1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Yeah Peter - your fuselage jig and the parts build-up are unprecedented far as I can tell.  Question - what h-section did you select for the longerons?  How tall?  They look just about just like a scaled part.  With Miss Velma, I had to significantly reduce the section height of the longerons due to the .08 thick walls of the fuselage.  P-51 fuselage skins were on the order of 0.06 inch (about three thousands in 1/18), a far cry from 0.08 inch!!!  What thickness skins will you have?  I ask because if the longerons are scaled to the real parts, and they protrude too far inboard, you will likely be presented with clearance difficulties with the seat and other wide items in the cockpit.  

On 8/30/2018 at 3:06 PM, dodgem37 said:

Looks great!  Any modifications necessary for fit?  Or did you hit it on the money?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark - surprisingly most fitted - because the stations are taken from drawings the upper & lower fit was a bit of fettling, but on the whole it fits very well. In fact the armor plated headrest actually slides into its mount holes and these were two different parts made months apart so it is a testament to how building from drawings can work out :)

On 8/31/2018 at 3:04 AM, JayW said:

Yeah Peter - your fuselage jig and the parts build-up are unprecedented far as I can tell.  Question - what h-section did you select for the longerons?  How tall?  They look just about just like a scaled part.  With Miss Velma, I had to significantly reduce the section height of the longerons due to the .08 thick walls of the fuselage.  P-51 fuselage skins were on the order of 0.06 inch (about three thousands in 1/18), a far cry from 0.08 inch!!!  What thickness skins will you have?  I ask because if the longerons are scaled to the real parts, and they protrude too far inboard, you will likely be presented with clearance difficulties with the seat and other wide items in the cockpit.  

Hi Jay - thank you :) the longerons are 3mm sq H section - just under scale and I may have been better with the 3.5mm, but they are there now so thats fine,

In terms of skin thickness, I am not really worried about it as where the cockpit sills are it is likely there will just be a litho outer skin so it is actually in scale with the original. I will try and preserve as much of the fibregalss cockpit section I have cut away as possible as it gives the overall structure strength & shape, but where it meets the sills it will be just litho..

thanks for dropping in :)

so some skins are on - this isjust one sheet of litho added while the parts were in the jig - that way I know these are dimensionally correct..

WIP249_zpsc31ttwog.jpg

WIP250_zpssgi4a5pw.jpg

,,added rivet strips where the stations meet the walls

WIP251_zpsspu5qplx.jpg

..the other side has the mounting fixture for the control pedestal..

WIP252_zpsoth9jmmz.jpg

WIP253_zpsv38b3wog.jpg

.. I will end up with two detailed walls I can then start making into the whole..

WIP254_zps24awypwl.jpg

.. I have also got myself a bit confused - see the map case here & the size it is in relation to the gap between it's adjacent fuselage station..

..looks to be almost a station to stations width..

WIP248_zpsgljwsjmw.jpg

..this is my version - scaled from the drawing at 12" tall..

WIP255_zpskud6ck7k.jpg

WIP256_zpsbpohcnof.jpg

..to me it looks undersized so am just trying to check if there were two versions or if it is just a trick of perspective in the photo of the real cockpit..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

WIP253_zpsv38b3wog.jpg

Love the hell out of that cut-out!  Nice detail, and nice fabrications.

'..this is my version - scaled from the drawing at 12" tall..'

Maybe 9 x 12 to accommodate an 8-1/2 x 11?  Your other parts appear on the money.  So why not that?  Just sayin'

Great show.

Sincerely,

Mark

18 hours ago, airscale said:

..to me it looks undersized so am just trying to check if there were two versions or if it is just a trick of perspective in the photo of the real cockpit..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

If you look at assembly 102-53028, you'll see why it looks short to you. The first thing to note is the map case is flush with the inside flat part of the longeron and the inside flange of sta 131.5, it is not mounted to the fuselage skin.  Secondly 102-53028-2 is an L shaped sheet that goes behind the map case but is also flush with the inside face, it takes up the space below and behind the map case.

The map case itself is in a pair of channels mounted to the front of that sheet and can actually be lowered about 4-5 inches for some extra storage space behind.

Edited by rtwpsom2

On 9/2/2018 at 6:18 AM, rtwpsom2 said:

If you look at assembly 102-53028, you'll see why it looks short to you. The first thing to note is the map case is flush with the inside flat part of the longeron and the inside flange of sta 131.5, it is not mounted to the fuselage skin.  Secondly 102-53028-2 is an L shaped sheet that goes behind the map case but is also flush with the inside face, it takes up the space below and behind the map case.

The map case itself is in a pair of channels mounted to the front of that sheet and can actually be lowered about 4-5 inches for some extra storage space behind.

well thanks again rtwpsom2 - very useful guidance :)

I have tried to interpret what I see in photo's and the drawings and have now mounted it - hopefully this is near the mark?

WIP257_zpsxeyznpvf.jpg

WIP259_zpscwhxasvc.jpg

WIP258_zpsh7npsqlc.jpg

got a main switchpanel up near the IP to start on next...

TTFN
Peter