HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

Seeing as there are a shedload of Lancaster fans milling about this thread, I wonder if anyone can answer something I've often wondered.

When the nose turret rotates away from the dead ahead position, is there some sort of baffle behind it to stop the 250 mph wind from whipping through the fuselage?

So far the model shows nothing there.

There is an internal "shield" inside the nosesection that acts as a windcurtain. At the back of the rear fuselage there is an external wind deflector around the fuselage made from wood and fabric to prevent control difficulties when the rear turret is rotated.

Cees

Guest Clunkmeister

So will there be a Canadian built Lanc option with Packard engines, Martin turrets, Hamilton props, etc?

Further to Clunkmeister's comments, the kit should have not only skinned over windows but also skinned over locations for the Frazer-Nash and Martin upper turrets and ventral turret thereby offering the modeller a broad choice of variants to model and precluding the need for HK models to make separate moulds should they wish to offer earlier and/or later marks.

There is an internal "shield" inside the nosesection that acts as a windcurtain. At the back of the rear fuselage there is an external wind deflector around the fuselage made from wood and fabric to prevent control difficulties when the rear turret is rotated.

Cees

Thanks, I'd guessed as much, and I'd seen the arrangement at the rear turret on the Elvington Halifax during its restoration, and thought the Lancaster's would be similar. I'm still unsure about the actual appearance and associated fittings of the front turret shield, but hopefully the kit and some illustrated builds will clear up any mysteries. I had photocopied almost half of a Lancaster technical manual back in the early '90s for a series of commission builds, but that particular detail wasn't deemed necessary in an era when every page added to the cost. Of course, I could kick myself now.

And it's worth noting that the forward turret was very rarely used so rotation wasn't really much of an issue.

I'm not sure how  common it may have been, but ISTR some gunners tried to shoot out search lights. And of course it wasn't a full-time job, unlike the mid and rear turret gunners.

Try looking at pics taken during the recent refurbishment of nx611 at east kirkby. With the fn5 removed you can see the screen behind the turret location.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the fuselage windows what would have been the general reaction on fora like lsp if the windows hadn't been included?

Just curious.

Cees

If they were skinned over, it wouldn't bother me, it would probably be a good idea, but then filling them in doesn't bother me either..... 

If they were skinned over though, there would be as many complaints from the 'Sit on my lap while I walk about' brigade who only want to shake the box and have it come pre painted as well.

HK can't win either way. Folks will moan....

Me, I am just ecstatic there is a 32nd Lanc coming at all!!