1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Peter.  Don’t drink the water over there.  Can’t count all the people I’ve witnessed getting sick over there!   Careful.  Ice cubes, salads.  No-no.  Good luck.  We all want to see you healthy and back to work on this glorious -51B.  

Cheers,

Troy. 

I'm teaching myself CAD using Fusion360 and love your renderings.  are you drawing them yourself or is there some magical place that does those?  Eventually I plan on scratch building a 1/20 scale aircraft......doing the AirCorps library blueprints and scaling them to 1/20......its a big project, but it keeps me occupied.  how do you get the individual pictures of your drawings?  

You are an artisan

Cheers, Dan

Hey, Peter, once you finish this one and maybe the Tigercat, have you had any thoughts on the HobbyBoss Fw190? I just got mine and while it has really nice surface detail, the cockpit and wheel wells could really use the Peter/Airscale touch. Especially the IP. Please? :whistle:

On 8/16/2018 at 7:31 AM, rtwpsom2 said:

I work for Aircorps doing CAD, these are the models we used to build Lope's Hope.

Wow - I am honoured to have you and Denzil along for the ride :) congrats on the win!

your CAD is going to be exceptionally useful in the coming weeks...

On 8/23/2018 at 7:35 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Hey, Peter, once you finish this one and maybe the Tigercat, have you had any thoughts on the HobbyBoss Fw190? I just got mine and while it has really nice surface detail, the cockpit and wheel wells could really use the Peter/Airscale touch. Especially the IP. Please? :whistle:

Hi Ray - I toyed with the 190 as it's one of my favourite aircraft, but I am hooked on metal skinning and I have not quite come to terms with painting over it - despite looking i don't think any were ever natural metal!

So, an actual update is needed as some actual modelling has occured...

As I said before, I was expecting the decals from Ray at Fantasy Printshop and a few days ago these arrived - as you can see I have quite a few... I laid it out with only one of each decal as any duplicates can be taken from another sheet..

WIP201_zpsthifwdkv.jpg

..the quality is up to Ray's usual standard - ie exceptional... lets take a quick tour from right to left...

WIP206_zps2f8914bk.jpg

WIP205_zpsxrmmjauj.jpg

WIP204_zpsdexnwiah.jpg

beautiful instruments :)

WIP203_zpsiftqtrtk.jpg

WIP202_zps0gzsn71w.jpg

..there are a bunch of airframe stencils too - all studiously copied from the original drawings..

As far as selling / making in 1/32 or 1/24 I think that is unlikely before you ask :)

Now my bench is reassembled, the decal's arrival spurred me on to actually get started again after a long hot summer - I thought I would dress up the Throttle quadrant first..

..simply sprayed it black, added the decals and a quick shot of varnish to seal them in and it was done...

WIP221_zpsm0lq69bt.jpg

WIP222_zps800m6da6.jpg

WIP223_zpstoajyydz.jpg

WIP224_zpsoe6dtwts.jpg

more...

..now I had bust my cherry, I wanted a fairly simple but nice to work on mini project so I settled on the MN-26 Radio Compass – it’s the grey unit seen here..

WIP211_zpsc9axleiu.jpg

..to make the body of the unit I used a PE blank to score the size I needed from a sheet of Perspex acrylic..

WIP210_zps2vsk7j9x.jpg

..I started to make all the knobs, buttons & switches – here I used a Dremel to spin up a bolt and a file to shape that into one of the larger tuning knobs..

WIP213_zpsidiqkuzj.jpg

..I had a PE blank of the front panel of the unit and used this to reference where to drill holes in the perspex to take all the knobs..

..the knobs are an assortment of bits fashioned from old watch parts (I bought a little tub on ebay for £5 ages ago – super useful stuff) – the most challenging was the tuner handle in the middle – this has a shaft, crank & handle – the handle was scored with a fine saw blade to try and give the impression of the tiny ridges that give grip…

WIP214_zpskdgn7tdv.jpg

..here are the watch bits – lots of tiny metal shapes of infinite precision, brilliant for repurposing..

WIP215_zps4rspbtxy.jpg

..then the handles were all painted black, the Perspex unit grey, and I prepared the face decal that carries the colour & markings..

WIP216_zpsddyn5vtd.jpg

..the decal was stuck to the PE face & varnished, some ‘glass’ was sourced from ultra thin sheet and the decal for the dial face prepared..

WIP217_zpsli13ishk.jpg

..the first stage of assembly saw the face added to the unit as a laminate with some glass and the dial decal..

WIP218_zps9mmhkd8t.jpg

..and all the gubbins added..

WIP220_zpsfqgsrs6f.jpg

WIP219_zpsryawknes.jpg

..so thats it. Back in the chair and enjoying myself again..

next up I am thinking of the cockpit 'A' frame and the longerons that link all the bulkheads together..

TTFN

Peter