1/200 HMS Rodney with Shagbat: Maintopmast and Topgallant

Uncarina

The 1/35 Schnellboot is a really nice kit and looks impressive when finished.I never like the Higgins much but l do like the Eclo 80ft.

What paint scheme will you have the Rodney in?

Just noticed your in Tucson! Beautiful place! I love the surrounding desert.

I do love the desert here as well. This place is a biotic nexus, with species at their northern limit here coexisting with others at their southern, such as the coati and bear. My HMS Rodney will be in MS.1 Dark Blue-Black (RN 04), MS.2 Dark Grey (RN 05), B5 Blue (RN 07) and 507C Admiralty Light Grey (RN 03).

IqaKkza.jpg

(For reference only)

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Guest Maxim

I do love the desert here as well. This place is a biotic nexus, with species at their northern limit here coexisting with others at their southern, such as the coati and bear. My HMS Rodney will be in MS.1 Dark Blue-Black (RN 04), MS.2 Dark Grey (RN 05), B5 Blue (RN 07) and 507C Admiralty Light Grey (RN 03).

IqaKkza.jpg

(For reference only)

Cheers, Tom

Yea, I like that camo also. Nightmare to mask though but I'm sure you'll pull it off. You using WEM paints? I use WEM with Mr Color Leveling thinner and it goes on really smooth and dries quickly. Tamiya Lacquer thinner works nearly as good. I find that WEM dries to slowly using just enamel thinners.

I look forward to your progress.

Cheers.

Uncarina, you do a better job with 1/200 aircraft, than I do with 1/32! The Walrus is so detailed for such a small scale, well done.

You are very kind! All of the detail, including the rigging, is from the Pontos set, so I just needed an Optivisor.

Cheers, Tom

Yea, I like that camo also. Nightmare to mask though but I'm sure you'll pull it off. You using WEM paints? I use WEM with Mr Color Leveling thinner and it goes on really smooth and dries quickly. Tamiya Lacquer thinner works nearly as good. I find that WEM dries to slowly using just enamel thinners.

I look forward to your progress.

Cheers.

I am using color chips, custom Tamiya paint mixes, and very large paint jars! I also have an assortment of Vallejo paints with matching colors for the inevitable touch-up work. I am tempted to move on to the hull to get the painting started, but my current plan is to finish up a few more details in the midships area, including the searchlights and the mainmast.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Tom...unbelievable work with that etched brass. The Rodney is really coming alive! The walkway across the inside of the funnel is incredible...hope no crewman for punishment had to go across while the ship was underway! Saw a couple of posts back they bought the 200 scale USS Hornet...would love to watch that go together. Monday will be the anniversary of the Doolittle Raid...18 April 1942. Really wish they would do a 1/200 USS Enterprise as well.

Guest Maxim

Trumpeter will release a 1/200 USS Enterprise CV-6 in 1942 fit next quarter. So it'll have Wildcats, Dauntless, Devastators in the kit same as the Merritt USS Hornet has.

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of an update: the four main searchlights, and most of the mainmast. Each part consists of approximately a googleplex of brass parts, intense scrutiny, numerous glances at the Pontos instructions, adding glue, removing extra glue, realizing the alignment is off, detaching, cleaning, reapplying. But it is fun! I've painted the searchlights to avoid masking later.

Cheers, Tom

0CfmJgh.jpg

oUMJFfu.jpg

5RTdpDJ.jpg

fuJtzbm.jpg

0mDh5Fs.jpg

You are very kind! Not much skill needed here, just the necessity to cut and bend small brass. It is amazing to me how small some of the parts are for such a big scale. I'd be better off sticking to 1/700 scale!

Cheers, Tom