Not another ROG P-51D Mustang? Lets call her done!

1to1scale

Well, I had a major mishap last Wednesday, I had a lot of issues painting the Tamiya gloss yellow. It was coming out of the airbrush super thick and rough, I keep thinning it more and more, then all of the sudden, it was so thin, it wouldn't stay. It would puddle and pool and developed ripples of color. I can only guess that the bottle had to be old. I decided to just leave it alone, let it dry, walk away, and I will come back later to sand and respray with fresh jar of yellow. I didn't get any pictures, because I had considered binning the whole model, just pulling the cockpit for transplant to a Hasegawa kit.

Overnight, a miracle happened, since I had thinned it so much and it was a humid rainy night, it leveled out and the rough texture smoothed out. I did have to do a little sanding with some 2000 grit to smooth the orange peel. I went over all the yellow with fine sanding pads, then resprayed the yellow. The new jar did the trick and covered much better. Below is a pic of it masked off. You can see I had to fill and sand again on the seam in front and behind the cockpit. At this point, I have sprayed red, masked ebpverything off, and sanded the whole model with 2000, then 3200 grit, now ready for primer.

OaHVrzl.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

I have a nice smooth layer of primer.

nPtLcJ8.jpg

I fought with this seam along the spine, finally got it hid.

299NTSv.jpg

Finally got this seam to hide

BVhQjWx.jpg

Masking tape madness, mid spray.

KYUrPih.jpg

Final result. I ended up with 5 metal shades on it, plus White aluminum on the rudder and elevators.

sSWNrJi.jpg

nMMFEvl.jpg

I still need to mask and spray a couple wing panels and landing gear doors, but after 2 1/2 hours with paint in my airbrush, it was crying for a tear down and clean.

Edited by 1to1scale

Very nice.

You're using the Vallejo water based metallics... how do you find they spray and cover?

There's going to be a flurry of these crossing the finish line in the next weeks.

Matt

T

Very nice.

You're using the Vallejo water based metallics... how do you find they spray and cover?

There's going to be a flurry of these crossing the finish line in the next weeks.

Matt

They cover very well, much better than an allclad, dry fast, tape lift is rare, if it does, then you need to let it dry longer. Usually, colors dry between 15-30 min and can be masked over with de-tacked tamiya. 

The biggest critical factor is to spray at very low pressure and with very little paint flow, I do 12-15 psi and just barely any paint flow. They are thin, cover well, and will spray fast. You can overspray to touch up an area if needed as soon as it dries to the touch (5 min). I have a few goofs I need to sand and fix today. 

Here is what I used, Stynilrez Grey primer (my favorite in tests).

ALL metal colors were Vallejo Metal Air.

77.724 Silver --- painted wings top and bottom, and landing gear

77.701 Aluminum --- overall body and tail, flaps, Aux fuel tanks.

77.717 Dull Aluminum --- 2nd major accent color, ailerons, lower radiator scoop (this one takes much longer to dry before masking, maybe 45 min)

77.706 White Aluminum --- Fabric covered tail surfaces

77.704 Pale Burnt Metal --- exhaust panels

77.703 Dark Aluminum --- upper rudder, lower fuel tank panels, a few accent panels

Tamiya X-7 Red --- Perfect match to the Eaglecals Red for Flying Dutchman.

Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow --- Wing and Tail ID stripes.