Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Black Knights

Kylenlord

You sure you  want to risk using an Aires resin kit?

The Aires pit is excellent and fits perfectly. I have no idea why everybody is always complaining about Aires cockpits - I have never ever had any issues with Aires cockpits and I have used quite a few already...

The Tamiya kit certainly isn't up to date when it comes to detail and surface detail, but it is still the best proportioned 1/32 Tomcat kit and can be built into an absolute gem with a bit of effort. I have to admit I don't find it enjoyable to build - my is stalled since a few years already...

I Just read elsewhere that the AIres pit has to be sanded down to almost transparent state to fit. 

I too have never really had any issues fitting a Aires pit. Now the "sand til its transparent" syndrome usually seems to come from their wheel bays. I can attest to this directly, as my SU wheel bays were legitimately paper thin and translucent, as you could see directly through them when held up to the light. 

I think Aires has gotten better, but Id not have any issues with ordering or using their cockpits.  

Aw, I still drop in from time to time and see you lot abusing expensive plastic!

:evil_laugh:

If I see something I actually can contribute to then I'll give my thoughts.

Otherwise, as regards the Aires stuff, I used the Avionix/Black box "B" cockpit set for mine.

Good stuff and no real problems.

I see they do an "A" version under ref : Avionix BLC32013.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BLC32013

Might be an alternative to the Aires stuff.

:)

Bugger, missed ya again!    Stop in more often you git!  :lol: 

I too have never really had any issues fitting a Aires pit. Now the "sand til its transparent" syndrome usually seems to come from their wheel bays. I can attest to this directly, as my SU wheel bays were legitimately paper thin and translucent, as you could see directly through them when held up to the light. 

I think Aires has gotten better, but Id not have any issues with ordering or using their cockpits.  

No Brian,

It was your limited skill that resulted in paper thin wheel wells.

Try sanding the wing instead.

:hi: :goodjob:

Good to see you two poking fun at each other again. Just like old times

I fitted the Aires pit and don't remember it being particularly difficult. The detail is extremely impressive so I hope your's goes well.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

The Aires exhausts cans are a great way to detail your jet also, no seams and amazing details on all models of tomcat. The list is endless, Eduard photo etch, starfighters vents on shapways, zactomodels missiles, and although thy eyes zactomodels intakes are for the trumpeter kit, he does make the fuel tank pileons for the Tamiya kit. Then there's the list of decals, I think that I might need to get my tomcat collection out soon!

🤔

Well I can immediately give you two examples of Aires that do not fit whatever you do unless damaging the parts: the F4U Corsair wheel wells and the Starfighter cockpit. I had serious problems with some others but they do not jump immediately to my mind. In any case the situation is very variable. This go from perfect drop fit to total nightmare...

Thanks for the input guys,

I'm leaning towards the avionix pit but I'll wait until squadron has them in stock then decide. Unless Hannants ships to the U.S. This will be my first resin modification so if things don't fit well I'll just assume that's how they are.

There is much to consider for other aftermarket goodies, it's all so tempting but I'd still like be reasonable about how much I put into it.

Thanks again,

Kyle