Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

While the engine face does look a bit bare, even with the moderate skill I possess I think I could make it look decent behind the props and surrounded by cowling. I think it only makes a difference if you want to display an opened engine, in which case the AM will likely step up. I don't open panels and such so for me if you can't see certain parts through any windows or openings, then I don't care if they are detailed or not. I only paint the parts of engines that I can see and I leave out interior parts that cannot be seen unless they are part of the structural integrity. For example, the Trumpeter Hellcat I built has no radio behind the pilot's seat because it can't be seen. Why bother?

Edited by CATCplSlade

at least we have some pics of test sprues already :D

I have it on preorder and will buy it regardless the diletant approach to the details like engines, nacelles or turrets (I would guess that engines are 1/72 level of detail :wacko:)

Somehow I'm little bit dissapointed. Hopefully there will be tons of AM soon.

And IMHO the low price cannot excuse lack of accuracy or details. I will always prefer better kit even more expensive. (I remember year ago new P-51D - cheap but great 20€ kit - received lot of criticism for minor things and was compared to Tamiya etc. :DodgeBall:)

but one never knows, maybe Tamiya or HKM will announce in upcoming days that they are working on new B-24 as well and we will get more options :D

despite all the new pics I'm still looking forward to this release

jan

Edited by Jan_G

With those engine inserts, why is there 8 of them? Can you see the rear of the engines through the nacelles? I wouldn't think so. I expect a Big Sin set for those, not to mention a pile of PE. 

Still, I think I would rather they do what it takes to keep the cost down as I expect even if they tried to provide a lot of detail it would never reach the level of resin replacements.

22 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

With those engine inserts, why is there 8 of them? Can you see the rear of the engines through the nacelles? I wouldn't think so. I expect a Big Sin set for those, not to mention a pile of PE. 

Still, I think I would rather they do what it takes to keep the cost down as I expect even if they tried to provide a lot of detail it would never reach the level of resin replacements.

I don't know much about the B-24, but I found this:

https://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi1125.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl588%2Fcutandfold%2FB24%20Liberator%2Flb30engine.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.papermodelers.com%2Fforum%2Fkit-announcements%2F29419-1-50-lb-30-liberator-b24-boac-ferry.html&docid=CQ57Z1f-LLMIJM&tbnid=YTf2ePzG8lOY2M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjEpsLi94PeAhXvwYsKHW8aA3MQMwheKBYwFg..i&w=721&h=454&bih=686&biw=1396&q=b-24 cowling&ved=0ahUKEwjEpsLi94PeAhXvwYsKHW8aA3MQMwheKBYwFg&iact=mrc&uact=8

Those engines indeed look ridiculous, but considering the low price (best I found: 130 €), I'll propably buy this kit. We will see how much of those caricature-engines is visible once they are inside the cowlings.

Cheers

Alex

I bought Tamiya's Mossie. Superb kit, all bells & whistles, suitably priced.

Because I have some sort of mental ailment, I then bought:

A pair of Eduard Merlins; (a bloody pair!)

The Eduard Big-Ed set;

Eduard nose-gun set;

Eduard gun-bay set;

Eduard exhaust stacks;

Eduard wheels;

Master gun-barrels & pitot set.

This is typical.

So, having a cheap, basic kit that is a decent overall shape really suits me, and will save me money.

So I'd rather see more HB type kits, warts and all.

2 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

That was noted when the first prototype photos were posted - awaiting having the parts in my hands so I can quantify - but fixable I recon.

The cross section of the Davis wing is pretty distinctive.

Iain

How do you fix the curvature of the upper wing and it’s juncture with the fuselage?  Seems impossible.   Look forward to seeing some pictures of the parts to figure out how much of an issue this will be.  

With regard to those crappy engines, what do you figure the cost will be for 4 - 32nd scale resin motors from Brassin or Vector?   $60- $80 is my guess.  

Hi John,

46 minutes ago, John1 said:

How do you fix the curvature of the upper wing and it’s juncture with the fuselage?  Seems impossible.   Look forward to seeing some pictures of the parts to figure out how much of an issue this will be. 

If it does look like it could do with shape improvement, current thoughts on my part - judicious bending to correct shape - which will probably then need a lengthwise cut from root to near the tip and strip of plastic letting in along the upper surface of the wing.  Easier than it could have been I recon - was expecting a recess in the fuselage, rather than the butt fit we can see in the test shot images.

Building a B-24 it will probably need the upper nacelle sections removing before the above, and subsequent re-fitting after a little fettling. If converting to a Privateer, these sections have to be replaced anyway.

*If* needed, I'll happily tackle early on in any build thread I post, so anyone interested can compare notes.

Anyway, all speculation/absolutely academic at present - until we get the kit in our collective hands...

Iain

Looks great to me. Buying is looking increasingly likely here @£135, but awaiting the D to make a Navy PB4Y-1 greenhouse nose in off white and dark grey with a hint of blue. (Assuming of course, the nose glazing comes in a single piece without a joint in the middle.) 

Errors in the wing thickness will, no doubt, be more noticeable in NMF.

If Hobby Boss follow these up with a "simplified, looks good" Sunderland and late variant Halifax in my lifetime I'd be well chuffed. 

Tony 

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Looks great to me. Buying is looking increasingly likely here @£135, but awaiting the D to make a Navy PB4Y-1 greenhouse nose in off white and dark grey with a hint of blue. (Assuming of course, the nose glazing comes in a single piece without a joint in the middle.) 

Errors in the wing thickness will, no doubt, be more noticeable in NMF.

If Hobby Boss follow these up with a "simplified, looks good" Sunderland and late variant Halifax in my lifetime I'd be well chuffed. 

Tony 

I’m good with that general approach I suppose.   Kinda similar to Revell vrs Tamiya.  Much less detail but in turn, much cheaper.     You can jazz it up with aftermarket to whatever level suits you.   Only caveat is that they have to get the basics done accurately.   So far I’m not convinced that Hobbyboss has succeeded.  Time will tell.   

Edited by John1

2 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Hi John,

If it does look like it could do with shape improvement, current thoughts on my part - judicious bending to correct shape - which will probably then need a lengthwise cut from root to near the tip and strip of plastic letting in along the upper surface of the wing.  Easier than it could have been I recon - was expecting a recess in the fuselage, rather than the butt fit we can see in the test shot images.

Building a B-24 it will probably need the upper nacelle sections removing before the above, and subsequent re-fitting after a little fettling. If converting to a Privateer, these sections have to be replaced anyway.

*If* needed, I'll happily tackle early on in any build thread I post, so anyone interested can compare notes.

Anyway, all speculation/absolutely academic at present - until we get the kit in our collective hands...

Iain

Count me very interested, Iain.

Cheers,

D.B.

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

+ 2!

+3!

If a PBY conversion becomes reality, I could see in my future 'Lady B Good' and a PBY. For similar airframes, they couldn't look more different. Don't know where I would put them, but that is for the future to figure out!