Me 262B-1a/U1 "Red 8"

Madmax

The South African National Museum of Military History is a wonderful place. Situated in a sought after suburb of Johannesburg, it houses some real treasures, and this aircraft is arguably the jewel in its crown.

Captured at Schleswig-Jagel at the end of the war, "Red 8" was flown to England where it was test-flown and evaluated. The engine life of the the Jumo 004 was a matter of some concern, and the aircraft was soon put out to pasture. Through some remarkable circumstances, WNr 110305 ended up being gifted to South Africa and has survived intact whilst other aircraft of the same shipment rotted away. It stood in a hangar at the Central Flying School in Dunnottar for many years. Fortunately a young aviation enthusiast (eventually historian) named Ron Belling was invited to see the aircraft in 1954, and he made detailed notes, drawings, and most importantly took colour samples. It was still in its original paint at the time. Then the SAAF decided to give it to the Military History Museum, but not before repainting it in some fanciful colour scheme. Ouch.

Luckily the museum's curator got wind of Belling's research, and had him repaint the aircraft in the 1970's. This process was well documented in an article in this magazine.

Air_Int_04_75_Large-L.jpg

After Ron's meticulous work, the aircraft was virtually identical to how it looked in photographs taken at Schleswig-Jagel - right down to the style of mottling. Sadly it has been repainted (twice at least) in recent years, and all sorts of changes have crept in. Suffice it to say that although it is physically still sound, it is historically not.

I was very keen to find out how the aircraft should look, and how difficult the process is, from research to application. I don't claim that this is a definitive outcome, but I believe it to be closer to how it looked in 1945, compared with what we see in the museum today. 

This is the Trumpeter kit, with Eduard's "Brassin" resin wheels, Master antenna, and some of the Montex masks.

IMG_6797-XL.jpg

IMG_6788-XL.jpg

IMG_6820-XL.jpg

IMG_6823-XL.jpg

IMG_6827-XL.jpg

IMG_6830-XL.jpg

IMG_6839-XL.jpg

IMG_6850-XL.jpg

IMG_6883-XL.jpg

IMG_6857-XL.jpg

IMG_6863-XL.jpg

IMG_6874-XL.jpg

IMG_6878-XL.jpg

Hi Kagemusha and Kevin, thanks for your immediate response!

Mark, here is how the dimples in the panel behind the wing were done. It is a very distinctive feature, and I'm not sure of its technical nature. Maybe a prototype "honeycomb" structure?

IMG_6293-XL.jpg

After scraping the indentations with a scalpel, I sanded the panel smooth with a Tamiya sponge.

IMG_6294-XL.jpg

G-Man, I'd hate to know just how much has been lost by re-painting.

Alain, you are too kind! Small world indeed...

Wackyracer and Rod, many thanks for you support.

Thanks Zero77, the mottle on this aircraft is a major feature. Here you can see how it was originally, the way Belling painted it, and the way it looks today:

c819e2f40ca46aed93b931def0011ed3-L.jpg

262_B_b-XL.jpg

IMG_5779-XL.jpg

The arrows point out other deviations that have occurred over time.