1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/27-10-PLY-AERO-CLASSIC-DIAMOND-AIRCRAFT-TIRE-DESSER-AA227.asp

Here is the tyre for the Mustang if you want to buy a new one today.

On the drawing it is a Goodyear 24 x 7.7 tyre. Which by the way is the same size as used on the Boeing 737.

But if this is the right pattern is hard to say. The image looks mostly like the cross pattern.

Cheers

Gunnar

Edited by GunnarO

Hi folks :)

.. a little update on the wheels & tyres...

first I took the MLG drawing and copied the cross section to derive the hub, and then the tyre..

WIP64_zpshahidrf9.jpg

..straight away there were a few problems..

1. the tyre had a much taller profile than the pic I have - I thought maybe warbird tyres were lower profile but having checked multiple period shots for tyre/hub proportions I came to the same result - the tyre is not that tall..

2. The hub in the drawing is two parts, but the inner shapes and hub rim did not look like the pictures - in this pic of Lope's Hope wheel you can see the inner hub is a very offset design, not two parts split down the middle..

WIP67_zps9orfnm3j.jpg

..and 3. you can see through the hub and there is a difinate sloped inner ring immediately behind the spokes (where the tyre valve hole is)

WIP68_zpsvu8cbhpi.jpg

note also all the small writing in raised letters on the wheel - more of that later..

..I decided to scrap that version and start again, but just try building it by eye, or measurable proportion where available - they tyre is hard, but I had a few profile shots to base some assumptions on..

WIP66_zpskqs6tuki.jpg

..and the end result is a hub / tyre I am much happier with and one in proportion to photo's I have..

WIP69_zpsmuwnsnhe.jpg

WIP71_zpsmzirtgi2.jpg

..now about that lettering - I did that too - whether it will actually 3D print or not remains to be seen, but at least i made the effort..

WIP70_zpspsrrzwag.jpg

..so now onto the treads..

the conversation developed a little more over on Britmodeller where Dave665 (an extraodinary nice & helpful chap I had the pleasure to meet at Telford, came up trumps with some analysis that says - yes they are the cross pattern, and that the crosses are a deritive iof the smaller diamond pattern with notches along their sides...

WIP72_zpsfdnyjw1x.jpg

..so this is what I will try and do. I remember from my Spit, getting tread ona tyre in 3D is not simple so off to youtube to see if I can find an easier way..

TTFN

Peter

Re the issue of raised lettering, I am getting some very high resolution prints for my railway modelling scratch designs from the likes of CW Railways, certainly good enough for this sort of detail in 1/18. I'm also finding the new generation of 'self levelling' acrylic primers go a long way to finishing prints without any further prep.

For lower definition stuff, I suspect the resin decal printers such as Archer Transfers might fancy association with such a prestigious project (worth an email). Then there is always etch, either direct or as stencils for paint/filler.

Regarding the treads...this is how I've made them in the long, dim, distant past. (On Mechanical Desktop, no less....took it ages to reproduce!)

The first thing is to make the circular pattern for the tyre, sans tread.  You need to make this smaller than the finished diameter by the depth of the tread.

Next thing is to offset a plane from the surface of the newly-created tyre, slightly higher than the tread depth.

Then extrude one cross to the surface of the tyre, and create a circular pattern about the axis of the tyre.  You may need to play around with sizes to get it just right..

Finally, once you've created all the treads, extrude a circular shape along the axis of the tyre to round off the treads.

HTH..

Peter,

I don't understand 50% of the stuff you are showing, but I smile at 100% of these same items, because this work is leading edge and you have the skills to pull it all off.  I look forward to the creation of many one of a kind parts!

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi folks :)

.. a little update on the wheels & tyres...

first I took the MLG drawing and copied the cross section to derive the hub, and then the tyre..

WIP64_zpshahidrf9.jpg

..straight away there were a few problems..

1. the tyre had a much taller profile than the pic I have - I thought maybe warbird tyres were lower profile but having checked multiple period shots for tyre/hub proportions I came to the same result - the tyre is not that tall..

2. The hub in the drawing is two parts, but the inner shapes and hub rim did not look like the pictures - in this pic of Lope's Hope wheel you can see the inner hub is a very offset design, not two parts split down the middle..

WIP67_zps9orfnm3j.jpg

..and 3. you can see through the hub and there is a difinate sloped inner ring immediately behind the spokes (where the tyre valve hole is)

WIP68_zpsvu8cbhpi.jpg

note also all the small writing in raised letters on the wheel - more of that later..

..I decided to scrap that version and start again, but just try building it by eye, or measurable proportion where available - they tyre is hard, but I had a few profile shots to base some assumptions on..

WIP66_zpskqs6tuki.jpg

..and the end result is a hub / tyre I am much happier with and one in proportion to photo's I have..

WIP69_zpsmuwnsnhe.jpg

WIP71_zpsmzirtgi2.jpg

..now about that lettering - I did that too - whether it will actually 3D print or not remains to be seen, but at least i made the effort..

WIP70_zpspsrrzwag.jpg

..so now onto the treads..

the conversation developed a little more over on Britmodeller where Dave665 (an extraodinary nice & helpful chap I had the pleasure to meet at Telford, came up trumps with some analysis that says - yes they are the cross pattern, and that the crosses are a deritive iof the smaller diamond pattern with notches along their sides...

WIP72_zpsfdnyjw1x.jpg

..so this is what I will try and do. I remember from my Spit, getting tread ona tyre in 3D is not simple so off to youtube to see if I can find an easier way..

TTFN

Peter

The wheels on the mustang go round and round, up and down , round and round! Nice pics

hacker

For 3D wheels I did for my Bearcat (1/24) using Fusion 360, I started with a smooth wheel and then drew the diamond pattern for just two rows across the surface (from one side to the other). Then I cut into the body of the tire with the diamond sketches as cutting tools. Then I extruded the diamonds out to the desired depth and then patterned them around the wheel's axis enough times such that they connected their backs and fronts with the desired gap. (this was real trial and error). What was then difficult (but doable) was to deform the wheel for the weight effect and still edit the diamonds to match the denting. I had them printed using Ultra Fine Detail material at Shapeways.com. 

D6wp9t.jpg

evening folks :)

Peter,

I don't understand 50% of the stuff you are showing, but I smile at 100% of these same items, because this work is leading edge and you have the skills to pull it all off.  I look forward to the creation of many one of a kind parts!

Cheers,

Chuck

well Chuck that makes two of us as I don't understand 50% of it either :)

..I have spent a lot of time trying to get the tyre treads right - according to youtube videos there is a process in 3D modelling where you get a tread you design all flattened out to adopt the shape of a tyre - flow along a surface or something... well I can't get it to work - it keeps thinking my tyre is two surfaces split down the middle (like a left and right side..)

I tried what I did last time which was creating one tread block and arraying it around the edge - these have not been trimmed to make the tread depth right, but you get the idea..

WIP74_zps1alb8gyw.jpg

..but on closer inspection they are not aligned - there should be even grooves & diamond patterns...

..you can see the flat tread by the side showing how uniform it should be..

WIP75_zpsprruvpuy.jpg

..as if this wasn't getting sould destroying enough, I am also seeing lots of early P51's, Mk111's and A36's with these different wheel hubs - note the rim around each of the holes..

WIP76_zpsvzw2jfvv.jpg

..not sure if my bird had these or not as the pic is too grainy, but it seems most other high backs have them so I think I need to sort that too..

..all of which led me to conclude what you and I both want... just get on and BUILD SOMETHING...

i am tired of computers..

with that in mind, and conscious I have nothing to show right now, I have scaled the seat drawings and am definately sitting down this weekend to build one :)

..this exact seat in fact...

WIP79_zpsnlxgw0vd.jpg

..based on these and a few other drawings..

WIP78_zpssd5o0dnv.jpg

WIP77_zpsfon7gr3o.jpg

so hopefully back soon with something that actually took some modelling skills to make :)

..by the way, today is a proud day - KLP Publishing published my book :)

see you soon

Peter

Edited by airscale

Well, somehow, I missed the opening of this show.....I have found a small place to sit WAY in the back of the theater....... I have my :popcorn: I promise to be quiet, and not yell out loud, I will stay seated in my spot ( try to not have many bathroom breaks) and when the maestro is on the stage , I will give my full attention........ I will not whisper to the guy beside me either.............. I will, how ever watch closely in awe, stare in amazement, shake my head in

astonishment, and marvel at the incredible, unbelievable, amazing, scratch building, and engineering talents that is gracing the stage of another gob smacking, superlative detailed, exceptional build..............  as always I will check in regularly as I did with the Spitfire for my daily dose of outstanding model construction techniques.................. thanks Peter, great to have you doing another build......  I enjoy every bit of what you do..

Jeff

Fabulous reading, even without modeling...

Can't wait for the seat to take shape in your hands.

And the book!

I'm after it as soon as higher powers allow it...

Juraj

Well, it's only around 14 euro Juraj, so I reckon you don't need permission for that!

Kev