Hex Soviet tarmac sections from Fusion Models

Alain Gadbois

Hello Alain,

I live very close to former soviet MiG-25 and Su-24 air base in Welzow, east Germany. If you need any detail pictures of Pag-14, just let me know ;-)

Yes, that would be greatly appreciated! Detail photos of the surface textures of the sections can be of a lot of help to me, when making masters.

I wonder, do they still have hardened shelters with doors in place? These would be great for dioramas, in multiple scales.

Thank you for the kind offer!

Alain

Hi all!

The artwork is coming along nicely for the hex tarmac box set. I hope it will be ready as planned next week!

In the meantime, here is a little tutorial showing how I painted my demonstration set.

First, after a good clean-up with dishwasher liquid, a coat of Tamiya TS-16. It is a light warm grey with a nice new concrete look.

Cj2eLpX.jpg

Next, I scraped a bit of dry pastel on the surface, using brown, black and sand colors. Mostly brown is used here to reproduce the brownish color of the Soviet tarmac sections.

jlamD6j.jpg

With my finger the powder is rubbed in all over the surface. I use nitrile gloves to do this. 

8fDMRjp.jpg

The next step is not so obvious in photos, as it is subtle, yet important. I used a slightly humid paper towel to blend the powder in the tarmac section. This fixes the pastel dust in place, and the section will start to look like a real concrete part. You can ad more pastel dust and repeat until you get the desired effect.

S4yP0KR.jpg

At this point I add the tar joint on the sides. I used liquid tempera applied with a Q-tip. Check your references, as the joints can be very wide!

ZgApLiw.jpg

Oil drips are added here. I suggest some restraint here, and concentrate this effect only where the fuselage is situated.

rk2nBf9.jpg

This is the result, compared to the basic painted part.

LGV97PH.jpg

Thank you for watching, hope this helps!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Alain,

Don't know how come I mised that one......... :doh:

Exelent job, are you gonna have those at Torcan next May...?

Anyway I'm in for two set, will contact you shortly.

Regards,

Dan.

Salut Daniel,

Thank you for the 2 sets, I will wait for your message! No promises for Torcan yet, unfortunately...

NICE!!  Any plans to do them in 1/48??

Actually, this 1/48 set already exists, as a complete display base, and  also a PAG-14 base in 1/72:

PvEqsEr.png?1

i2QZMi4.png?1

I received the cover sheet this weekend for the new 1/32 Hex set, and I am planning the shipping for the present orders to be this coming Friday or Monday!

W2IsItx.png?1

Thank you all!

Alain

PS: I will announce new stuff in 1/32 later this week!

• 1 year later...

They look very good but surely they are concrete rather than tarmac?  Concrete sections seem more robust for a tactical airfield to me.  The painting certainly suggests concrete but the pack labelling says otherwise.

I am sure it is supposed to be concrete. The hexagon shape is to provide expansion joints in all directions. You would never have joints like that in asphalt; I don't know how they would even do it!