1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Yeah - kind of glad to see this excellent work.  I am in the middle of a really tough build myself in 1/18.  And sometimes I get a little sloppy and accept less than the best - mostly because I know that we (we meaning serious modelers) can on our worst days far outperform most model manufacturers when it comes to accuracy and detail.    But for me, my best effort is so much better than my sub-par efforts.  So you help me be more patient and more meticulous.  Keep up the good work.

thanks chaps - very kind :)

so next in the God knows how many parts I have to make is the fuselage fuel tank - for this I have a few pictures of the actual tank fitted in Lopes Hope and made a few mental notes about what needs to be done in terms off construction. First thing is clear, it is quite an organic shape, being made to sit tightly in among all the formers in the fuselage behind the pilot (more of which later..), second, it has a quite uneven surface where various fittings are added, and lastly it looks like a round pole framework at the top over which the bladder sits..

..having trouble with photobucket so will add that pic in later..

the first step was to make a balsa blank and add the profiles scaled from the factory drawings - here is the bottom plan..

WIP281_zpsvxjqzase.jpg

..then the top profile with all the fittings added and starting to shape it..

WIP282_zps4hj3jfrc.jpg

..then the top was recessed and the tubular frame added..

WIP283_zpstsybep5s.jpg

..to get the finish I wanted I decided to try tissue - this is at least 30 years old from a Guillows kit.. several layers were applied and washed in with diluted PVA..

WIP284_zpsjaudqnou.jpg

..the fittings had strengthening doublers so these were added from bare metal foil..

WIP285_zpsw2zdobkn.jpg

..something I had already worked out was that the complete tank would not fit in the assembled fuselage structure as it has to thread through the fuselage formers, so I cut it in half and then painted it black.. (Tamiya semi-gloss with a drop or two of future..)

WIP286_zpsu9jojd0y.jpg

...I am quite pleased with the results and I can.now start to add the detailed parts safe in the knowledge it just about squeezes through..

WIP287_zps6qtz7whq.jpg

WIP288_zps1ruiialg.jpg

..and slotted into place ..

WIP289_zpszjl1yqjd.jpg

WIP290_zpsx4uafreu.jpg

WIP291_zpsmlzsfnos.jpg

..and with the seat mocked up in position..

WIP292_zpsdqlasjkb.jpg

..that's it for now - having fun with this one :)

TTFN

Peter

Awesome stuff here Paul! Your build/approach reminds me of years of actual aircraft production.

As I've migrated more of my builds especially details to scratch building I've discovered that my brain is the key to my modeling. Finding the right medium, material or tool to solve a building need brings light to more and more possibilities. Quite often I find that I have to make the tool or fixture before I can determine what will be used.

Keep up the spectacular work. :thumbsup:

Barry