Sign in to follow this  
MARU5137

Hypersonic Race is On...!

What would be the point? Where would cost vs. flight time over distance make a hypersonic airliner viable? If such an aircraft were restricted to flying at it's designed cruise speed over open ocean, like the Concorde, would the same issues the Concorde had apply? Flight restrictions doomed the Concorde to being a very expensive novelty, as did the arrival of widebody jumbos able to provide relatively inexpensive airfare available to a lot more people.

my but is some country with a red star

Your butt ?......Harv :rofl:

The boeing SST was nice. There are still kits of it to find on ebay. Since I had a small metal toy of it as kid i naturally also must get, at some date, a big plastic model of it.

It doesn't have the restrictions of concord et al because it would fly in a low orbit type altitude and the sound wouldn't reach the ground and it would be able to travel from London to Sydney with half the fuel as the second half of the trip would be glide reentry

It doesn't matter if it is only a game now at the beginning, or if it seems rather pointless to small minded people who cannot see beyond the nose on their faces. Hypersonic travel will advance inexorably simply because it is a new challenge for humans to conqueror and develop. 

Humankind advances because of the challenges presented by new discoveries made in science and correspondingly new developments in technology. 

Many humans need challenges to make life worth living. So they go out of the box and break out of the envelopes as often as they can.  The rest of the people get on with their ordinary lives and are happy with that. 

No problem with that as we humans are all different but It just pisses me off when the people with limited imaginations talk negatively about what the innovators are trying to do. So there will be problems to solve with fuel costs or with modifying airports to accommodate the new aircraft, or one of  myriad of problems these special craft will require. No big deal, we humans will solve all the problems if the new developments warrant it. The SSTs were withdrawn from service because of the special problems they generated. Well, not everything we invent is economically feasible, but we will develop these things because they are there to be invented. 

Rant over.

"Beam me up, Scotty, maybe my luggage is still in the closet.

:innocent:

Edited by ssculptor

No way on  the hypersonic flight.  Has anyone here ever seen that 60's tv show Land of the Giants?  Don't want that happening to me.  I'll take  the 12 hour flight to Australia.

Jerry