HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

6 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

It really looks nice,  I must admit though that I really wish it didn't have the fuse windows or had them molded where they needed to be cut out.

All the Lancs I'd want to model don't have the windows and filling them is certainly going mar all that nice surface detail.

Not necessarily.  most of the detail in the area of the windows is recessed, which means any marring can be much easier to rectify.  We are modelers.  It's a challenge that can be overcome.

EDIT:  I just noticed on the box art that this kit is part of the "Lancaster Series".   Okay...

Edited by esarmstrong

I've been watching this and been saying "That's too big for me to handle in my man-cave" - but it's a Lancaster, so I may just have to succumb and worry about getting a quart into a pint pot later!

The standard wartime scheme is fine, but doesn't it look nice in Tiger Force/post-war colours? https://masterbombercraig.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/lancastertll.jpg?w=796&h=598

Or perhaps Coastal Command as a GR1/3?  https://www.baesystems.com/en/download-en/heritageimage/webImage/20161107122720/1434577813453.jpg

Mind you, much as I like recce in general, I draw the line at a PR1.  http://www.spyflight.co.uk/images/JPGS/Avro Lancaster PR1/Lancaster PR1.jpg

Plenty of inspiration there - bring the kit on!

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

I've been watching this and been saying "That's too big for me to handle in my man-cave" - but it's a Lancaster, so I may just have to succumb and worry about getting a quart into a pint pot later!

The standard wartime scheme is fine, but doesn't it look nice in Tiger Force/post-war colours? https://masterbombercraig.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/lancastertll.jpg?w=796&h=598

Or perhaps Coastal Command as a GR1/3?  https://www.baesystems.com/en/download-en/heritageimage/webImage/20161107122720/1434577813453.jpg

Mind you, much as I like recce in general, I draw the line at a PR1.  http://www.spyflight.co.uk/images/JPGS/Avro Lancaster PR1/Lancaster PR1.jpg

Plenty of inspiration there - bring the kit on!

what have you done !!!!  I'm really tempted by the tiger force and coastal command schemes - that's another 2 kits to buy and display. 

Aye, right Dean, you'll likely grab a large proportion of the UK allocation before we get a chance to buy :)

Seriously, really am tempted with this one, love the Lanc, but if I knew a Dambusters version were to follow I would wait for that as I have a close affinity with the 617 squadron ... living near RAF Lossiemouth (now RAF Marham for the F-35's) from where they recently flew from, albeit with the much more modern Tornado GR4. RAF Lossie had all the replica bombs that were used on display for public open days though.

Ewan McGregor's brother, Colin flew with 617 and their Tornado's and met him a few times as he still lives in my town, a Biker the same as myself :)

_1806991_pg_ewan6.jpg

Desperately trying to cut down on my stash and uber large models though, but perhaps for this an exception could be made, resisted the B-17 (just) it will be harder for me to resist this.

Wow...  one guy has a simple comment about stressed skin not being replicated and we've got multiple members getting their panties in a twist over it.  I guess anytime someone makes a comment that is anything other than "this kit is the best thing since sliced white bread", they will get slapped down because they are "bitching".   

It was a reasonable question, given that when the kit was previewed over on HS a few months back, it was conclusively stated that it WOULD have stressed skin replicated.  

http://hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/kits/hkmodelsancasterpreviewjh_1.htm

Not a big deal to me either way since I won't be buying this kit but it would have been a cool feature nonetheless. 

Reminds me more of the last forum I used to actively participate in.   Pretty sad....

Edited by John1

I don't usually "go off on one" but I made the comment about the stressed skin "issue" because i find this sort of uninformed comment / criticism extremely unhelpful.  

John, assuming we are discussing the same comment posted by Mark Stephens on the HK modellers site: 

"Slightly dissapointing, I was hoping for the quilted airfix typhoon style skin after all the hype, just looks like normal modern tooling finish in pics...."

I'm sorry but this comes across as non constructive criticism of the product because it doesn't meet his expectations.   

Mark has choices. Why not buy the kit assess it then either repent the amount of money wasted because it hasn't got stressed skin, add stressed skin if its so accurately important, buy the kit and enjoy it or don't buy the kit at all. Its simple really.  

What is wrong with acknowledging the fact that we have the choice to buy such a well developed kit at all, together with the amount of development research and down right hard work thats gone into providing the hobby with such a kit.  

If the comment had been posted in terms of he's disappointed because of the lack of stressed skin so be it, but to then comment on the "hype" and the "modern tooling finish", that is unnecessary.

