Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

ZM 1/48 F-4s

The ZM 1/48 F-4s are really beautiful kits, but one caveat for anyone who harbors designs for doing any 1/48 F-4 that has markings designed to fit the intake splitter plates or the rudder. If said decals were designed to fit the Hasegawa F-4 kits, and you want to use the ZM kits, think again. The shapes and sizes of the splitter plate and rudder are ***radically*** different between them. I don't have an Academy kit, but I suspect they're radically different from it as well. I'm not convinced that ZM got the shape of the splitter plate right, since I can't make markings fit on it the way they fit in photos of the real thing. Next time I go down to Pima I'm going to do some measuring. But regardless, critical fit items made for any other kit are not going to fit on the ZM kits.

intake splitter plates

C'mon Jennings, you know better than that. On a Phantom, they're intake ramps.

Let lesser mortals like F-5 have their dinky 'splitter plates'.

The splitter plate is forward of the ramp. The ramp is the movable part. The splitter plate is fixed.

I know what you mean, but they're all just ramps - the fixed forward portion, followed by the two variable ones aft.

As I said before, let lesser machines like F-5s and F-16s have their splitter plates, if they must. But not the Phantom.

There are some terms in model land that just grate, just like 'ejector seat' instead of 'ejection seat', or Tonka, which out in the real world is only ever called a Tornado or a Fin.F-4A+vs+F-4B+Inlet+Rev+A.jpg

Yeah, and the intake or inlet is actually more correctly termed the engine air duct, but let's get a life.

Surprised at the discrepancy between the Z-M and other kits. I haven't bought one but might be tempted by the long noses, esp. the F-4G Woozel.

Tony

Posted (edited)

I know what you mean, but they're all just ramps

Presumably because they don't split the engine airflow, just guide it into the duct.

I'm wondering what the proper word for a vertical ramp would be in the non-aviation world. A wall, perhaps...

Richard

MORE: There are a couple in the Midlands Air Museum, I could pop over and take photos if you want

Edited by RLWP

Yeah, and the intake or inlet is actually more correctly termed the engine air duct, but let's get a life.

Surprised at the discrepancy between the Z-M and other kits. I haven't bought one but might be tempted by the long noses, esp. the F-4G Woozel.

Tony

Life's what we make it, Tony!

It's not just ZM as similar discrepancies emerged when some were thinking of substituting Fujimi ramps for the Airfix 1/72 FG1. In any case the Fujimi spill duct outlet louvres above and below the intakes were suggestions at best, even after surgery.

You can cut the vents and insert card louvres as I did when the awful Fujimi 1/50 was the best 1/48 game in town when compared to the even worse Extex F-4B, but it'd be beyond me now in 1/72.

And it's best not to compare Revell, Italeri, Esci or Hasegawa with each other, although they all look perfectly fine on their respective kits. But I've long been of the opinion that the only way to ensure that components that should be identical from version to version can only be achieved by choosing a base kit and applying any modifications to it, as in real life.

Perhaps Richard might be able to run a tape measure over the Coventry F-4C's ramps and provide some principal dimensions?

Oooh, Norty Wikipedia!:

Splitter plate on the fuselage side of an F-4 Phantom II.

Richard

Tell me about it Richard. I've corrected more Wiki aircraft articles due to "obvious errors" (those requiring mod approval) than is healthy in one so young. :innocent: