Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

14 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

I am so sorry, Vaughn.  A tragedy for everyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, it is indeed. Far to young and full of life to end this way. She was an amazing modeler, talented engineer and a very 'real' person.

In the rush and turmoil leading up to the finish I realize that I missed something. I had thought the 'saddle tanks' seemed a bit bland.. they neededed some type of detail.. I thought about straps, fillercaps but then thought rivets would look cool and 'steampunkish..'.. but where to get rivets ?... nothing for it but to try making my own.  I grabbed a connector that I'd snagged from a garbage bin for the wire and as it's soft metal thought it would work. I used a small drill to create a divot in the metal. you can see it in the top right corner...

dBMvL8l.jpg

Then using scrap plastic and sprue heated with a candle I pressed the hot plastic against the metal and got this raised impression... 1/2 mm in dia.

nG7QDxq.jpg

Lots N' lots of them...

pvGJeOg.jpg

Each one was nipped off VERY carefully with a new # 11 blade, speared and just touched to the surface of a drop of super glue, then placed on the tank.. no measuring, MK 1 eyeball all the way..

slSKbMj.jpg

a VERY light sanding, then primer, paint and some pencil graphite I think they came out good.

0MjmpwB.jpg

UhgfjSs.jpg

It wasn't hard, just tedious.. If you can do photo etch, doing rivets like this is just time consuming. The process ensures that all your rivets will be the same and careful placement will make them look good. I hope this was helpful.

On 10/6/2018 at 3:29 AM, Hardcore said:

No guns? 

Actually.... there should be. They were not in Matts first sketch..

Z8wxWSu.jpg

But I later found a more refined version he did (that I didn't care for as much) that had guns in the lower radiator area...

CxypkAW.jpg

I may yet put them in but my modeling mojo is flat at the moment.

Edited by spacewolf

Two words: Under the wings, close to the fuselage.

Heh, it's like a real Messer, they carried extra weapons with difficulty. 

The barrels would need be extra long to protrude properly i suppose. 

Wonder if you got something in the spare box? I have no idea of the scale of the thing. 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, Hardcore said:

Two words: Under the wings, close to the fuselage.

Heh, it's like a real Messer, they carried extra weapons with difficulty. 

The barrels would need be extra long to protrude properly i suppose. 

Wonder if you got something in the spare box? I have no idea of the scale of the thing. 

It's 1/32 of course !!  And as for adding pods ?.. been looking at it and rather negative to the idea.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, ScanmanDan said:

Vaughan,  this is just my humble option but, It's a lovely model, leave it alone.  I think unless you are greatly inspired to add them it is complete and looks great.  I think your model is a wonderful tribute piece. You, Sir, excel on so many levels.  Long may you continue to delight and inspire.  :)

Many thanks for the kind words.. and there is no inspiration at all. I think it will remain as is.