F4U-1D Brooklyn Butcher VMF-512 USS Gilbert Island, July 1945

1to1scale

White undercoat for the markings has been sprayed, I spent about two hours applying the masks. Hopefully, one night this week I will finish painting.

I also spent about 2 hours building and sanding seams off of the HVAR rockets, bombs are also ready for paint.

So far this build has been great, no real fit problems. My only problem has been sprue hunting, being the third issue, there are a lot of duplicate parts with small differences. I have made a few wrong part goofs, but was able to correct all but one. The biggest mistake was that I built the wrong early prop, luckily, I had a birdcage in the closet and I was able to swap the prop into, and steal the prop hub out.

qQgXZ1p.jpg

c1sNAef.jpg

uoOm53k.jpg

I have been studying pictures I could find of the Brooklyn Butcher, and have come to the conclusion that the weathering on this squadron's aircraft was very light. Early on, while on the carrier, they looked almost new with no scratches or fading. Later when moved to land, they collected a few scratches and dirt, but still pretty light. 

On my build, I will be doing very minimal weathering, keeping it in like new, carrier condition.

d14L6VL.jpg

4peZ4iz.jpg

g3wr2PY.jpg

iAgZdW9.jpg

DRLlrMV.jpg

TiUNAat.jpg

atAzCVq.jpg

8qVscb9.jpg

ROyO7VJ.jpg

Great progress there.

It looks kind of odd with the stars and bars as negative shapes vs what we're used to seeing.

Carl

Yes, you have to re-wire your brain for it. It was hard at first, but this is the 5th one I have painted using masks and I am getting used to it.

The hardest Masks to use are British roundels, figuring out the color order is rough. 

Edited by 1to1scale

The hardest Masks to use are British roundels, figuring out the color order is rough.

Interesting. I found the stars and bars much harder than the RAF roundels. I think it's because I've done more of them.

Either way, nothing beats their look that's for sure.

Carl

I have been studying pictures I could find of the Brooklyn Butcher, and have come to the conclusion that the weathering on this squadron's aircraft was very light. Early on, while on the carrier, they looked almost new with no scratches or fading. Later when moved to land, they collected a few scratches and dirt, but still pretty light. 

On my build, I will be doing very minimal weathering, keeping it in like new, carrier condition.

d14L6VL.jpg

4peZ4iz.jpg

I wonder if carrier based planes got a lot more attention because they got folded and stored under the deck. Sailors don't like mess, so chances are they got cleaned each time they were taken down

Richard

I spent a week deliberating and researching this, and it drove me nuts. I researched chipping and scratching on corsairs and found an anomaly with early GSB corsairs in WW2...chips always look either gray or aluminum, not zinc chromate. It was as if the primer underneath was gray or clear, and GSB was painted without Yellow Zinc, but then it seems that post war, the yellow primer came back it seems after the color change or possibly with the F4U-4 model.

PdQ3BQP.jpg

eRJzBmM.jpg

1nYqpoS.jpg

pRHYNS2.jpg

jOZx3wt.jpg

So I made the decision to primer with silver Stynylrez, and then spray a chipping medium over it.

hpSGqEt.jpg

o9LZaQL.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale