HK Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

I did a Lanc taxi run at East Kirkby 10 years ago for my 60th, a wonderful experience indeed, though I was disappointed at how short it was....we trundled off the tarmac onto the grass, did a turn then back onto the tarmac. In my naiviety (perhaps) I was expecting a longer tail up run as shown (but not specified) on the website at the time. Memorable nonetheless.

Enjoy it, Graham.

About 15 years ago, The Boss got me a one hour flight in the CWH Lancaster.  I can't put into words the emotions and feelings of that one hour.  One of the other guests that day was a Polish pilot with 33 wartime sorties on Wellingtons, Halifaxes and Lancasters.  When he spoke, everyone listened.  The entire day was a real eye opener.  The 60 degrees of bank over the museum before we landed was indescribable.  The turbulence we encountered during the flight ( a very windy day that almost canceled the flight) gave everyone pause to imagine what ops on a bomber would have been like...except it wasn't pitch black outside, we weren't being coned by searchlights, we weren't dodging night fighters and we weren't having to deal with flak.  Just walking around inside caused one to be off balance.  The I tried to imagine the smells and other sensations one might have encountered.  It was a truly humbling experience.  And yes; my shins lost the argument with the main spars while getting to the flight deck.  One thing the veteran did tell us was that the aircraft would not have been buffeted around as we were experiencing.  The combined weight of the fuel and bomb load would have made the aircraft very stable during taxi and take off.  As I type this, the feelings I encountered that day come to the forefront.

And you probably weren't wearing bulky flying gear too.

Nope but I'm 6' tall and at the time was about 260 lbs so my girth simulated the bulk of the Irvin jackets and everything else.  For a big airplane, there's bugger all room inside.  And the noise of four Merlins on the flight deck, and no ear protection except for foam ear plugs, was unbelievable.  You could feel it in you chest.

This is my friend, Mr. Bob Bradley.  He completed a full tour as a mid upper gunner on a Lancaster with 576 Sqn, RAF.  He proudly wears the Bomber Command Clasp on his Canadian Volunteer Service Medal.

41559701501_8d4820b4b7.jpg

It's just a shame that a lot of those brave guys had to go onto pastures new before they were recognised with the clasp, and do not get me started on the lack of government resolve to build a Bomber Command memorial, thankfully that had been addressed, but the Government should have done that years ago . A brave guy and one that I hold in high regard, please pass on my regards to the fine gentleman.

Edited by TonyT

I have booked a taxi ride in Just Jane for me birthday :m0152: as I can't wait for the kit so this was the next best thing on offer, oh and I am taking the wife and paid for her to do the tour and spend the day watching a taxiing Lanc :wub: just so she understands (if there is such a thing) :yahoo:

Graham

My dentist did one - has the photo proudly displayed on his surgery wall.

He was allowed to take the wheel and steer a bit.

£3,000.

I conclude that dentists earn far too much.

I conclude that dentists earn far too much.

It's only fair, after all, they have to pay back their tuition loans, which in the case of my dentist, must have been two or three million dollars.

It's only fair, after all, they have to pay back their tuition loans, which in the case of my dentist, must have been two or three million dollars.

American higher education is just bonkers to end up with debts anywhere near that. My dentist is British.

My dentist did one - has the photo proudly displayed on his surgery wall.

He was allowed to take the wheel and steer a bit.

£3,000.

Sorry, that's just not right on two accounts; firstly the cost is below £500.00 and was "only £250" when I did it, and secondly given the rarity and value of Lancasters I can't see any Tom, Dick or Harry being chanced with the wheel in his hands.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/lancaster-taxy-rides/vip-day/

Sounds more like a flight on the Canadian Lanc when she came over here a few years ago.

Edited by mozart