Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

OK - RAF 'mods' - reading 'International Air Power Review' - Vol 4, page 159:

The RAF's first B-24Ds were 11 early production aircraft transferred from the USAAF in March/April 1942 after Prime Minister Churchill appealed for more aircraft with which to tackle the U-Boat menace. Though they were considered 'non-standard' by the RAF (I'm assuming this included turrets), most were equipped with ASV radar and rushed into service with Nos 59, 86 and 120 Sqns. When true Lend Lease B-24Ds (Liberator Mk IIIs) began to arrive shortly afterwards, the 11 so called 'Battle of the Atlantic' aircraft were re-designated Mk. IIIA.

post-260-0-37890300-1521145580_thumb.jpeg
IWM Image - Liberator GR Mark IIIA, LV345 'E', parked in a dispersal at Aldergrove, County Antrim, at the culmination of its service with of No. 86 Squadron RAF, and shortly before joining the Liberator Flight of No. 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit at Beaulieu, Hampshire.

With serial numbers in the LV3xx series, this aircraft (illustrated) is one of the 11 B-24Ds delivered in 1942 for use by Coastal Command. Fitted with American armament and other equipment, these aircraft were treated as non-standard by the RAF...

So there *may* be an easy(ish) route to a Coastal Command airframe if the above can be confirmed with regard to armament fit...

Iain

For the Boulton Paul Type E tail turret perhaps you can ask John Wilkes AKA Tigger for the Halifax vacform turret parts.

Cees

That option didnt even occur to me Cees!   Do you know for sure (I would assume so, but we all know what Benny Hill taught us about assuming :lol: ) if John includes decent vac turrets with his kits? 

Liberator B Mk. III (Serial No. BZ899), RCAF No. 159 (B) Squadron, with a four-gun Boulton-Paul tail gun turret. SL Hugo Beall & FO Gordon Doherty, 4 May 1944.  The squadron was based at RAF Station Digri, Bengal, British India on the date the photo was taken

Consolidated-B-24-Liberator--Eastern-IndConsolidated-B-24-Liberator--FOP-Pete-Ev

Guest Clunkmeister

No those pics, especially the last three or four, are just incredibly sweet. WOW!

Edited by Clunkmeister

Is that that Eduard one that's >$100 for a 1/72 scale kit? Has anybody built it? That seems an insane price for the scale.

Most of that is due to the price of the Hasegawa kit. They have a $100 MSRP for the base CC Liberator kit alone. That's the real

Insane part!

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/has02241.htm

Guest Maxim

Some really good discussion and ideas gents. I'm thinking I'd like to do a PB4Y-1 as below. The aircraft had the standard nose turret.

oek4p.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

The cool thing about the Liberator is that unlike the B-17, just about everyone operated them. There'll be no shortage of schemes.