Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

To TonyT with regard to the ASW light color.

With the exception of some experiments in colors, AAF B-24 ASW schemes all used a color called "egg-shell" white, not gray.  I believe the same is true of the PB4Y-1's as well. You will find a number of different camouflage patterns on AAF ASW B-24s.  I'm pretty sure the "droop snoot" Middleton mod aircraft were repainted after the mod, providing the high, wavy pattern of the white seen on these aircraft. My posit is also based on the fact that each of these modified aircraft seems to have a slightly different pattern. I hope to be taking a very detailed look at the all the AAF ASW camo schemes sometime in the not-to-distant future. 

As for the aircraft depicted in the old Revell kit, I suspect it was repainted by the Navy, moving the white farther up the fuselage and overpainting what I believe was originally OD41 with the Deck Blue color. However, I want to make it clear that that is only an educated guess at this point. Dana and I both hope to find out more.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith

My personal point of view regarding the looks of the B-17 and B-24, is that the B-24 wins hands down but with regard to beautiful looks, I notice that in the current issue of Airfix Model World magazine, Pocketbond have started to advertise that HK Lancaster!

Could it's arrival be just around the corner...

I've personally seen a 1/32nd BUFF up close.......its not even remotely hang on the ceiling or wall big......its legitimately more like requires it's own separate ROOM to display big. We have one down at the SAC museum on display. I don't have a table in my house, including my main dinning room table big enough to put it on.

Saw that model in the SAC Museum in 1999. Hell of a thing. (Great museum, too.)

As a kid in the mid seventies I watched a documentary on the recovery of a B-24 from a Dutch polder, the airframe was mostly complete and the missing crew were found (unfortunately the wreck was blown up afterwards). The archive footage made an enormous impression on me especially when you see a nmf Liberator flying and the next thing is that the entire wing breaks off and it heels over. That was what got me into aircraft wreck recovery for sure. The B-24 always impressed me.
Cees

To TonyT with regard to the ASW light color.

With the exception of some experiments in colors, AAF B-24 ASW schemes all used a color called "egg-shell" white, not gray.  I believe the same is true of the PB4Y-1's as well. You will find a number of different camouflage patterns on AAF ASW B-24s.  I'm pretty sure the "droop snoot" Middleton mod aircraft were repainted after the mod, providing the high, wavy pattern of the white seen on these aircraft. My posit is also based on the fact that each of these modified aircraft seems to have a slightly different pattern. I hope to be taking a very detailed look at the all the AAF ASW camo schemes sometime in the not-to-distant future. 

As for the aircraft depicted in the old Revell kit, I suspect it was repainted by the Navy, moving the white farther up the fuselage and overpainting what I believe was originally OD41 with the Deck Blue color. However, I want to make it clear that that is only an educated guess at this point. Dana and I both hope to find out more.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith

Thanks Alan. I think the off-white is a matter of semantics. Anyone building it would seek more depth on a model so would likely use ivory or very pale grey. When does white become grey?

I am interested in a blue-grey match in Humbrolese.

All the best

Tony

thinking B-24 D and RAF Coastal Command...

i would love to be able to make one of these options per Eduard's (1/72 scale) kit, with the rocket rails attached to platforms / 'mini wings' just below the cockpit!

they do look cool don't they?

40384571962_f5e3386734_b.jpg

somehow i just can't see any of the aftermarket guys stepping up for this project

the only person who might would be Roy Sutherland of Baracuda, knowing he likes a lot of navy type planes

they do look cool don't they?

40384571962_f5e3386734_b.jpg

Sponsons on  Lib DO look cool!   I personally love the CC look as well, but am hoping to find a J model mess with the CC camo on top, and a standard J model turret. From what I can see from looking around, it appears there might have been some CC ships with the standard turret, and some with what appears to be the PB4Y-2 type turret, which for me would be right out, as scratching up that thing looks about impossible for me personally to do well.