HK Models 1/32 B17G

Vynce804

Wonderful work Matt! The detail and weathering is just wonderful. Just had one question. The SN# and VP*X markings, are they not Texas Raiders? I know the Commemorative Air Force has a B-17G with 483872/ VP*X. Just curious if you looked into that while doing research? Again, amazing job on the model. It is definitely on my to buy list.

BG 

Hi BG, that's a great question and I did do a little research. The original 381st Bomb Group B17 VP-X, serial number 44-83512 was nicknamed "Princess Pat". The ‘Texas raiders aircraft l think served with the us navy and after being sold into civilians hands in the late 50's underwent a restoration and was given the name ,Texas Raiders'. I wanted to model a 381st machine and the Texas raiders decals were the only ones available, unfortunately I didn't want to use the nose art as I felt it looks a little too modern. Choosing the nose art was one of the most difficult parts of the build and I went through several iterations before noticing ‘Betty Lou' on the decal sheet from the Tamiya F4E. It just looked right was simple and added a nice splash of colour to the nose.

Cheers

Matt

Can a moderator nuke this thread?  Seriously, I don't need to see things like this!  I took an oath to myself to not build the big 4 engine kits, but you guys keep reeling me in.  I find myself watching eBay for deals.  No, stop it! I don't want you!  My house is not big enough!  I'll wind up building a coffee table to put it in.  :BANGHEAD2:    :mental:   I'll be in a straight jacket soon reading these posts.  

That build is gorgeous.  Well done!

EDIT  on 3/20: I'm done. Stick me with a fork.  I now own one of the E/F kits. I blame this thread and the 20% ebay discount deal they were running.

Edited by ScottsGT