Sign in to follow this  
ScanmanDan

Meng Panzer III ( Finished! )

Posted (edited)

My latest critter.

Panzer%20III%2001-L.jpg

As this is one of my all time favourites I have been hanging out for this one to come out.

The kit is the usual Meng Toon affair.  Everything fits very well and has some neat details.  But I like my cartoons a touch less cartoonish so I had to start bashing stuff.  First up was that chunky side armour.  I had to thin it down but keep as many pieces of the original kit as I could.  Here's the first side all done.

Panzer%20III%2002-L.jpg

Everything thinned out and new armour from styrene sheet.  ( hacked out and replaced the intake mesh too, cause I'm a nut.)

Panzer%20III%2003-L.jpg

I think this looks a bit better than...

Panzer%20III%2004-L.jpg

This?

Now that I know what I'm doing should only take a couple hours to fix up the other side.  Then I can get on to the rest of the bits :)

Loving it so far and looking forward to painting this one ( Yellow with green wavy stripes )

Thanks for looking in.

Anybody else building one of these?  Or the new Panther?

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Dan,

When in your other Meng builds, you mentioned the PzIII I was intrigued.  I'll be interested to see how this one goes.  Looks like you're off to a great start.

Gaz

Occasionally I play panzer 3 in war thunder, but it isn't an favorite. However I still remember the Matchbox desert boxing in 1/76. Cracked earth base with skull of unfortunate critter included. Wonderful stuff.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Gaz, bashing the other side armour now but want to get her up on her pins by nightfall.  Having a blast and gluing my fingers together, stupid superglue :doh: .  Remember when all you had was Testors tube glue and those small glass bottles ( Pactra?) of enamel paint that took ages to dry.... 

Mark, Glad you like the mods.  I am trying to limit the add ons, just tidying up the heaviness of the kit.  I think these are meant to be used in some kind of war-game which explains some of the robust nature that is baked into the design.

Hardcore, I do so enjoy the retro feel of all these toonish kits.  Shawn's Lex has me looking at the ships too. :D  Love the Sunday morning feel of building like when I stayed at my Grandad's place.  He always had a new kit for me to dive into after church.  ( Made up for having to put on a tie and polish my shoes, not to mention sitting still and not playing up. :innocent:  )

More soon if I get all the road wheels together, plus the tracks are in a right state, all twisted up and yucky.  Hopefully a little heat from a hairdryer will sort them out.

Edited by ScanmanDan

Posted (edited)

Progress;

Panzer%20III%2005-L.jpg

Panzer%20III%2006-L.jpg

Most of my time spent on modifying the drive and return wheels as they both come as exactly the same parts.  Also spent some time adding little bits here and there but nothing too much.  I will add some stowage and some epoxy putty tarps to add some colour.  Still have a smile on my face so must be doing something right.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan

Cute!  I have their TIger II to get to in the stash. Im just afraid looking at your builds Dan, that Id go all AMS on it, and it would turn from a simple build into a much more complex one of my own doing!!  :lol: 

Thanks Shawn, though AMS is always lurking in the shadows, along with many, many squirrels to distract from getting anything done.

Brian, yep adding just one more bit can be the undoing of these little critters.  I am trying real hard to limit what I add and not be too crazy with my delusions of grandeur.  Just a nice basic paint job and no scenic base.  ( though I do have some ideas to ...... ;)  )

Hardcore, the track sux.  No way around it.  They are the worst legacy of these kits being toys for kids and wargaming pieces.  Yes, the basic rubber bands keep the price down but, oh my, do they let the side down.  I wish Meng had just spent a touch more money on the basic molds, as a lot of the kits use the same tracks, because the Tiger I tracks ain't half bad.  Short of replacing them you just have to make do.  That's one reason I left the side shirts on this build.

A bit of progress over Easter.  Still a lot I want to do but getting to look like the way I want it.

Panzer%20III%2007-X2.jpg

I love going through my older junked models and finding bits to steal for these kinds of projects.  Having fun and that's the point of modelling.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Occasionally I play panzer 3 in war thunder, but it isn't an favorite. However I still remember the Matchbox desert boxing in 1/76. Cracked earth base with skull of unfortunate critter included. Wonderful stuff.

Was it in that weird tan with a hint of orange plastic?

My brother and I would build opposing forces for the North African theater as we had lots of sand growing up in Florida. Lots of Matchbox, Airfix, and Esci 1/72 and 1/76 getting trashed in the backyard.