As far as being jumped on by the mob, i'm sorry but it wasn't a question rather an individual and uninformed observation. 

As far as LSP reminding you of other forums you have participated in, I cant comment on your previous experience, but NEVER have I either experienced or participated in a mob mentality on these pages. 

I think its more a case of some modellers stressed out over the stressed skin effect (or lack of) than anything else :excl:

As a possible/likely buyer, I'm not going to stress about it, the plastic surface detail still looks good, what we need to remember is that to do a proper stressed skin effect would take longer and more expensive tooling, we are already looking at ... I guess, around £250, perhaps £270 or more for this kit where I live, stressed skin effect done accurately would drag the project along further and push up the costs exponentially, especially on such large areas of plastic this kit has and the tooling time and cost needed to pull off that effect ... and then if price went up and delays were announced to accommodate this we'd get some real complaining :)

Bottom line is  ... not everyone can be pleased, everything in Modelling and Life for that matter is a compromise ... perhaps if the stressed skin effect were not mentioned in relation to this kit in the first place, then it might not be expected?  Very few 1/32 kits actually have it, and although it is a Lanc highlight, it was probably the same with other 1/32 and larger kits too where the real subject had it too, but we accepted it anyway.

Stressed skin effect is the new mantra of the modeller critic it seems.

Shrugs ... I dunno, but its not a show stopper for me  *IF* I were to buy one :)

46 minutes ago, John1 said:

Wow...  one guy has a simple comment about stressed skin not being replicated and we've got multiple members getting their panties in a twist over it.  I guess anytime someone makes a comment that is anything other than "this kit is the best thing since sliced white bread", they will get slapped down because they are "bitching".   

It was a reasonable question, given that when the kit was previewed over on HS a few months back, it was conclusively stated that it WOULD have stressed skin replicated.  

http://hyperscale.com/2018/reviews/kits/hkmodelsancasterpreviewjh_1.htm

Not a big deal to me either way since I won't be buying this kit but it would have been a cool feature nonetheless. 

Reminds me more of the last forum I used to actively participate in.   Pretty sad....

I hear your point John, just read the link, it was James Hatch, a well respected modeller that wrote it would have this, so now we see where the expectations are coming from?

But Perhaps James was misqouted ?, am sure he reported with all honesty from what he was told at time of that article, perhaps too that goal became unrealistic as the project budget came under pressure and that goal was never relayed to us, it does seem a shame we wont get that effect in the finished kit now, but I still maintain if we had not heard it might happen then we would never have expected it and we would be none the wiser.

I hope that makes sense? I'm not a good writer.

At the end of the day it seems we wont have stressed skin effect on the final kit and I can sort of understand why, it was a way over ambitious goal for this project IMHO.

No kit is perfect, this Lancaster wont be either, we have what we have ... and what we have or soon will, looks good by any LSP standard to me.

5 minutes ago, Southern Bandit said:

I hear your point John, just read the link, it was James Hatch, a well respected modeller that wrote it would have this, so now we see where the expectations are coming from?

But Perhaps James was misqouted ?, am sure he reported with all honesty from what he was told at time of that article, perhaps too that goal became unrealistic as the project budget came under pressure and that goal was never relayed to us, it does seem a shame we wont get that effect in the finished kit now, but I still maintain if we had not heard it might happen then we would never have expected it and we would be none the wiser.

At the end of the day it seems we wont have stressed skin effect on the final kit and I can sort of understand why, it was a way over ambitious goal for this project IMHO.

No kit is perfect, this Lancaster wont be either, we have what we have ... and what we have or soon will, looks good by any LSP standard to me.

Well put.   Just disappointing when someone raises an issue (wasn't even a complaint really) and gets sniped at for "bitching".  Isn't that what these forums are supposed to be about, people sharing opinions on the subject at hand? 

At the end of the day it's an HK production issue and I'm sure their reasons for not trying to push the state of the art (pretty sure no one else has ever tried this, especially on such a massive subject as the Lanc) were valid. Still going to be an awesome kit and I really look forward to seeing what some of the talented modelers on this site can do with her.  

And as an intermission to our HK Lancaster debate, here is a nice video from our sponsors, to enjoy the sights and sounds of a real Lancaster :) Perhaps it will inspire more to buy the kit and produce real 1/32 masterpieces.

I've seen the real BoB Memorial Lanc in flight a few times, its something I will never forget.

Play it loud please.

24 minutes ago, Southern Bandit said:

"Expectation is a prison"