HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

It represents an aircraft belonging to the "Dambusters" attacking the Möhne dam in Germany in WWII.

Lothar

... but from the wrong direction???

Surely at the moment of detonation the Lanc should be over the dam and beetling down the (dry) valley on the other side.

Edited by Chek

I have been to the Eder dam and you can still see a dark shadow from the breach repair and some sluice gates are missing too. Impressive to stand on it and image what happened that night.

Sent shivers down my spine.

When I was stationed at RAF Gutersloh in the late 80s we regularly visited the Mohne Dam and you could certainly see where the breach had been repaired.  I always marvelled at how they got a Lanc into the valley and delivered a bomb at night.  However, what made the shivers run down my spine was one Sunday when my family and I were walking round the far end of the lake at the base of the dam.  I became aware of a piston engined multi approaching, at which point an AEW Shackleton came over the dam and right over us at low level.  With the AEW radome underneath I initially thought it was a Lanc carrying an upkeep bomb until I gathered my wits. To say it was a surprise is an understatement, not least because at the time there was a low flying ban on RAF aircraft over the dam.  We were on a level with the base of the dam and it appeared to me to go over us at only a couple of hundred feet; lord knows what those on top of the dam thought.  At work the following morning the Ops guys told me that it had been operating out of RAF Wildenrath and ordered back to Lossiemouth immediately after what I can only assume was an unauthorised low level fly by.  Sod's law I didn't have a camera with me; it would have made a truly awesome photo.

Several people have mentioned the idea of displaying the nose of the HK Lanc so you can see more of the internal detail.  In the book Ton-Up Lancs by Norman Franks there are a couple of photos of Mk1 R5868 (the RAF Museum aircraft) undergoing a major refit that included removing the entire nose and the engines.  Make an interesting, albeit very large diorama that would allow the internals of both the nose and fuselage to be displayed.  While the photos of the HK model I have seen suggest that the position of the nose/fuselage joint may not be the same as the real thing it might prove food for thought for someone.       

I've been to all three when we were stationed in Iserlohn and you could see the repairs clearly on the Mohne as well, It's very much a leisure lake for sailing etc and there used to be souvenir shops in the arches of the towers but I think they've gone now.

Graham

40600411110_55dc7f88af_b.jpg1-32 Scale Dambuster Upkeep Mine Parts by uniquenarrowgauge, on Flickr

That's a lovely painting, or whatever it is.  Accurate or not, I'm in aw.  Amazing what skills some people have, whether it's from a paint brush, or the click of a mouse.  I wonder if prints are available.

Right clicked on that guy.  I love av art.

Edited by Patrick HMD

Guest Maxim

That's a lovely painting, or whatever it is.  Accurate or not, I'm in aw.  Amazing what skills some people have, whether it's from a paint brush, or the click of a mouse.  I wonder if prints are available.

Right clicked on that guy.  I love av art.

Yea, I did the same and now it's the current desktop screensaver.

I have been to the Eder dam and you can still see a dark shadow from the breach repair and some sluice gates are missing too. Impressive to stand on it and image what happened that night.

Sent shivers down my spine.

Yep.  Rented a boat to get close to it.  This was years ago.

HK Posted on Facebook today that they are hoping for a September release.

Hate to say it, but thank goodness it is later than sooner. You know, budget thingy going on.... I've worked a deal on a HK B-17G I have to pay for first, along with Paul Fishers Guppy Skyraider conversion I'm getting.

Edited by ScottsGT