Resin tail for Revell P-51D, pictures and review.

1to1scale

That appears to be the unfilleted tail, which is what the kit has already. The filleted tail is on the sprue with the fuselage halves.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144924/40/7

Edited by Dave Williams

You may have wanted to mention in the review that you used the spreader bar since the photo gives an extremely misleading impression of the fit. May want to consider taking a new photo with the radiator assembly/ rear fuselage bottom plate installed so we can see the actual fit.

Lol, not misleading, just didn't want to start chopping up kit parts before I can gt my hands on more Revell kits. The Revell radiator and tail wheel assy simply does not fit without modification.

As the first one I am building is the “Flying Dutchmanâ€, which does not need the tail. As soon as I get ahold of a second Revell kit, I will probably fit this tail to it.

I want to point out the just about a week ago I was struggling to find Decals I like for the Revell kit without the tail fillet. I came across Kevin's ad on Facebook for these tails, so at $11 each, I ordered three. I have no stake it this game, I paid for my tails, and have no connection other than trying to give a fair review for people who might be interested. I am not misleading anyone. I posted detailed, up close pictures, warts and all. Please don't suggest I am misleading you. If you don't like the tail, don't order it, as this is not a plug and play Tamiya part. For those of us that plan to build a few Mustangs this year, it's a good solution. You could feasibly build a filleted tail early “D†Mustang for $40. For most people, it is not an easy solution. Yes it will require some problem solving, but there are many other conversion parts out there that require similar work. This tail is cheap, it will also require some effort, but as I said, it's shape is good. My two biggest gripes were the rudder and tail wheel well, the other issues are simple fixes.

When I build a mustang that will use this tail (probably “Old Crowâ€), I will post pictures then.

Edited by 1to1scale

I will add that for the money I spent on a set of brassin wheels, you can have a whole tail assembly. So for the money, it's a steal.

I appreciate your review Mark. Very honest and balanced. The tail you have was from mold #1. I am currently on mold #4 and have made changes along the way. The problem of small pits in the casting has been eliminated after a discussion with my casting supply rep. The problem was a result of molding RTV rubber reacting to injection molded plastic.  I have instituted their recommendations to eliminate the issue and now casting smooth surfaced tails.

When mastering parts considerations have to be made to be able to pull the part from a mold. Deep undercuts such as tailwheel box and slot and tab fitments have to be weighed. Some give and take between function, accuracy, and production has to be accepted. For a resin caster, it's a matter of having a place to put the tail wheel. To make casting this part, I had to bevel the front and rear wall to allow pulling the part out without tearing the mold. Mold material is expensive, and a kick in the pants when you do blow out a mold on the 4th cast. My tail mold #4 and all subsequent molds are being successfully cast. Further, as I have had to literally reverse the pour stub on mold #4 in order to have neat, tidy tail wheel boxes, the pour stub is also a bit of a locator now to insert into the back of the kit fuselage. What I did on my demo model is I blanked of the hole in the kit fuselage with some Evergreen sheet stock. I was then able to get a solid mounting of the tail to the fuselage. I can't even break it off. I further had to add a thin shim to the spine of the kit to bring the sides out best to match my casting. The pictures Mark posted last week show a installation without any filler used. I did skiff the resin sides with my #11 blade to bring it all in for a match. I actually was happier with thew look of the plane after installing my resin piece in then I was after I glued home the undersized kit tail. It just looked like a lot of serious work to get it to look right. I hate using filler. That poor fit is one contributing factor to my making this set in the first place. 

This is largest set I make. Previous sets have been mostly in 1/48 scale and 1/72. 

The rudder in my set has been remastered to bring in the horizontal rib tape characteristic feature. The remastered set with alternet tail, flaps, lower engine panel is currently available on Ebay for a reduced price of $12.00. That's 11 pieces. $3 shipping USA. Looks for ebay seller 109ace.

Edited by 109ace

Guest Peterpools

Thank you for the excellent review and certainly food for thought. I've built three Tamiya Mustangs to date, including one early version without the fillet. As I read all the comments, I was pretty well decided on holding off and waiting for the later Mustang version Revell will be offering, otherwise there wouldn't have been any reason to mold the kit as they did. Now knowing there have been improvements in the resin conversion, I am again considering buying a few sets. Just waiting for a review of photos of the updated conversion. NO real rush as I am still waiting for my on line vendors to actually have the kit in stock

Peter

Thank you for the excellent review and certainly food for thought. I've built three Tamiya Mustangs to date, including one early version without the fillet. As I read all the comments, I was pretty well decided on holding off and waiting for the later Mustang version Revell will be offering, otherwise there wouldn't have been any reason to mold the kit as they did. Now knowing there have been improvements in the resin conversion, I am again considering buying a few sets. Just waiting for a review of photos of the updated conversion. NO real rush as I am still waiting for my on line vendors to actually have the kit in stock

Peter

I am right now at this moment mastering a new rudder that I will have in a mold in an hour and casting tonight. I am mastering it from actual photos. Molds have self life. They are only good for so many casts. As Mark discovered a small piece of blue mold materiel in his part, molds wear out. Less if a part is rough on it. As these tails are. I expect to always have to make new molds. And before I do, I always look at a better way. I was thinking of doing a Twofer Two Tuesday Deal this week. Buy one complete set. Yes, the "Super Set" for $15 and get a second one free. We'll see how I feel come Monday night.

The resin casters worst nightmare "resin reps" they try to sell you the most expensive stuff, but to be fair they are quite good with samples (have just disposed of  kilos of samples during the move)

As  you know I have been in this game for a few years and would be more than happy to help with any technical issues please pm me if I can help.

ATB

Bob

The resin casters worst nightmare "resin reps" they try to sell you the most expensive stuff, but to be fair they are quite good with samples (have just disposed of  kilos of samples during the move)

As  you know I have been in this game for a few years and would be more than happy to help with any technical issues please pm me if I can help.

ATB

Bob

Thanks Bob! I'll keep you handy.