1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

thank you my friends, you are all too kind :)

Target for tonight is the MN26C Tropicalised Radio Compass - I think this is the reciever part..

...note all the cables & fittings, screws, the odd colour it is - it also has some lovely labels that had to be made as decals...

WIP333_zpsglc0dixe.jpg

now I thought I would get all clever with this and the other radios and reproduced them lovingly in 3D. As I wanted to start on them now, rather than pull a favour from friends to print them I joined Shapeways where I had seen others just get stuff printed on demand. I uploaded them, paid 60 euros for ultra fine plastic (which seemed horrifically expensive for three bits no more than a cm or two square) and waited for the postman..

..on arrival I cleaned them up and primed them..

WIP334_zpsppzjflyq.jpg

..not too impressed actually - they seem to have quite a coarse 'waffle' effect like a raised grid across all vertical surfaces and the bigger details don't seem very crisp..

One other major flaw was down to me - I don't know how, or why but the MN26 part seen in the pic of Lopes Hope above is not tall enough...

I toyed with living with it given that one part is the cost of a half decent kit, but I couldn't so started to make one..

..I started by making the endplates, and the box from folded litho, bulked out with plastic to keep rigidity..

WIP335_zpsw6bhsfd3.jpg

..by scaling & printing the layout I can mark what goes where on the business end..

WIP336_zpsat6vtyao.jpg

..I then started to make up a kit of parts for all the details.. some of our airscale bezels, guitar string, wire from a busted laptop and odds & sods from my box of watch bits...

WIP337_zpsd7v3y8yx.jpg

..then assembled those prior to priming & basecoat..

WIP338_zpsytvwtda1.jpg

WIP339_zps1y6z7sgi.jpg

..the rear just has a little clasp..

WIP340_zpsrv69uhor.jpg

..also added some feet from ali tube..

WIP341_zpssngarcrz.jpg

..then spent a bit of time trying to mix a colour that looked right - I looked at originals that have been sold on ebay and the pics I have and arrived at a semi metallic shade of baby poop...

WIP342_zpsbqhwemir.jpg

..and then added all the rest of the cables & decals..

WIP344_zpsobeve87t.jpg

WIP345_zpsefjzpapk.jpg

WIP346_zpszoomjo3b.jpg

WIP343_zps0t6wc5ps.jpg

..I like it better than the other one and I have to say it was more satisfying to make :)

WIP347_zpskpzreemk.jpg

thats it for now, got to see what I can do with the radios next...

TTFN

Peter

I honestly can't come up with an original word of praise for your work, so I'll just copy/paste this here:

difficult to believe; extraordinary.
synonyms: magnificent, wonderful, marvelous, spectacular, remarkable, phenomenal, prodigious,breathtaking, extraordinary, unbelievable, amazing, stunning, astounding, astonishing, awe-inspiring, staggering, formidable, impressive, supreme, great, awesome, superhuman;
informalfantastic, terrific, tremendous, stupendous, mind-boggling, mind-blowing, jaw-dropping,out of this world, far out; 
literarywondrous
"an incredible feat of engineering"