Trumpeter 1/32 P-40F Soon to be Released??

Bill M.

On December 19, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Dave Williams said:

The question was more about, why did they bother to do it for the Wildcat kit in the first place then?

My hunch and I bought the first release is that the darn thing did not look like the real aircraft.. and the company had planes/plans in the pipeline they needed customers to buy.  The kit also "pioneered" PE flaps hinges that IMHO did not add any value.  I used the kit for parts for my Revell Wildcat where improvements could be made.  The rest for airbrush and paint testing.

oh yeah.  I have given up my need to be "first mouse to the cheese".  I now wait for a comprehensive review from a few people that actually have the kit.

Rick

On 12/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

In other words: Shut up and build it or don't. Golly, look at what you made Trumpeter do with all of your petty criticisms, so pipe down or they won't produce any more plastic airplanes and we'll be sorry.

Not a big fan of censorship, expressed or implied.  Others?

Censorship or basic realities of the world?

Aircraft modelers have flooded forums with rampant criticism of Trumpeter and Hobbyboss since the Wildcat justified or not.

In some cases yes in others far from it.

Armor modelers have welcomed a flood of Russian Armour never touched before with open arms.

Just take a look at the past pages on this site for some fine examples of hyperbole and gross exageration.

It didnt matter what the kit was like it was just a forum flood of standard anti Trumpeter hyperbole exagerating errors and lynch mob mentality.

So instead of Devastators, F-100F’s, Prowlers, F-111’s we get...1/16 Jagdtigers, MkIV’s, Panthers, King Tigers and every Russian AFV for the last 30 years in 35th.

Realistic assesment of Trumpeter aircraft stopped at the Wildcat and the good old boys stride in at every turn to magnify the smallest errors into huge issues.

Has any single manufacturer helper the model industry so much?

Their failures have lead to how much resin etc?

Think of how many aftermarket producers would never of existed or be smaller without Trumpeter?

Their problems have actually launched some great dealers like Zactoman replacing parts and resulting in some stunning kits, 

Like em or not the flow down they provided in resin, decals, PE etc is pretty staggering.

PS a build of the P-40F and some close ups.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6011-trumpeter-p-40f-build-checkertails/

Edited by Darren Howie

On 1/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, Avenger2614 said:

I picked one up at the local hobby shop after looking in the box, and felt "it doesn't look that bad. . ." After getting it home and doing a little research/comparing to the excellent Hasegawa offering, I came up with a few solutions for it:

First, I'm going to shoehorn an Avionix resin cockpit for the P-40E into it, which should look the part and upon initial inspections will fit just fine after doing a little sanding on the rear armor plate/cockpit wall (the quarter window profile on the two kits are different). Also, as confirmed and well-known, the cockpit is far too shallow, but not nearly as bad as the P-40B/C kit. The Avionix cockpit will obviously correct this issue, as well as addressing the flat cockpit floor in the kit (replacing it with the correct angled floor where the two wings junction in the center of the cockpit). The Trumpeter instrument panel is much larger (in width, height, and detail proportion) than the Avionix, so hopefully the Trumpeter fuselage isn't too wide for the resin cockpit to fit correctly.

I can confirm the spinner is much more angular and pointy compared to the Hasegawa piece, but nothing a little careful sanding won't fix. If necessary, I could always make a resin copy of the Hasegawa spinner and mate it to the Trumpeter kit, but at this time I cannot confirm the noses have the same cross-section at the spinner plate. I'll get back to everybody on that one.

Also, I wish Trumpeter would get over the vinyl/rubber tire fad, as they just don't look right. I'll be adding Brassin wheels to mine, which look like they'll slide onto the kit struts with no modifications. The Brassin wheels really are a treat, it's just a shame to cover up those gorgeous hubs with the photo-etch wheel covers!

Hopefully I can do a WIP thread on this to show it's very possible, and with any luck I'll end up with a very passable (and cheaper) P-40F. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still holding onto my Grey Matters conversion to do the long-tail P-40L. Both will be done in North Africa markings, with the Trumpeter kit possibly (maybe) getting French livery.

I looks like (from the Trumpy site anyway) - the upper nose forward of the exhaust is too rounded on top where it meets spinner backplate?

Looking at scale plans of the Merlin engined F/L - it is more flat where it meets the spinner - Can you please verify?

Thanks,  Barry Williams

38 minutes ago, BJW said:

I looks like (from the Trumpy site anyway) - the upper nose forward of the exhaust is too rounded on top where it meets spinner backplate?

Looking at scale plans of the Merlin engined F/L - it is more flat where it meets the spinner - Can you please verify?

Thanks,  Barry Williams

Barry,

Yes, the nose is too sloped on the top, but as other have noted on other sites, there is enough plastic on the cowling that you can sand it more flat, but if I'm being Frank I'd say it really won't be noticeable unless you're a serious P-40F fanatic, and I reckon your pedestrian aircraft enthusiast doesn't even know the P-40 ever carried a Merlin powerplant. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary, but for my build, I'm going to focus my efforts on the cockpit and paint, and leave the nose and spinner alone.

-Daniel

My kit should arrive from SB this Friday with some resin wheels.  I will be cross checking it against the Hasegawa kits.  

Rick

PS I will be making a few of the recommend adjustments.  Sanding sticks poised for action 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Added PS

On 1/14/2019 at 4:03 AM, Darren Howie said:

Censorship or basic realities of the world?

Aircraft modelers have flooded forums with rampant criticism of Trumpeter and Hobbyboss since the Wildcat justified or not.

In some cases yes in others far from it.

Armor modelers have welcomed a flood of Russian Armour never touched before with open arms.

Just take a look at the past pages on this site for some fine examples of hyperbole and gross exageration.

It didnt matter what the kit was like it was just a forum flood of standard anti Trumpeter hyperbole exagerating errors and lynch mob mentality.

So instead of Devastators, F-100F’s, Prowlers, F-111’s we get...1/16 Jagdtigers, MkIV’s, Panthers, King Tigers and every Russian AFV for the last 30 years in 35th.

Realistic assesment of Trumpeter aircraft stopped at the Wildcat and the good old boys stride in at every turn to magnify the smallest errors into huge issues.

Has any single manufacturer helper the model industry so much?

Their failures have lead to how much resin etc?

Think of how many aftermarket producers would never of existed or be smaller without Trumpeter?

Their problems have actually launched some great dealers like Zactoman replacing parts and resulting in some stunning kits, 

Like em or not the flow down they provided in resin, decals, PE etc is pretty staggering.

PS a build of the P-40F and some close ups.

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6011-trumpeter-p-40f-build-checkertails/

Early candidate for best post of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, GeeBee said:

(...) received an email from Eduard : 

<<...There are no good news regarding the P-40K. From the release of our versions of the P-47 & P-40N, we learnt that modelers are not so much interested into 1/32 kits.

So, we do not plan to release the P-40K/E boxing.>>

Well, their Facebook page shows they are about to release a re-box of Hasegawa's P-40E in their "Bunny Fighter Club" series !

See post from Jan,29:

https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/