HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

Great but what I don't understand is the quote loads of internal details, it's a Lanc and most of it will never see the light of day unlike the B17F. Unless there's a clever way that front section doesn't need glued and can be separated from the fuselage.

Graham

I hadn't realised before how much bigger the B-17 was despite its much smaller payload. The Lancaster's looking very promising.

Given the model's breakdown, I wonder if the nose section could be marketed as a separate kit for those unable or unwilling to devote the display acreage to the full kit? I could easily see a ton of enhancements (Master gun barrels, Yahu panels etc.) poured into a small-er display like this pair (and others), just as with the full kit. 

(Photos courtesy Brian Marshall)

27995171368_14a4e84c57_o.jpg

41863960741_cc93390040_o.jpg

Ok my thoughts, and I accept there are many more Lancaster experts out there than me. 

The wing connection method appears to be the same as that employed on the B17 which makes the wings detachable. If HK do as good a job in this area as they did on the B17 thats one great plus point. 

The point at which the front section attaches seems to allow for other variants of the Lanc i.e Upkeep Tallboy and Grand Slam haulers i.e no front turret etc. Accepted the  Dambuster version would require a different bomb bay setup but the area of the bomb bay appears to allow for this.  

Neil did elude to different versions being released at some  point. the first Mosquito release evidences that, bulged bomb bay clear parts for pr version windows etc 

Me? ill be happy when the first version hits the shops so I can complete the 97 sqdn aircraft "memorial" 

Hi Chek, where are the pictures of the lanc and halifax nose sections taken ?  I much prefer the halifax over the lanc, it's a much better looking plane to my eyes (and my dad flew in them and hated all of the press going to the lanc and that's probably rubbed off on me !). Still, I can't wait for this kit, I can see it sitting alongside my current B17 and the pair of B24's that I will also have to buy !

Hi Chek, where are the pictures of the lanc and halifax nose sections taken ?  I much prefer the halifax over the lanc, it's a much better looking plane to my eyes (and my dad flew in them and hated all of the press going to the lanc and that's probably rubbed off on me !). Still, I can't wait for this kit, I can see it sitting alongside my current B17 and the pair of B24's that I will also have to buy !

Duxford by the looks of it.

Yes, taken at Duxford as they were stored there, whilst the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth was refurbished!

I believe that the Lancaster has since returned but the Halifax is still at Duxford.

I can still remember walking through both sections as a kid, such a shame that this is no longer a possibility!

As for the size of the Lancaster (compared to the B-17) that can only be good news as it will mean that I could have 2 Squadrons rather than just one :lol:

Edited by Tony C

I remember the Halifax restorers from Elvington putting forward a request for the Halifax front-section to aid them in their rebuild of 'Friday the 13th', but they were rebutted for what I was told were 'poltical' reasons.

Shame, as they then had to fabricate a front end for Ft13, and that real one has (to my knowledge) languished somewhere at Duxford ever since.

The Lib sometimes looked as if it were wearing a puffer jacket. Might have got heavily stressed by a big load and/or heavy landing.

Do you remember the B-52Ds post-Vietnam? Before the Pacer Plank mods they were rippled, and many afterwards too. Like some giant had twisted and untwisted the fuselage. You should see the BUFF at Duxford. Amazing thing.

But would the "bulk market" buy a bomber kit if it was skinned authentically, oil-canned stressed panels, patches, warts 'n' all? There were a lot of US Navy F-4s with all kinds of strips and scabs on them by the mid-1970s but the first thing the aficionados say is "sand and rescribe".

In any event, such a finish on a four-motor would be a tooling nightmare; how much longer do you want to wait for a 1/32 Lanc?

Tony