1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

- don't try and catch a dremel diamond slitting disc spinning at 15,000RPM if you drop the flexi-drive... I did and have some nasty cuts on my left hand (thankfully) so may find things a bit difficult for a few days....

OUCH !!

nqCyIeX.jpg?1

thanks Gents & good evening :)

my hand is healing so all should be well - at least I got some fabrication done so it can't be too bad :)

best part of a day session at the bench for most of one part...

started by sticking a scale printout of the plan view of the part - it's a complex structure with more going on the more you look at it..

WIP122_zpsr0zwq2kt.jpg

..then a coarse cutting disc to get the worst of the waste off..

WIP123_zpsni2bvqzh.jpg

..a bit of a clean up and the profiling at the top..

WIP124_zpsyars13i7.jpg

..once the height was filed I added the holes for the seat supports..

WIP125_zpssg2ol3du.jpg

..and then a diamond burr to do some more refined shaping - I drilled the mounting holes before I rounded the face..... note also how it is left attached to it's host bar stock so it can be more easily worked..

WIP126_zps6z470r36.jpg

..then finally it is removed and cleaned up..

WIP127_zpslhndyewu.jpg

..and a check if it fits and is proportionally about right - it is not super accurate, but is the best I can do... it still needs two angled mounting lugs to be added to the top which I will probably braze solder, but that is tomorrows problem..

WIP129_zpsoauhzew4.jpg

WIP128_zpsr69ccnfz.jpg

until next time..

TTFN

Peter

evening folks :)

so a little more Mustang mayhem on this fine Bank Holiday...

I started by adding the fixing lugs to the seat mounting at the top of the seat - these were thick plastic card shped after being stuck on with CA - quite tricky and about the best I can do with them...

WIP130_zpsafs7fj3n.jpg

..this fits onto the upper armour plate where the head armour is, so I scaled plans and stuck them onto some 0.6mm ali sheet..

WIP131_zpshp4akp79.jpg

..I used a diamond cutting disc and diamond burrs to cut and shape the part.. seen here with the micro fixing bolts..

WIP132_zpswu0j5x5n.jpg

..and assembled in company with the lower armour plate section..

WIP134_zpsue8ccsae.jpg

..back to the seat itself, there are assemblies each side that I assume make it go up/down and maybe adjust the rake of the seat. One of these is a cast handle so I shaped some 'T' section brass for the handle and rolled milliput balls for the ball on the end of it. If anyone knows where / how to get a selection of micro balls I would be very interested to hear as I can never make them perfectly spherical :)

WIP133_zpsr71yz3l1.jpg

..you can see the assembly in full here..

WIP137_zpsamanbsay.jpg

WIP138_zpszprepn1t.jpg

..and another set on the other side made from tiny bits...

WIP135_zpsqobb7ree.jpg

WIP136_zpsjyzurelc.jpg

..you can see them both added here..

WIP139_zpsravneg9c.jpg

WIP140_zpsgrw8euna.jpg

..and all dry fitted together..

WIP141_zpsng6tcnz1.jpg

WIP144_zpsdodqweqq.jpg

WIP143_zpsxsoqo4hm.jpg

WIP142_zpsxdidyeqi.jpg

..that pretty much covers the seat, there are a number of bolts & rivets on the seat rim of the real one that all those gubbins attatch to, but as - I need to make the cushion / dinghy pack / liferaft or whatever it is that covers all that and the backrest at some point, I didn't try and add them..

..I also realised I really need the Photo-etch to carry on with the bulk of the cockpit construction as it has all the bulkheads & formers etc so need to focus on that. However, I do need to find an assembly to work on as well so I can mix & match PC work with actually making something :)

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter - amazing work mate...... looks good enough to sit on!!!!

As for ball shapes what about the lanyard chains - the ball style ones or the same style used on modern plug chains.

Never tried it myself but apparently you can make ball shapes by dripping hot solder into cold water  :shrug:  - remember reading something on the web about this method somewhere!!!

But great work mate can't wait to see it in the flesh.   :yahoo:

Happy days - Taff :D