HpH conversion set 1/32 MiG-23BN is officially out

Siola

9 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So I’m having my CAD guy do the Delta-N pod, the main IP, and the nose gear doors with the bulges in them.  

What I need to find out is how many people would be interested in a set of them?  You can’t build an accurate MiG-23BN from the HpH set without those items (sorry, not going to get into MiG-27 stuff).  If you’re interested, please let me know so I can figure out if we need to go to the trouble of creating molds, or simply 3D printing them (on a very high end machine) to order.  Right now I have no clue on the cost, so just gauging interest.

Jennings,

great news!Count me in for 1 set!

Cheers - Reimund

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

So I’m having my CAD guy do the Delta-N pod, the main IP, and the nose gear doors with the bulges in them.  

What I need to find out is how many people would be interested in a set of them?  You can’t build an accurate MiG-23BN from the HpH set without those items (sorry, not going to get into MiG-27 stuff).  If you’re interested, please let me know so I can figure out if we need to go to the trouble of creating molds, or simply 3D printing them (on a very high end machine) to order.  Right now I have no clue on the cost, so just gauging interest.

Thanks for doing this - I'm in for two sets

Hi gents,

As I was looking for other pictures, I found that one on a Russian website:

izxJVSp.jpg

It is not a 23BN but a MiG-27 and very probably a late type at the beginning of the eighties (black and white picture but with a false UB canopy painted on the spine and the additional switches panel on the rear bulkhead). However, look closely at the armor rear edge location!

There is an angle so it is difficult to be 100% affirmative but this one rather looks a little bit more like the HpH depiction even if the rear edge location does not look to be that far backwards. Note that the front end location did not really change in comparison with the pictures I published last week. By the way,  I also checked other starboard side pictures. They were not as good but were similar to the prior ones (armor rear edge aligned with the canopy). Accordingly, I'm wondering if MiG did not use armor plates with slightly different lengths.

So, I cannot conclude if this means the MiG-23BN nose is correct or not at this stage but at least there are some reasons to consider it is "possibly more accurate". At least now you have a better reason to leave your kit as it is unless you decided to reproduce a plane that is clearly showing the common armor configuration.

I know now what I will do as correcting that fully was going to be quite time-consuming. I will probably simply remove a little bit of the rear edge. As I had a lot of difficulties to find good pictures of Soviet early MiG-27s, I was considering not reproducing a specific plane. Doing the same for a BN is probably a good strategy as well!

Thierry

Alas, the MiG-27M had a noticeably different IP.

All mud-movers marks had different front instrument panels, the side consoles being globally identical.

The port side of the IP was generally identical whereas the top and the starboard side were noticeably different.

Edited by thierry laurent
Edited for correction

Indeed.

Note that modifying or making oneself an IP out of photoetched parts is not that difficult. You need a good reference, a good eyesight, good lighting, patience and a trick: Do not use CA glue!!! 

I made mine with Klear in an old bottle of Tamiya glue (you can use any acrylic clear with a small brush) and this is relatively easy. 

For a Mig-27M, the important change will be the large TV-shaped screen on the top right side of the IP. 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Hello,

is this and early MiG-27?...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988508-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-27-flogger/

Note the nose, no-lerxs.

What is the "canoe" under the fuselage? Is it a cover for the empty cannon vane or other?

CIAO!

Piero

Indeed,

This is a an early MiG-27 (known as MiG-27 without suffix) and surely not a MiG-27K. This is the version I'm building right now! To me, it has the best aesthetical features of the series.

The K had a very different nose with a rounded antenna protruding on top of the nose, did not have anymore the pods on the wing gloves and had indeed LERX ECM fairings. There were also some distinct cockpit differences and other minor external differences (such as the double hinge in the middle of the rudder, angled "danger" markings on the air intakes, etc.).

The pod under the belly was sometimes replacing the gun. It was required to guide some early air to ground missiles.

Sadly, the K and M(/D) had more attractive markings...!

Hth

Thierry

Just to clarify the air to ground versions family:

The first version was the 23BN.It was not largely used by the Soviets who realized soon the limitations of that version and were preparing an improved version: the BM, more optimized to low altitude and basic airfields. So, the BN quickly became the export version according to the old principle: no problem to support our comrades fighting against the imperialism with milk deliveries as far as we keep the cream for ourselves!

The MiG-23BM arrived and was quickly renamed MiG-27. It was later renamed 'without suffix' to differentiate it from the later version that was already developed. It had the same nose than the BN. 

Indeed, the initial MiG-27 had some limitations (e.g. no possibility to use advanced tv/laser-guided weapons). So, the K was developed. It can be easily differentiated thanks to the removal of the wing gloves pods, the arrival of the LERX ECM fairings and the new nose with its top antenna. 

Alas, the K was very expensive to produce. So a simpler and cheaper version with similar capabilities was designed. This was the M. The main difference with the K is the redesigned nose without the top antenna but with a large angular fairing under the nose. 

Then, the early 27 went back to the factory to be updated to the M level. They are known as D. 

So, there are three types of noses: the 23BN/early 27 one, the 27K one and the 27M/D one. 

Note that the MiG-27 was not exported during the cold war. The only exception was the licence agreement with India that occured ten years after the 27 production start. Other users got their planes after the collapse of the Soviet Union. 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

I would be in for one set.