JohnB

Revell '51D-5

I have gotten some of the early items (seat and instrument panel) done but wanted to post some photos comparing kit parts to their Tamiya brothers. NOT knocking the kit, just some comparisons.

I used the kit instrument decal on the Tamiya panel (fit just right). I intend to use the Tamiya seat, instrument panel and canopy. The kit canopy unfortunately has a fair amount of distortion as does the windscreen.

As you can see I have added FineMolds seat belts to the Tamiya seat and a Eduard piece to the instrument panel.

XVIslzw.jpg

JcNagnD.jpg

tJTMFKB.jpg

lovin  this!  this is my plan as well as I have  spares from my P51 20 build as well!

It's nice to have a bunch of "leftovers" from Tamiya builds. I have SEVERAL canopies to choose from. LOL Too bad about the windscreen though. No leftovers for that.

Edited by JohnB

btw do the  shrouded exhaust fit in the revell bird?  I built my tamiya with the unshrouded ones hence a left over as well.  for some reason I ended up with about  5-6 canopys as well I think I asked tamiya for extra  as I lost then found mine

Edited by dashotgun

btw do the  shrouded exhaust fit in the revell bird?  I built my tamiya with the unshrouded ones hence a left over as well.  for some reason I ended up with about  5-6 canopys as well I think I asked tamiya for extra  as I lost then found mine

I haven't tried test fitting those just yet but I'b bet they will fit.

And if not, there are exhaust shrouds in the Revell kit

Richard

John

"The kit canopy unfortunately has a fair amount of distortion as does the windscreen."

I think you have identified what is the weakest aspect of the kit for me. Mainly as it is, unless you are blessed with Tamiya spares, not easy/impossible to improve. I have and will continue to sand the canopy to see if that improves matters. Regarding the sink marks on the front panel of the windscreen (due to thickness with armoured glass) I wonder if Future's 'self levelling capacity would, over a series of applications reduce/remove the sink marks? I shall give that a go.

Matt

John

"The kit canopy unfortunately has a fair amount of distortion as does the windscreen."

I think you have identified what is the weakest aspect of the kit for me. Mainly as it is, unless you are blessed with Tamiya spares, not easy/impossible to improve. I have and will continue to sand the canopy to see if that improves matters. Regarding the sink marks on the front panel of the windscreen (due to thickness with armoured glass) I wonder if Future's 'self levelling capacity would, over a series of applications reduce/remove the sink marks? I shall give that a go.

Matt

I would be interested to see if the Future works.

Just loaded up the front part of the windscreen with it... see how it looks in the morning.. Could take a couple of applications.

Matt

Well, it hasn't really worked. Of course the thing is that as Future dries it looses volume and shrinks back onto the surface of the part (why we like it for canopies etc). So I have a clearer but still slightly rippled windscreen. I suspect some of the distortion is from features within the clear plastic anyway...

I suspect that apart from the 'glamour shots' we take of our models this won't be all that visible on the completed kit sitting on a shelf.

Matt

Well, it hasn't really worked. Of course the thing is that as Future dries it looses volume and shrinks back onto the surface of the part (why we like it for canopies etc). So I have a clearer but still slightly rippled windscreen. I suspect some of the distortion is from features within the clear plastic anyway...

I suspect that apart from the 'glamour shots' we take of our models this won't be all that visible on the completed kit sitting on a shelf.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I'll probably just use mine as is.

John

Seeing as you have the Tamiya parts to hand, how does the Tamiya windscreen relate to the Revell fuselage? I don't know if Tamiya have gone down the same path as Revell, or taken a more Dragon like approach to this part. Just wondering if I could buy Tamiya spares to replace..?

Matt

I've never tried this (or seen it done for that matter). How about cutting out the 'glass' leaving just the frame, then fitting clear sheet plastic? Obviously, this won't work for the bubble, it should work for the screen

Richard