F4U-1D Brooklyn Butcher VMF-512 USS Gilbert Island, July 1945

1to1scale

I think I hit on a good formula for Tamiya paints. The key was, for 5ml of paint, I used 2.5 ml of Tamiya thinner, 2.5 ML of Tamiya Clear Gloss, 10 drops of Tamiya retarder. If i were to make some future adjustments, it would be to add maybe another 1ml of thinner and another 5 drops of retarder. Paint was generally dry in a minute, which was a little hot, but still enough time to re-level itself when spraying another pass in opposite directions. The paint ended up slightly translucent, which was good because it clearly showed with the light primer any spots I missed and had to recover, the second coat pretty much sealed the deal. 

Now comes a decision, do i try to do some light chipping again, or just leave it as is? Ill have to sit on this one a bit.

Edited by 1to1scale

Looks real nice! Good save.

Excellent!

Now that's smart looking!

Torben

Rock On.

Sincerely,

Mark

Well done! A very attractive scheme.

Great recovery!  That second go round of paint looks even better  than the first.   Well done!

Looks great, keep up the good work!

That looks nice buddy.....Harv

Great recovery and the light chipping came out nice too.

Carl

Looking very sharp.

If at first you dont succeed!

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement, I seriously thought about putting it in the box until the pain subsided, but I persisted and pushed through it. I'm still not out of the woods, now I need to get it clearcoated and decayed. I ran a test spot with the tamiya decals last night to see if they would silver on the semi gloss GSB. I'm about to go take a look in about 5 minutes.

Decaling did not go so well...

I ran a test under one of the wings, the decals did not silver, however, they looked like thick metal plates bolted to the wings. I used Tamiya's strong decal solvent, nothing, its like those damn decals are made of steel. So after looking around for stencil decals, I determined that there are none available. 

I did manage to find HGW wet transfers, so I ordered a set...from Australia. CRAP. It seems like anything I need for this Corsair, it ends up being in Australia. By the time I'm done, I could buy another Tamiya Corsair with the shipping costs I am paying. 

Edited by 1to1scale