Trumpeter A-4M Canopy in the open position

Greg W

What do you think of this idea...

- use a Dremel tool with buffing wheels and aluminum polish on the glossy side of household aluminum foil wrap

- cut, trim with hobby knife or punch out mirror shape from the polished foil

- use Future Floor Polish to glue the foil to photoetch mirror or scratch built mirror 

- coat top of foil with Future for glass effect and seal foil

RYDsKqh.jpg

Edited by GDW

Here are the results of my foray into metal polishing. This can definitely work. I need to seek out a knowledgeable expert on metal finishing in order to do this right (achieve a true mirror effect) but this experiment proves that this isn't a dumb idea. Check it out...

kNENlhs.jpg

B2CEdXn.jpg

Below is the reflected image of my cellphone in the polished foil.

2f8jj1q.jpg

JkkL6kt.jpg

This is worth pursuing. Greg

Edited by GDW

Just now, GDW said:

21 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

EXCELLENT method of polishing Foil...:clap2:

And SUPERB workmanship  ....  look forward to seeing more of your exciting build. :m0152:

ROCK ON !!  :punk:

Thanks MARU. Try it out and let me know how it goes. The size of the patch I polished was a little smaller than a 3" x 5" card. I would recommend working a smaller area. Greg

1 hour ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

You can also try this!!!  It has adhesive on the back already

https://www.ebay.com/i/231455061058?chn=ps

Excellent idea! I have some on hand too. Once I learn from someone who knows how to do this properly, I will test the process on both the heavy duty aluminum foil and the chrome bare metal foil. 

Speaking of aircraft mirrors, the photos below were taken at the R.A.F. museum in Hendon, London. I'm looking in same mirror that Sir Douglas Bader used! 

iLeHjHZ.jpg

AQYJl9M.jpg

All great mirror suggestions, and quite a technique with polishing!

That pushes my lazy modeler factor I admit.

Since Acft. mirrors aren't huge even in our scale,

I use the little chrome metal strips inside those rectangular white plastic anti-theft casings

attached inside packaging of pricey items. Cut one end open to remove the strips. Then use

sharp scissors and cut to size.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:38 AM, GDW said:

Excellent idea! I have some on hand too. Once I learn from someone who knows how to do this properly, I will test the process on both the heavy duty aluminum foil and the chrome bare metal foil. 

Speaking of aircraft mirrors, the photos below were taken at the R.A.F. museum in Hendon, London. I'm looking in same mirror that Sir Douglas Bader used! 

iLeHjHZ.jpg

AQYJl9M.jpg

Thats not how you take a selfie. 

Guest Maxim
On 7/12/2018 at 5:31 PM, hamfists nz said:

By the way..what product is your ejection seat? It looks much nicer that the kits

The best seat is the Wolf pack seat. Really nice and the parachute pack doesn't look like a sofa cushion like the Avionix seat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 3:07 AM, hamfists nz said:

This is good. I was wondering how to do this. My A-4 is in a 4 year hiatus waiting for Anthony in NZ’s exciting cockpit project. I think I need to also make the bulkhead. If the Brazilian version is the same as the NZ version..there is a loose (looks like canvas) strap that flaps around on one side that is for the pilot to pull the canopy down with. 

Check out this build thread. The canopy detailing is appropriate for your project. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027738-ran-a4g-skyhawk/