quite a bit of rework..

..it started with adding the power panel - this is the canvas enclosed thing here on the back of the 'A' frame - it is a metal plate with some bits added, sheathed in a material bag cut from the original template with added fasteners and some wiring poking out...

WIP363_zps6n07rixf.jpg

..the reworking was adjusting the height & width of the fuel tank - I don't know if I misread the plans but it was too narrow at the top, so I slid it to the side and added anothe section below the brown radio... I also had to cut the end off this radio as I made it too long so the fuel gauge would not sit where it should..

after a lot of chopping & changing I got all the bits in as they can be seen in the reference pics I have...

WIP364_zpslb5ikfkk.jpg

WIP365_zpsmdesoxik.jpg

..you can see the big wadge of tank added here, and how it was raised as well.. fortunately all the messing about will be hidden..

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

..I wanted to get the armour plate & seat fitted, so had to fabricate these air vents before they could be added..

WIP367_zpsbvni2b7z.jpg

..I found the drawing, scaled it and started to fashion it from plastic..

WIP368_zpsw8g0rhk5.jpg

WIP369_zpsq2c2vfnj.jpg

..and with paint & pipes...

WIP370_zps8uj9v3kr.jpg

..then the armour plate was painted & the seat - the pics I have show the seat a different green so did this too..

WIP371_zpsrbwohtek.jpg

..then all the parts were added together to the sub-assembly...

WIP372_zpsh5mtgfth.jpg

WIP373_zps4au6afd6.jpg

..and a dry fit to make sure it all sits right with the walls...

WIP374_zps7vbqbw3w.jpg

WIP375_zpsalvsvq16.jpg

WIP376_zpsquvdsmxp.jpg

..will be doing the elevator & rudder trim pedestal next...

TTFN

Peter

Dear Peter

Instead of just adding another heap of praise, I would suggest that the fabric of this cloth-clad-thingy (on the right hand) seems to be waaaaaaay overscale to my eye!

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

To defend my heresy, I would mention that your thread has produced enough knitting-experts on LSP (myself included); And now you have finally presented an opportunity for us to "criticize" your work: That thing looks like it was made out of the extra scratchy, hairy wool used by my grandma for knitting my underpants! Take this, ha!

Pleeeze, would you consider to apply some silk instead... ?:o)

:coolio:

On 10/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, BlackCanopy said:

Dear Peter

Instead of just adding another heap of praise, I would suggest that the fabric of this cloth-clad-thingy (on the right hand) seems to be waaaaaaay overscale to my eye!

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

To defend my heresy, I would mention that your thread has produced enough knitting-experts on LSP (myself included); And now you have finally presented an opportunity for us to "criticize" your work: That thing looks like it was made out of the extra scratchy, hairy wool used by my grandma for knitting my underpants! Take this, ha!

Pleeeze, would you consider to apply some silk instead... ?:o)

:coolio:

haha - I have to agree and I sort of knew it once I had finished it. I might remake it and actually it was the finest weave I could find - if I need silk then Mrs airscale better watch out and I better have a good excuse for going through her underwear :ph34r:

so next up was the trim pedestal seen here - this is in Lopes Hope, but has some of the access panels removed - luckily I have drawings of these...

WIP378_zpsygj8pf3l.jpg

..first thing to do was take what info I could from the drawings and make templates to scale...

WIP377_zpsgknvclcj.jpg

this was then transposed to a sheet of thick plastic card...

WIP379_zpscfadddhp.jpg

..and working up the base shapes and the access panels..

WIP380_zpssol6j13u.jpg

..I had the trim wheels 3D printed by shapeways and the tape template is trying to work out the top panel as the plan does not allow for the curvature...

WIP381_zps4fbcqdca.jpg

..the tape template then was used to create the top panel...

WIP382_zpsoxultsdf.jpg

..and the sub assembly starts to take shape - some of the placards needed backing panels adding..

WIP383_zpsthzi5rpj.jpg

WIP384_zpsrwpwha35.jpg

..priming and painting the 3D parts..

WIP385_zpsm1uf8itu.jpg

..these then had the bespoke decals added..

WIP386_zps0xgv4mwy.jpg

..and after painting the unit all the levers were fabricated and the other decals added..

..it will need weathering later and a big lever at the bottom needs adding..

WIP387_zpsal9qugqd.jpg

WIP388_zpshfdiio22.jpg

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

WIP389_zpsilzqkfku.jpg

..and how it will fit in the fuselage side panel..

WIP391_zps7vyhm2xg.jpg

enjoyed that, will have to see what is up next.. :)

TTFN

Peter